Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
As I'm about to send this out to people, I've had a horrible thought:

Is it just the IDE that crashes on a regular basis, or do standalones crash
just as often?

*shudder*

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
My IDE was "crashing" but I traced it to an obscure infinite loop I inadvertently created, by creating a handler, which triggered something in a datagrid behavior which automatically called the original handler. It was a beatch to find. I believe that LC may detect these infinite loops (by the number of recursions?) and bails out when it happens. (It may also have something to do with memory allocation).

Also, are you using a "stable" version, or are you using developer previews on a regular basis?

Bob S

> On Feb 28, 2017, at 14:26 , Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As I'm about to send this out to people, I've had a horrible thought:
>
> Is it just the IDE that crashes on a regular basis, or do standalones crash
> just as often?
>
> *shudder*
>

> --
> Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.

Re: Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I don't know which platform you are deploying either the IDE or
standalones on; but I currently
use:

6.1.something and standalones on Mac OS 10.5.8 PPC

7.1.4, 8.1.3, 9.0.0 DP-4 andstandalones on Mac OS 10.7.5,

8.1.3 standalones on ReactOS 5 pre-release (!),

7.1.4, 8.1.3, 9.0.0 DP-5 andstandalones on Xubuntu 14.04 (32-bit),
Xubuntu 16.04 (64-bit) and WINE

pupils of mine take home standalones of mine to use on Mac, Windows of
all flavours, and Linux.

No crashes of either IDE or standalones.

I have a feeling that their may be something odd about the machine(s)
you are deploying to (possibly
something else you have installed is messing around with LiveCode).

Richmond.

On 3/1/17 12:26 am, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:
> As I'm about to send this out to people, I've had a horrible thought:
>
> Is it just the IDE that crashes on a regular basis, or do standalones crash
> just as often?
>
> *shudder*

Re: Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My IDE was "crashing" but I traced it to an obscure infinite loop I
> inadvertently created, by creating a handler, which triggered something in
> a datagrid behavior which automatically called the original handler. It was
> a beatch to find. I believe that LC may detect these infinite loops (by the
> number of recursions?) and bails out when it happens. (It may also have
> something to do with memory allocation).

No loops.  There are a pair of behaviors that relaunch themselves with
"send in" every 30 seconds or so.

> Also, are you using a "stable" version, or are you using developer
> previews on a regular basis?

All stable releases and release candidates.  I've never even launched 9,
and had to skip 6 entirely (the pirate code dots were so much worse than 5,
and 7 fixed it before 6).

As for richmond's suggestions, this is a bog-standard Sierra installation,
and there aren't any non-apple utilities installed, and 16gb ram on a
mid-2011 27" iMac, quad-core i5.

In fact, there isn't much *at all* installed, and rarely anything open but
lived ode, open office, iWork, filezilla, acrobat reader and professional,
scansnap, safari, firefox, and a brother printer driver

I use the latest 8 stable or rc, and until some 8.1.4 fixes, have to use
 7.1.4 for some combining of stacks.
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: Is it just the IDE that crashes, or are standalone at risk?

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
And today I note that most of the crashes come while attempting to save
stacks (thus my suspicion that it's related to that specific bug)