Is WMV possible in Rev

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is WMV possible in Rev

RJ McNicol
Hi all.

I am new to this list and am plodding along in the studio version. I am seriously looking at the studio version to do cross platform projects.    I already have a slew of questions but I'll keep this brief.

Are windows media files easy to implement in standalone projects or would I be best to use QT.  Or maybe to better ask the question what do you pros consider the best option for  Mac and Windows compatibility?  

Cheers

RJ McNicol
Canada




_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

xtalkprogrammer
Hi RJ,

I have Flip4Mac installed and can play WMV files in Revolution,  
running on a Mac with Mac OS X. The best option for cross-platform  
compatibility probably is avi or mpg. These formats can still use a  
variety of encodings and you will want to make sure that the encoding  
is available for all platforms.

You could also write a script to detect the encoding needed for your  
files and present a dialog with information about where to get the  
necessary plugins. You could help your users by providing them with a  
direct link in the dialog that opens the correct web site.

Best,

Mark


Op 30-apr-2006, om 23:09 heeft RJ McNicol het volgende geschreven:

> Hi all.
>
> I am new to this list and am plodding along in the studio version.  
> I am seriously looking at the studio version to do cross platform  
> projects.    I already have a slew of questions but I'll keep this  
> brief.
>
> Are windows media files easy to implement in standalone projects or  
> would I be best to use QT.  Or maybe to better ask the question  
> what do you pros consider the best option for  Mac and Windows  
> compatibility?
>
> Cheers
>
> RJ McNicol
> Canada

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Economy-x-Talk Consultancy and Software Engineering
Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
Facebook: http://facebook.com/LiveCode.Beginner
KvK: 50277553
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

Dan Shafer-2
Mark is probably a more serious multimedia developer than I, but I've done a
lot with video and audio importand play in Rev in the past few months. My
view is almsot the same as his (and I, too, own Flip4Mac, a delightful
program that not only lets me play WMV files on OS X without using Windows
Media Player but also lets me save QT files in .WMV format, which for Web
delivery is a real godsend).

I think the best solution for cross-platform playback is definitely MP3. I
have not used .AVI primarily because I've found MP3 to be so useful.

However, there is one potential problem with MP3s and that is the one Mark
alludes to in his response. You really have to stick to very generic codecs
when you create your MP3 files or you will find yourself eitner saddled with
the responsibility of notifying your users what codec to get and how or with
unhappy users whose experience with your MP3s is not on a par with their
experience with "everyone else's" MP3s, making it, of course, your fault
that your sounds don't play well.

WIth QT, that's less a problem, and since Rev handles QT files seamlessly, I
tend to deliver my sound and video products to end users as a Rev app with
QT files stored as custom properties and bundled with the app. So far,
nobody has said they couldn't play those files on any platform and nobody
has yet complained about quality or anything else. So that's my first
solution when I'm delivering a Rev app. I use MP3s when I store sound on the
Web for download without benefit of a Rev application.

(There are other advantages to using Rev custom properties to store the
sound files. The user gets a single download, and you can avoid the
necessity of the user even having to know where the files are stored
because...in effect...they're not.)

On 4/30/06, Mark Schonewille <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hi RJ,
>
> I have Flip4Mac installed and can play WMV files in Revolution,
> running on a Mac with Mac OS X. The best option for cross-platform
> compatibility probably is avi or mpg. These formats can still use a
> variety of encodings and you will want to make sure that the encoding
> is available for all platforms.
>
> You could also write a script to detect the encoding needed for your
> files and present a dialog with information about where to get the
> necessary plugins. You could help your users by providing them with a
> direct link in the dialog that opens the correct web site.
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
>
> Op 30-apr-2006, om 23:09 heeft RJ McNicol het volgende geschreven:
>
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I am new to this list and am plodding along in the studio version.
> > I am seriously looking at the studio version to do cross platform
> > projects.    I already have a slew of questions but I'll keep this
> > brief.
> >
> > Are windows media files easy to implement in standalone projects or
> > would I be best to use QT.  Or maybe to better ask the question
> > what do you pros consider the best option for  Mac and Windows
> > compatibility?
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > RJ McNicol
> > Canada
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-revolution mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
>



--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Shafer, Information Product Consultant and Author
http://www.shafermedia.com
Get my book, "Revolution: Software at the Speed of Thought"
>From http://www.shafermediastore.com/tech_main.html
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

RJ McNicol
In reply to this post by xtalkprogrammer
Thanks for the quick replies Mark and Dan.

