Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
are not that nice:

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17689

with a sample to play around with:

no liquor, and therefore fairly pedestrian!

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Pyyhtiä Christer
Richard, one possible reason to jiggling is when ever you tune any dimension the location of the object moves. What could help is to put lock screen - unlock screen in the script to make the sizing of everything before it displays the picture once again.
rgds

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/26/2013 02:52 PM, Pyyhtiä Christer wrote:
> Richard, one possible reason to jiggling is when ever you tune any dimension the location of the object moves. What could help is to put lock screen - unlock screen in the script to make the sizing of everything before it displays the picture once again.
> rgds

Dear Python,

No obvious difference:

on mouseUp
    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
    put 400 into DIMZ
    repeat until DIMZ=4
       put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
       set the lockscreen to true
       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
       set the left of img "tom" to 0
       set the top of img "tom" to 0
       wait 2 ticks
       set the lockscreen to false
    end repeat
    repeat until DIMZ=400
       put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
       set the lockscreen to true
       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
       set the left of img "tom" to 0
       set the top of img "tom" to 0
       wait 2 ticks
       set the lockscreen to false
    end repeat
    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
end mouseUp

try it!

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Richmond,

Check if the script of this stack: Infinite Zoom 2013
could be useful:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro/stacks/Livecode_Android_Test_for_infinite_zoom.zip

Dismiss the Android apk inside the zip archive.

This file is a new version of this stack:
http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Second-test-for-Infinite-Zoom-td3642705.html

Have a nice weekend!

Al

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Alejandro Tejada
Better yet, download only the stack from Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ja3Yvw8cHLTjlfYmpmV3lKZmM/edit?usp=sharing

In this stack, move your mouse pointer to the left side of the images, hold down the left mouse button, and the images will zoom in at warp speed (or as fast as your computer graphic card allows).
If you hold down the mouse on the right side of the stack, the images will zoom out.

Al

Re: Jiggly splash screens

John Dixon
You do not have a lock screen in your script

Sent from my iPad mini.

> On 26 Oct 2013, at 12:59, "Richmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Python,
>
> No obvious difference:
>
> on mouseUp
>   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
>   put 400 into DIMZ
>   repeat until DIMZ=4
>      put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
>      set the lockscreen to true
>      set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>      set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>      set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>      set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>      set the left of img "tom" to 0
>      set the top of img "tom" to 0
>      wait 2 ticks
>      set the lockscreen to false
>   end repeat
>   repeat until DIMZ=400
>      put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
>      set the lockscreen to true
>      set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>      set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>      set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>      set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>      set the left of img "tom" to 0
>      set the top of img "tom" to 0
>      wait 2 ticks
>      set the lockscreen to false
>   end repeat
>   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
> end mouseUp
>
> try it!
>
> Richmond.

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/26/2013 06:02 PM, John Dixon wrote:
> You do not have a lock screen in your script

what then is:

"set the lockscreen to true" ???

Richmond.

> Sent from my iPad mini.
>
>> On 26 Oct 2013, at 12:59, "Richmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Python,
>>
>> No obvious difference:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
>>    put 400 into DIMZ
>>    repeat until DIMZ=4
>>       put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
>>       set the lockscreen to true
>>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
>>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
>>       wait 2 ticks
>>       set the lockscreen to false
>>    end repeat
>>    repeat until DIMZ=400
>>       put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
>>       set the lockscreen to true
>>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
>>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
>>       wait 2 ticks
>>       set the lockscreen to false
>>    end repeat
>>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> try it!
>>
>> Richmond.

RE: Jiggly splash screens

John Dixon
apologies... I was looking for such at the top of the script

> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 18:04:45 +0300
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Jiggly splash screens
>
> On 10/26/2013 06:02 PM, John Dixon wrote:
> > You do not have a lock screen in your script
>
> what then is:
>
> "set the lockscreen to true" ???
>
> Richmond.
>

> > Sent from my iPad mini.
> >
> >> On 26 Oct 2013, at 12:59, "Richmond" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Dear Python,
> >>
> >> No obvious difference:
> >>
> >> on mouseUp
> >>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
> >>    put 400 into DIMZ
> >>    repeat until DIMZ=4
> >>       put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
> >>       set the lockscreen to true
> >>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
> >>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
> >>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
> >>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
> >>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
> >>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
> >>       wait 2 ticks
> >>       set the lockscreen to false
> >>    end repeat
> >>    repeat until DIMZ=400
> >>       put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
> >>       set the lockscreen to true
> >>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
> >>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
> >>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
> >>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
> >>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
> >>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
> >>       wait 2 ticks
> >>       set the lockscreen to false
> >>    end repeat
> >>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
> >> end mouseUp
> >>
> >> try it!
> >>
> >> Richmond.

