Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
I just received notification that Java version 8 update 231 is
available. I have an older version of Java 8. Should I update?

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
What version of the operating system are you running?

What is the source of the notification?  (Is it a reliable source?)

Many people turn off Java in their web-browsers to prevent
trojans and malware from executing when they visit websites.

We need more information before we can make a determination for you.

Rick

> On Dec 9, 2019, at 11:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just received notification that Java version 8 update 231 is available. I have an older version of Java 8. Should I update?

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop
while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog
and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and
new features.

It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was
whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the
version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 10, 2019 10:05:28 AM Rick Harrison via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> What version of the operating system are you running?
>
> What is the source of the notification?  (Is it a reliable source?)
>
> Many people turn off Java in their web-browsers to prevent
> trojans and malware from executing when they visit websites.
>
> We need more information before we can make a determination for you.
>
> Rick
>
>> On Dec 9, 2019, at 11:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just received notification that Java version 8 update 231 is available. I
>> have an older version of Java 8. Should I update?

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
I’m on Catalina and that is the version I installed.  I’ve only done one test Android build with it though so I don’t know if there would be any negative impact as an upgrade.  I did have to jump through the hoops to create an Oracle login.

Thanks,
Brian
On Dec 10, 2019, 11:25 AM -0500, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop
> while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog
> and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and
> new features.
>
> It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was
> whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the
> version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On December 10, 2019 10:05:28 AM Rick Harrison via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What version of the operating system are you running?
> >
> > What is the source of the notification? (Is it a reliable source?)
> >
> > Many people turn off Java in their web-browsers to prevent
> > trojans and malware from executing when they visit websites.
> >
> > We need more information before we can make a determination for you.
> >
> > Rick
> >
> > > On Dec 9, 2019, at 11:49 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
> > > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just received notification that Java version 8 update 231 is available. I
> > > have an older version of Java 8. Should I update?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> > > HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
If you go into the terminal type; java -version

That will tell you if you are running java, and what version of it you are running.

Compare that to what the current version is. Version 8 perhaps?

I’m running Mojave, and my result tells me I am not running it and then
gives me a dialog to visit Oracle if I want to install it, - which I don’t.

If you are indeed running it, why are you running it?
Can you live without it?

Sorry, I can’t speak to the Android issue here right now.

Rick

> On Dec 10, 2019, at 11:24 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and new features.
>
> It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
I'm running Java 8 with a lower build number (211 if I remember right, but
I'm not at my Mac to check right now.) Java is required to build LC apps
for Android, which I do all the time. If you look in LC mobile preferences
you'll see the place where you need to specify your Java installation.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 10, 2019 11:06:55 AM Rick Harrison via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you go into the terminal type; java -version
>
> That will tell you if you are running java, and what version of it you are
> running.
>
> Compare that to what the current version is. Version 8 perhaps?
>
> I’m running Mojave, and my result tells me I am not running it and then
> gives me a dialog to visit Oracle if I want to install it, - which I don’t.
>
> If you are indeed running it, why are you running it?
> Can you live without it?
>
> Sorry, I can’t speak to the Android issue here right now.
>
> Rick
>

>> On Dec 10, 2019, at 11:24 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop
>> while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog
>> and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and
>> new features.
>>

>> It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was
>> whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the
>> version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
You can't build for Android if you don't have Java on your machine

Op 10-12-2019 om 18:04 schreef Rick Harrison via use-livecode:

> If you go into the terminal type; java -version
>
> That will tell you if you are running java, and what version of it you are running.
>
> Compare that to what the current version is. Version 8 perhaps?
>
> I’m running Mojave, and my result tells me I am not running it and then
> gives me a dialog to visit Oracle if I want to install it, - which I don’t.
>
> If you are indeed running it, why are you running it?
> Can you live without it?
>
> Sorry, I can’t speak to the Android issue here right now.
>
> Rick
>

>> On Dec 10, 2019, at 11:24 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and new features.
>>
>> It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
Well, that’s a bummer.

There is your answer though.

Happy updating!

Rick

> On Dec 10, 2019, at 3:29 PM, JJS via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You can't build for Android if you don't have Java on your machine
>
> Op 10-12-2019 om 18:04 schreef Rick Harrison via use-livecode:
>> If you go into the terminal type; java -version
>>
>> That will tell you if you are running java, and what version of it you are running.
>>
>> Compare that to what the current version is. Version 8 perhaps?
>>
>> I’m running Mojave, and my result tells me I am not running it and then
>> gives me a dialog to visit Oracle if I want to install it, - which I don’t.
>>
>> If you are indeed running it, why are you running it?
>> Can you live without it?
>>
>> Sorry, I can’t speak to the Android issue here right now.
>>
>> Rick
>>

>>> On Dec 10, 2019, at 11:24 AM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm running Mac OS 10.14.6 (Mojave) and the dialog popped up on my desktop while I was working in LC. I clicked the "Learn more" link in the dialog and was taken to Oracle's web site which displayed a list of changes and new features.
>>>
>>> It appeared to be a normal auto-check for updates. My main concern was whether updating would impact standalone builds for Android. Since the version I have now is working it doesn't seem crucial.

Re: Java update?

Brian Milby via use-livecode
I don’t know if your version of LiveCode is an example, but many applications need Java 6 in particular, and macOS comes with Java 8. The solution is to install the legacy version of Java as well:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US <https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_US>