LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
LiveCode has moved up to #48 on the TIOBE Index of programming language
popularity:

https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

It's too early to tell if this upward ranking is due to reductions in
other languages or an actual trend with LC, but given that LC was #50 in
October this seems a positive sign.

Highlights from this month's index:

- 1/3 as popular as Scratch

- More than half as popular as Lua

- 2/3 as popular as PowerShell

- Surpassed Prolog, awk, bash, 4D, Clojure, WebAssembly, Erlang

- Xojo, once seen as a competitor years ago, not even on the list

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
Nothing in space and time is linear. ;-)

Bob S

> On Dec 7, 2019, at 18:20 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> LiveCode has moved up to #48 on the TIOBE Index of programming language popularity:
>
> https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>
> It's too early to tell if this upward ranking is due to reductions in other languages or an actual trend with LC, but given that LC was #50 in October this seems a positive sign.
>
> Highlights from this month's index:
>
> - 1/3 as popular as Scratch
>
> - More than half as popular as Lua
>
> - 2/3 as popular as PowerShell
>
> - Surpassed Prolog, awk, bash, 4D, Clojure, WebAssembly, Erlang
>
> - Xojo, once seen as a competitor years ago, not even on the list
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
Some contrasting data...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=%2Fm%2F0490j1

On 11/12/19, 10:17 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Nothing in space and time is linear. ;-)

    Bob S

    > On Dec 7, 2019, at 18:20 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > LiveCode has moved up to #48 on the TIOBE Index of programming language popularity:
    >
    > https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
    >
    > It's too early to tell if this upward ranking is due to reductions in other languages or an actual trend with LC, but given that LC was #50 in October this seems a positive sign.
    >
    > Highlights from this month's index:
    >
    > - 1/3 as popular as Scratch
    >
    > - More than half as popular as Lua
    >
    > - 2/3 as popular as PowerShell
    >
    > - Surpassed Prolog, awk, bash, 4D, Clojure, WebAssembly, Erlang
    >
    > - Xojo, once seen as a competitor years ago, not even on the list
    >
    > --
    > Richard Gaskin
    > Fourth World Systems

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
Armenia?

There's also a livecode programming method, I wonder if that's conflated.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On December 10, 2019 6:37:17 PM Terry Judd via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some contrasting data...
>
> https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=%2Fm%2F0490j1
>
> ?On 11/12/19, 10:17 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Nothing in space and time is linear. ;-)
>
>    Bob S
>

>    > On Dec 7, 2019, at 18:20 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
>    <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    >
>    > LiveCode has moved up to #48 on the TIOBE Index of programming language
>    popularity:
>    >
>    > https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
>    >
>    > It's too early to tell if this upward ranking is due to reductions in
>    other languages or an actual trend with LC, but given that LC was #50 in
>    October this seems a positive sign.
>    >
>    > Highlights from this month's index:
>    >
>    > - 1/3 as popular as Scratch
>    >
>    > - More than half as popular as Lua
>    >
>    > - 2/3 as popular as PowerShell
>    >
>    > - Surpassed Prolog, awk, bash, 4D, Clojure, WebAssembly, Erlang
>    >
>    > - Xojo, once seen as a competitor years ago, not even on the list
>    >
>    > --
>    > Richard Gaskin
>    > Fourth World Systems

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
Very similar results just with 'livecode' as the search term...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=%2Fm%2F0490j1,Livecode

...and the LiveCode website is the first search result on Google and the Wikipedia page on LiveCode the second so it would seem to be a reasonable approximation of general search interest. Might be interesting to do comparative Trends searches of some of the other languages just above LC on the TIOBE index to see how they fare.

Interestingly, Armenia doesn't rate a mention with livecode as a search term (vs livecode as a programming language).

    <[hidden email]> wrote:

    > Some contrasting data...
    >
    > https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=%2Fm%2F0490j1
    >
    > ?On 11/12/19, 10:17 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Bob Sneidar via
    > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
    > [hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >    Nothing in space and time is linear. ;-)
    >
    >    Bob S
    >
    >
    >    > On Dec 7, 2019, at 18:20 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
    >    <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >    >
    >    > LiveCode has moved up to #48 on the TIOBE Index of programming language
    >    popularity:
    >    >
    >    > https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
    >    >
    >    > It's too early to tell if this upward ranking is due to reductions in
    >    other languages or an actual trend with LC, but given that LC was #50 in
    >    October this seems a positive sign.
    >    >
    >    > Highlights from this month's index:
    >    >
    >    > - 1/3 as popular as Scratch
    >    >
    >    > - More than half as popular as Lua
    >    >
    >    > - 2/3 as popular as PowerShell
    >    >
    >    > - Surpassed Prolog, awk, bash, 4D, Clojure, WebAssembly, Erlang
    >    >
    >    > - Xojo, once seen as a competitor years ago, not even on the list
    >    >
    >    > --
    >    > Richard Gaskin
    >    > Fourth World Systems

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
On 12/10/19 5:25 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> Armenia?

I see a steady 50% linear decrease in interest over the last five years.
That can't be good.

Re: LC #48 @TIOBE

dunbarx--- via use-livecode
TIOBE is obviously measuring a bunch of other things and assigning a fair bit of weight to them - if you compare the Trends data for RUST (#31/0.37%) and LiveCode (#48/0.18%) it's chalk and cheese...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fm%2F0490j1,%2Fm%2F0dsbpg6

Terry Judd wrote:

> Some contrasting data...
>
> https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&q=%2Fm%2F0490j1

2013 was LC's massive Kickstarter campaign.

For a system reflecting general searches, I would expect a decline in
general attention after that.

Among programmer-specific resources used for TIOBE, a modest increase is
fairly consistent with what I see subjectively from new membership rates
in the forums.

Not that TIOBE is perfect, and it is indeed useful to use as many
metrics as practical for business planning.  But the industry seems to
favor TIOBE for ranking programming languages, and there may be some
good reasons behind its popularity for that metric.