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/26/2013 06:27 PM, John Dixon wrote:
> apologies... I was looking for such at the top of the script

If I had had that at the top of the script the end-user would se nothing
happening at all.

>> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 18:04:45 +0300
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Jiggly splash screens
>>
>> On 10/26/2013 06:02 PM, John Dixon wrote:
>>> You do not have a lock screen in your script
>> what then is:
>>
>> "set the lockscreen to true" ???
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>>> Sent from my iPad mini.

Re: Jiggly splash screens

J. Landman Gay
A 2-tick wait is probably too long.  Try one millisecond and work up from there.

Without a wait, the engine will go as fast as possible and will skip redraws to increase speed.  It only takes a very tiny wait to force a redraw.

Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

>on mouseUp
>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
>    put 400 into DIMZ
>    repeat until DIMZ=4
>       put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
>       set the lockscreen to true
>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
>       wait 2 ticks
>       set the lockscreen to false
>    end repeat
>    repeat until DIMZ=400
>       put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
>       set the lockscreen to true
>       set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>       set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>       set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>       set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>       set the left of img "tom" to 0
>       set the top of img "tom" to 0
>       wait 2 ticks
>       set the lockscreen to false
>    end repeat
>    set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
>end mouseUp

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/26/2013 06:53 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> A 2-tick wait is probably too long.  Try one millisecond and work up from there.
>
> Without a wait, the engine will go as fast as possible and will skip redraws to increase speed.  It only takes a very tiny wait to force a redraw.

Well; I commented out the 'wait' lines and the thing sped up
(marginally), but there was still a jiggly effect.

Perhaps the problem is because the stack does not really shrink about
its centre, but shrinks into its top-left-hand corner, and because of
this the image has to keep being moved.

> Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> on mouseUp
>>     set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
>>     put 400 into DIMZ
>>     repeat until DIMZ=4
>>        put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
>>        set the lockscreen to true
>>        set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>        set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>        set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>        set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>        set the left of img "tom" to 0
>>        set the top of img "tom" to 0
>>        wait 2 ticks
>>        set the lockscreen to false
>>     end repeat
>>     repeat until DIMZ=400
>>        put (DIMZ + 2) into DIMZ
>>        set the lockscreen to true
>>        set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>        set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
>>        set the width of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>        set the height of img "tom" to DIMZ
>>        set the left of img "tom" to 0
>>        set the top of img "tom" to 0
>>        wait 2 ticks
>>        set the lockscreen to false
>>     end repeat
>>     set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
>> end mouseUp

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
Here is the same sort of thing using a regular polygon graphic; no WAIT
and still all jiggly.

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17689&p=88639#p88639

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Jerry Jensen
On Oct 26, 2013, at 8:53 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Without a wait, the engine will go as fast as possible and will skip redraws to increase speed.  It only takes a very tiny wait to force a redraw.

IIRC, even wait 0 will cause a redraw (!).
.Jerry

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/26/2013 07:17 PM, Jerry Jensen wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2013, at 8:53 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Without a wait, the engine will go as fast as possible and will skip redraws to increase speed.  It only takes a very tiny wait to force a redraw.
> IIRC, even wait 0 will cause a redraw (!).

and a jiggle!

> .Jerry

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Roger Eller
Setting the decorations to empty seems to help eliminate jiggle on the top
and left.  Setting the resizable false helps the corner drag icon to not
flicker.  And scaling faster (larger chunks, 8 instead of 2) makes jiggle
less noticeable.  I tried grouping everything and using a dynamic layer
mode, but I didn't see a difference.

on mouseUp
   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
   put 400 into DIMZ
   set the decorations of this stack to empty
   set the resizable of this stack to false
   repeat until DIMZ=8
      lock screen
      put (DIMZ - 8) into DIMZ
      set the width of stack "SPLASHX" to DIMZ
      set the height of stack "SPLASHX" to DIMZ
      set the width of graphic "g1" to DIMZ
      set the height of graphic "g1" to DIMZ
      set the left of graphic "g1" to 0
      set the top of graphic "g1" to 0
      unlock screen
   end repeat
   repeat until DIMZ=400
      lock screen
      put (DIMZ + 8) into DIMZ
      set the width of stack "SPLASHX" to DIMZ
      set the height of stack "SPLASHX" to DIMZ
      set the width of graphic "g1" to DIMZ
      set the height of graphic "g1" to DIMZ
      set the left of graphic "g1" to 0
      set the top of graphic "g1" to 0
      unlock screen
   end repeat
   set the decorations of this stack to "title,menu,maximize,minimize,close"
   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
   set the resizable of this stack to true
end mouseUp

~Roger

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Pyyhtiä Christer
You were right, not obvious improvement. It was a thought, tested it a bit later and found out I was wrong. Hopefully a solution has emergerd by now.

rgds

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Pyyhtiä Christer
This is the best could achieve.  See the difference between shrink and expand. Obs. twice set the topLeft, and leave out the delay (was OK with my 2 years old PowerBook); if have time tomorrow will test on SGS 2 and SGS 4.