I'll go by both of your recommendations and probably stick with the built in
playback.  I'm on XP and Flip4Mac sounds like a great program.

I usually have a number of  video with narrations in my projects and when
the user clicks on the more info video icons in the interface the wmv's come
on full screen on the XP with no issues.

I've found avi's are just too darn big for an interactive CD.   Since newer
projects will be for OS X and XP I might look further into your Flip4Mac
option.

Cheers

RJ McNicol
Canada

_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

Stephen Barncard
Flip4Mac has been updated recently for compatibility with QT 7.0.4

>Thanks for the quick replies Mark and Dan.
>
>I'll go by both of your recommendations and probably stick with the
>built in playback.  I'm on XP and Flip4Mac sounds like a great
>program.
>
>I usually have a number of  video with narrations in my projects and
>when the user clicks on the more info video icons in the interface
>the wmv's come on full screen on the XP with no issues.
>
>I've found avi's are just too darn big for an interactive CD.
>Since newer projects will be for OS X and XP I might look further
>into your Flip4Mac option.
>
>Cheers
>
>RJ McNicol
>Canada

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o
- - -  - - - - - - - - -
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

Jesse Sng
In reply to this post by xtalkprogrammer
>Hi RJ,
>
>I have Flip4Mac installed and can play WMV files in Revolution,
>running on a Mac with Mac OS X. The best option for cross-platform
>compatibility probably is avi or mpg. These formats can still use a
>variety of encodings and you will want to make sure that the
>encoding is available for all platforms.

But assuming that you already have a library of stuff in WMV files,
how do we implement playback of WMV from within a Rev stack that will
work for BOTH OS X and Windows? Is there a way where this can be
done? This is assuming that there's a bunch of WMV files and it is
not possible nor desirable to transcode them to some other format
(losing quality in the process).


Jesse
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

xtalkprogrammer
Jesse,

Have you tried Flip4Mac? Having to install additional software is not  
very attractive for software that is distributed, but if re-encoding  
is not an option, Flip4Mac might be the solution.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering
http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Salery is the easiest way to get your own web store on-line: http://
www.salery.biz/salery.html



Op 1-mei-2006, om 2:08 heeft Jesse Sng het volgende geschreven:


>
> But assuming that you already have a library of stuff in WMV files,  
> how do we implement playback of WMV from within a Rev stack that  
> will work for BOTH OS X and Windows? Is there a way where this can  
> be done? This is assuming that there's a bunch of WMV files and it  
> is not possible nor desirable to transcode them to some other  
> format (losing quality in the process).
>
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution
Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Economy-x-Talk Consultancy and Software Engineering
Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtalkprogrammer
Facebook: http://facebook.com/LiveCode.Beginner
KvK: 50277553
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Is WMV possible in Rev

Jesse Sng
>Jesse,
>
>Have you tried Flip4Mac? Having to install additional software is
>not very attractive for software that is distributed, but if
>re-encoding is not an option, Flip4Mac might be the solution.
>
>Best,
>
>Mark

Flip4Mac works as a Mac solution. But what if you want to embed WMV
inside a stack running on Windows? Is there a way to do that?

The problem is simply that my source material (not within my control)
is in WMV. Else I would have had everything running on mp4 or AVC
with Quicktime on both OS X and Windows.


Jesse
_______________________________________________
use-revolution mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-revolution