LC 9.0 Windows - tooltip broken for new datagrid?

LC 9.0 Windows - tooltip broken for new datagrid?

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Am I right that this is broken?

A new stack with a single button will show the button's tooltip when the
pointer hovers over it.
Add a datagrid, and set the tooltip for the datagrid through the inspector.
The tooltip does not display no matter where the pointer is in the datagrid.

Regards
Bernard

Re: LC 9.0 Windows - tooltip broken for new datagrid?

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Actually, everything in a datagrid is an object of some sort with it's own tooltip (empty by default). There would have to be special code to display the tooltip for a datagrid instead of the tooltip for the object you are pointing at.

I tested in a new stack and the tooltip for a datagrid NEVER displays. Not even sure why it's there.

Bob S

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 03:44 , Bernard Devlin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am I right that this is broken?
>
> A new stack with a single button will show the button's tooltip when the
> pointer hovers over it.
> Add a datagrid, and set the tooltip for the datagrid through the inspector.
> The tooltip does not display no matter where the pointer is in the datagrid.
>
> Regards
> Bernard

Re: LC 9.0 Windows - tooltip broken for new datagrid?

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Thanks.
If it's not supposed to work then best to remove it from the property
inspector so the product doesn't appear buggy to new users.

I have Livecode 5.5 on another machine.  I'll see if the tooltip works
there.  I see no reason why a datagrid (even if it is a fancy group)
shouldn't have a tooltip the way other UI controls have one.  I guess these
features are not even used on mobile interfaces, so maybe they are "legacy".

Either way I'll enter this as a bug for the 9.x series.
Bernard

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 4:18 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, everything in a datagrid is an object of some sort with it's own
> tooltip (empty by default). There would have to be special code to display
> the tooltip for a datagrid instead of the tooltip for the object you are
> pointing at.
>
> I tested in a new stack and the tooltip for a datagrid NEVER displays. Not
> even sure why it's there.

Re: LC 9.0 Windows - tooltip broken for new datagrid?

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Well think about pointing at a populated record. Does the user want the tooltip for the datagrid? A tooltip for the record itself (they way I created a hack for) or the tooltip for the individual field? But I agree, if it doesn't do anything, it shouldn't be there.

Bob S