Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
I love the ‘LiveCode Error Lookup” plugin (by Richard Gaskin, revised by Jacque Gay), but in 8.1.1 (rc2) it doesn’t seem to work - am I doing something stupid?

Graham

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
I should have asked as a supplementary how one might find the textual version of numerical error codes oneself, for example, I have an error

347,0,0

and later

76,549,1

253,549,1

These are all to do with trying to delete a stack which has already been closed, like the IDE does with ‘close and remove from memory’ - but I have no idea what’s going wrong and am stuck.

Graham

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 16:22, I wrote:
>
> I love the ‘LiveCode Error Lookup” plugin (by Richard Gaskin, revised by Jacque Gay), but in 8.1.1 (rc2) it doesn’t seem to work - am I doing something stupid?
>
> Graham

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

mwieder
On 10/13/2016 07:30 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
> I should have asked as a supplementary how one might find the textual version of numerical error codes oneself, for example, I have an error
>
> 347,0,0

put line 347 of the executionerrors

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks very much Mark. G

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:07, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> put line 347 of the executionerrors

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
Spoke too soon - doesn’t work for me on 8.1.1 rc2. Also

put the number of lines of the executionerrors

just gives ‘bad factor’.

Confused…
]

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:09, I wrote:
>
> Thanks very much Mark. G
>
>> On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:07, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> put line 347 of the executionerrors

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Stephen Barncard-4
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> put the number of lines of the executionerrors

double-take :    this looks like executioners   when glanced at quickly.

Yikes.
First 'Delete Stack', now this!

... gotta turn the news off...

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel wrote:

 > I love the ‘LiveCode Error Lookup” plugin (by Richard Gaskin, revised
 > by Jacque Gay), but in 8.1.1 (rc2) it doesn’t seem to work - am I
 > doing something stupid?

My hunch is that the location of the error strings has changed between
versions.  I'll have to let Jacque do the update as I don't know where
the latest master copy lives (I guess at some point we should move that
to Github).

 > On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:07, Mark Wieder <ahsoftware at sonic.net> wrote:
 >
 > put line 347 of the executionerrors

Running:

  put the executionErrors

...in the Message Box throws an "error in source expression", and there
is no Dictionary entry for "executionErrors".

I believe I'd read somewhere that these are now stored in the engine -
is that the case?  If so, why doesn't querying the executionErrors work?

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Ali Lloyd-2
It's 'scriptExecutionErrors'

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:22 PM stephen barncard <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > put the number of lines of the executionerrors
>

> double-take :    this looks like executioners   when glanced at quickly.
>
> Yikes.
> First 'Delete Stack', now this!
>

> ... gotta turn the news off...
>
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
Phew - that at least is a simple fix!

Thanks - G

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:38, Ali Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's 'scriptExecutionErrors'
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 4:22 PM stephen barncard <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 8:17 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> put the number of lines of the executionerrors
>>

>> double-take :    this looks like executioners   when glanced at quickly.
>>
>> Yikes.
>> First 'Delete Stack', now this!
>>

>> ... gotta turn the news off...
>>
>> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
>> mixstream.org

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

I was mistaken:  it seems Jacque has already updated the tool to use the
scriptExecutionErrors function (apparently undocumented) if the older
error string list stored in stack "revErrorDisplay" is empty.

This should allow it to work in all versions from at least 5.5 and later.

Perhaps you have an older version of that stack?

I just added the most recent version of the LiveCode Error Lookup stack
to the Stacks section of LiveNet - in the IDE see Development -> Plugins
-> GoLiveNet

The version available there has been tested in v8.1.1 and 6.0 so it
should also work with everything in between.

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

J. Landman Gay
I uploaded a revision to User Samples some time ago when the problem first
arose. It branches lookups based on the LC version.

On October 13, 2016 10:35:19 AM Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Graham Samuel wrote:
>
>  > I love the ‘LiveCode Error Lookup” plugin (by Richard Gaskin, revised
>  > by Jacque Gay), but in 8.1.1 (rc2) it doesn’t seem to work - am I
>  > doing something stupid?
>
> My hunch is that the location of the error strings has changed between
> versions.  I'll have to let Jacque do the update as I don't know where
> the latest master copy lives (I guess at some point we should move that
> to Github).
>

>  > On 13 Oct 2016, at 17:07, Mark Wieder <ahsoftware at sonic.net> wrote:
>  >
>  > put line 347 of the executionerrors
>
> Running:
>
>   put the executionErrors
>
> ...in the Message Box throws an "error in source expression", and there
> is no Dictionary entry for "executionErrors".
>
> I believe I'd read somewhere that these are now stored in the engine -
> is that the case?  If so, why doesn't querying the executionErrors work?
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World Systems
>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

mwieder
Sorry for the typo.

Wrong:

type response
hit send
get caffeine

Right:

get caffeine
type into message box
copy working statement from message box
paste into email
hit send

 ahsoftware@gmail.com
 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Graham Samuel-4
Thanks Richard - I didn’t know how to update a plugin but I worked it out (you have to delete the old one manually). Anyway very useful - thanks to you and to Jacque.

