LC 8.1.2 Stable

Richmond Mathewson-2
Wow!

I must be able to see into the future: just sat down in front of my
polycarbiMac and thought
"Oo; there's a new Livecode version to download!" and, Lo! There was:
8.1.2 Stable.

Yet, the 8.1.2 Stable announcement hasn't appeared in my in-box yet.

Most exciting!

Anyway, be that as it may; I wonder what the socking great 60 MB
difference between the
Community version for Mac and the Indy Version for Mac actually consists of.

Maybe I haven't looked in the right places, but I haven't really found
documentation about
the differences between the Community version and the Indy one beyond
being able to
protect one's code from nosey types (which is, after all, not an
insignificant difference), and
do find it hard to believe that it takes 60 MB to make that difference.

Would be grateful if one of the mavens could put me straight . . .

Re: LC 8.1.2 Stable

Peter TB Brett
On 19/12/2016 20:12, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Anyway, be that as it may; I wonder what the socking great 60 MB
> difference between the
> Community version for Mac and the Indy Version for Mac actually consists
> of.

The Indy edition contains tsNet and a bunch of mergExt externals that
aren't included in the Community edition.

                               Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: LC 8.1.2 Stable

Roger Eller
Could you provide a list of the externals that are cross-platform
iOS/Android/Desktop/Server.  I remember that was something that was to come
after the acquisition.

On 12/19/16 10:52 pm, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> On 19/12/2016 20:12, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, be that as it may; I wonder what the socking great 60 MB
>> difference between the
>> Community version for Mac and the Indy Version for Mac actually consists
>> of.
>
> The Indy edition contains tsNet and a bunch of mergExt externals that
> aren't included in the Community edition.
>
>                               Peter

Re: LC 8.1.2 Stable

Monte Goulding-2

> On 20 Dec. 2016, at 8:21 am, Roger Eller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could you provide a list of the externals that are cross-platform
> iOS/Android/Desktop/Server.  I remember that was something that was to come
> after the acquisition.

I think the only mergExt externals that are that cross platform are mergMarkdown, mergJSON and blur. All of them are open source.

FYI if you open the inclusions pane of the standalone settings dialog you can see which externals you have in your edition of LiveCode and which platforms they support.

There are some android java externals I did and released as beta builds that have been untouched for a couple of years and do not build in their current form. With the decision to make java the first target of infinite livecode it was decided to not waste resources on working on those and re-implement in LCB once LiveCode 9 is released. It’s not like there isn’t plenty of other stuff to do ;-)

Cheers

Monte

Re: LC 8.1.2 Stable

J. Landman Gay
On 12/19/16 4:56 PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
> There are some android java externals I did and released as beta
> builds that have been untouched for a couple of years and do not
> build in their current form.

I'm using mergPopToast and it works great. It adds a nice native touch
to my app.

Re: LC 8.1.2 Stable

Roger Eller
I really like that one too!  Monte really does make great stuff.  My only
wish is for x-plat ports of his existing iOS add-ons.

~Roger