Thanks for the challenge!

on mouseUp
   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
   put 400 into DIMZ
   put item 1 of the loc of img "tom" into tX
   put item 2 of the loc of img "tom" into ty
   repeat until DIMZ=4
      put (DIMZ - 2) into DIMZ
      -- thx for even numbers
      lock screen
      set the width of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
      set the height of stack "SPLASH" to DIMZ
      set the topLeft of img "tom" to 0,0

On 10/26/2013 07:49 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> You should send that stack to Run Rev, it crashes v6.5 dp2 every time. In 6.1.2 it works without crashing.
>

>> Here is the same sort of thing using a regular polygon graphic; no WAIT
>> and still all jiggly.
>>
>> http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17689&p=88639#p88639
>>
> _

Well, "over here" on Linux 6.5. dp2 doesn't crsh it just gives me a
merry spinning wheel cursor.

Then, after I'd popped over to this virtual desktop to write the line
above, and then popped back, the
stack looked like Saddam Hussein's picnic (short of a sandwich -
remember stormin' Norman?).

Whatever; NOT GOOD.

Having a lot of "fun" right now trying to shoe-horn Macintosh Maverick
(OS 10.9) into VMware,
and then I can have even more fun in that respect.

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Paul Hibbert
Tackling this problem from a different angle seems to help, this works a little smoother (and it works on LC6.5 (dp 2) on Mac OS X 10.8.5 too)…

Set the geometry of the image to scale to all 4 sides of the card and change the image quality to "good" or "best".

on mouseUp
   put the rect of this stack into tStackRect
     set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to false
     repeat until the width of this stack <= 4
      add 1 to item 1 of tStackRect
      add 1 to item 2 of tStackRect
      subtract 1 from item 3 of tStackRect
      subtract 1 from item 4 of tStackRect
      lock screen
      set the rect of stack "SPLASH" to tStackRect
      unlock screen
   end repeat
   repeat until the width of this stack >=400
      subtract 1 from item 1 of tStackRect
      subtract 1 from item 2 of tStackRect
      add 1 to item 3 of tStackRect
      add 1 to item 4 of tStackRect
      lock screen
      set the rect of stack "SPLASH" to tStackRect
      unlock screen
   end repeat
   set the vis of btn "DEMONSTRATE" to true
end mouseUp

I know some people don't like using the geometry options, but for this exercise it just shifted some of the work over to the engine and each repeat cycle is only updating the screen with one line. You can get away without lock screen but the image shifts a little off centre at the really small sizes. It certainly looks smoother to me.

Paul

On 2013-10-26, at 12:13 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/26/2013 07:49 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:
>> You should send that stack to Run Rev, it crashes v6.5 dp2 every time. In 6.1.2 it works without crashing.
>>

>>> Here is the same sort of thing using a regular polygon graphic; no WAIT
>>> and still all jiggly.
>>>
>>> http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17689&p=88639#p88639
>>>
>> _
>
> Well, "over here" on Linux 6.5. dp2 doesn't crsh it just gives me a merry spinning wheel cursor.
>
> Then, after I'd popped over to this virtual desktop to write the line above, and then popped back, the
> stack looked like Saddam Hussein's picnic (short of a sandwich - remember stormin' Norman?).
>
> Whatever; NOT GOOD.
>
> Having a lot of "fun" right now trying to shoe-horn Macintosh Maverick (OS 10.9) into VMware,
> and then I can have even more fun in that respect.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Jiggly splash screens

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Paul,

Paul Hibbert-3 wrote
Set the geometry of the image to scale to all 4 sides of the card
and change the image quality to "good" or "best".

[snip]
Your script works smoother, but that is
because it does not scale the image
within the handler.

When the image is scaled too,
the jiggly reappears.

Maybe the splash screen stack, published
by Chipp Walter, could be useful in this
particular case...
http://www2.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/RunRev/Downloads.htm

Al
12