Graham

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 18:01, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was mistaken:  it seems Jacque has already updated the tool to use the scriptExecutionErrors function (apparently undocumented) if the older error string list stored in stack "revErrorDisplay" is empty.
>
> This should allow it to work in all versions from at least 5.5 and later.
>
> Perhaps you have an older version of that stack?
>
> I just added the most recent version of the LiveCode Error Lookup stack to the Stacks section of LiveNet - in the IDE see Development -> Plugins -> GoLiveNet
>
> The version available there has been tested in v8.1.1 and 6.0 so it should also work with everything in between.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Devin Asay
The fact that scriptExecutionErrors function is undocumented is a confirmed bug. I’m not very familiar with it, but if anyone would supply me with a simple description I would be happy to add it to the Dictionary on github.

Devin

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Graham Samuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Richard - I didn’t know how to update a plugin but I worked it out (you have to delete the old one manually). Anyway very useful - thanks to you and to Jacque.
>
> Graham
>
>> On 13 Oct 2016, at 18:01, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was mistaken:  it seems Jacque has already updated the tool to use the scriptExecutionErrors function (apparently undocumented) if the older error string list stored in stack "revErrorDisplay" is empty.
>>
>> This should allow it to work in all versions from at least 5.5 and later.
>>
>> Perhaps you have an older version of that stack?
>>
>> I just added the most recent version of the LiveCode Error Lookup stack to the Stacks section of LiveNet - in the IDE see Development -> Plugins -> GoLiveNet
>>
>> The version available there has been tested in v8.1.1 and 6.0 so it should also work with everything in between.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

mwieder
Devin-

Both the scriptExecutionErrors and scriptParsingErrors global properties are currently undocumented. These contain the same lists that were formerly custom properties of card 1 of the error display stack. Both properties were introduced for the LC8 series, and the custom properties were removed at the same time.

The global properties contain a cr-separated list of error descriptions so that the numeric error value returned by the engine can be used as an index to retrieve the text.

Examples:
get line 347 of the scriptExecutionErrors
get line 61 of the scriptParsingErrors

 ahsoftware@gmail.com
 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Devin Asay

> On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:24 PM, mwieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devin-
>
> Both the scriptExecutionErrors and scriptParsingErrors global properties are
> currently undocumented. These contain the same lists that were formerly
> custom properties of card 1 of the error display stack. Both properties were
> introduced for the LC8 series, and the custom properties were removed at the
> same time.
>
> The global properties contain a cr-separated list of error descriptions so
> that the numeric error value returned by the engine can be used as an index
> to retrieve the text.
>
> Examples:
> get line 347 of the scriptExecutionErrors
> get line 61 of the scriptParsingErrors

Thanks, Mark. Here’s my first draft. Suggestions appreciated and I can modify it as needed.

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/4765

Devin

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Ali Lloyd-2
It's not actually correct that they were introduced in LC8 -- the
properties have been there since at least 6.0.1 (
https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/release-6.0.1/engine/src/lextable.cpp#L1343)
and probably before.

Previously the home stack would set the custom property of the error stack
on startup (using the engine properties), which to my mind is a slightly
bizarre state of affairs and I'm not sure why it was done that way.

On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Devin Asay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Oct 14, 2016, at 1:24 PM, mwieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Devin-
> >
> > Both the scriptExecutionErrors and scriptParsingErrors global properties
> are
> > currently undocumented. These contain the same lists that were formerly
> > custom properties of card 1 of the error display stack. Both properties
> were
> > introduced for the LC8 series, and the custom properties were removed at
> the
> > same time.
> >
> > The global properties contain a cr-separated list of error descriptions
> so
> > that the numeric error value returned by the engine can be used as an
> > to retrieve the text.
> >
> > Examples:
> > get line 347 of the scriptExecutionErrors
> > get line 61 of the scriptParsingErrors
>
> Thanks, Mark. Here’s my first draft. Suggestions appreciated and I can
> modify it as needed.
>
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/4765
>
> Devin
>

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Richard Gaskin
Ali Lloyd wrote:

 > It's not actually correct that they were introduced in LC8 --
 > the properties have been there since at least 6.0.1 (

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/release-6.0.1/engine/src/lextable.cpp#L1343)
 > and probably before.
 >
 > Previously the home stack would set the custom property of the error
 > stack on startup (using the engine properties), which to my mind is
 > a slightly bizarre state of affairs and I'm not sure why it was done
 > that way.

Prior to the error descriptions being added to the engine they had to be
somewhere, and since the error dialog was the one place they were always
needed putting them into a custom prop there made reasonable sense.

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Monte Goulding-2

> On 15 Oct 2016, at 7:55 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Prior to the error descriptions being added to the engine they had to be somewhere, and since the error dialog was the one place they were always needed putting them into a custom prop there made reasonable sense.

I suspect what Ali found odd was setting a custom property at startup from an engine property didn’t make sense. I find it odd too. Better to use the engine property directly where needed.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Is 'Error Lookup' broken?

Richard Gaskin
Monte Goulding wrote:

 > I suspect what Ali found odd was setting a custom property at startup
 > from an engine property didn’t make sense. I find it odd too. Better
 > to use the engine property directly where needed.

Dude, don't get me started on "Why is this IDE thing this way?" ;)

I have a list of entertaining explorations in that territory, but we
have bigger fish to fry....