Quantcast

Is there any reason not to create a self-installing app?

Is there any reason not to create a self-installing app?

For pc and maybe mac, it seems like it would be possible for the app to have two modes. On first open, it would take the user through an installation process where it handles saving the various files and sub folders, and adding the start menu stuff.

When opened after that, it would just run normally.

Are there advantages to doing it that way, rather than using an install-creator program?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Is there any reason not to create a self-installing app?

> Am 30.04.2017 um 21:12 schrieb Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> For pc and maybe mac, it seems like it would be possible for the app to have two modes. On first open, it would take the user through an installation process where it handles saving the various files and sub folders, and adding the start menu stuff.
>
> When opened after that, it would just run normally.
>
> Are there advantages to doing it that way, rather than using an install-creator program?

The only advantage i would see is the fact that you do not have to rely on a 3rd party tool.

I for me prefer to use a 3rd party tool to create an installer for windows , in my case Innosetup or better said InstallGadget*.

Why, because an installer maker does all the work for me and i do not have to code that myself.

*A tool Monte created long time ago. It  uses Innosetup under the hood. The tool is very old, but is still working.  I replaced the older Innosetup files with current ones to support Windows 8 and 10. Unfortunately InstallGadget is not available any more. It was really so easy to create an installer with it.

For Mac i do not see a need for an installer if the program is just an app bundle. For such apps i am using DMG Canvas (http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas <http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas>) to create a DMG.

Matthias

> Sent from my iPhone

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

Re: Is there any reason not to create a self-installing app?

Have a look at Trevor's Levure framework.  It's an easy to make #1 happen.
Also, it's really easy to just make hack-a-stacks with it, too.  I was
pretty skeptical when I started using it a couple months ago, but once I
started using it, I stopped building anything the old way.

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Am 30.04.2017 um 21:12 schrieb Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > For pc and maybe mac, it seems like it would be possible for the app to
> have two modes. On first open, it would take the user through an
> installation process where it handles saving the various files and sub
> folders, and adding the start menu stuff.
> >
> > When opened after that, it would just run normally.
> >
> > Are there advantages to doing it that way, rather than using an
> install-creator program?
> >
> The only advantage i would see is the fact that you do not have to rely on
> a 3rd party tool.
>
> I for me prefer to use a 3rd party tool to create an installer for windows
> , in my case Innosetup or better said InstallGadget*.
>
> Why, because an installer maker does all the work for me and i do not have
> to code that myself.
>
> *A tool Monte created long time ago. It  uses Innosetup under the hood.
> The tool is very old, but is still working.  I replaced the older Innosetup
> files with current ones to support Windows 8 and 10. Unfortunately
> InstallGadget is not available any more. It was really so easy to create an
> installer with it.
>

> For Mac i do not see a need for an installer if the program is just an app
> bundle. For such apps i am using DMG Canvas (http://www.araelium.com/
> dmgcanvas <http://www.araelium.com/dmgcanvas>) to create a DMG.
>
> Matthias
>

> > Sent from my iPhone
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> Bramkampsieke 13
> 32312 Lübbecke
> Tel     +49 5741 310000
>         +49 160 5504462
> Fax: +49 5741 310002
> eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/
> portfolio/produkte/brx/>

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."