LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi,

i make use of  the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed what is possible with LCB.
I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB is able to call OS APIs, right?

If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under Windows?

I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page  how to use external DLLs  in LC,

But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.

So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available already?

Regards,

Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Matthias,

Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i make use of  the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed
> what is possible with LCB.
> I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB is
> able to call OS APIs, right?
>
> If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under
> Windows?
>
> I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page  how to use
> external DLLs  in LC,
>
> But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.
>
> So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available
> already?
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Actually, I do have a public example. Take a look at this winSparkle
project:

https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-winsparkle

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Matthias,
>
> Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
> point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
> skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i make use of  the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed
>> what is possible with LCB.
>> I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB
>> is able to call OS APIs, right?
>>
>> If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under
>> Windows?
>>
>> I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page  how to use
>> external DLLs  in LC,
>>
>> But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.
>>
>> So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available
>> already?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
I have also started with libSodium (because it had a compiled dll I could try) if you want another example. I have not posted anything yet since it does not do anything very useful yet (it will initialize and generate a key pair but I have not done any of the parts to use the keys).

Thanks,
Brian
On Aug 7, 2018, 9:25 AM -0500, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Actually, I do have a public example. Take a look at this winSparkle
> project:
>
> https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-winsparkle
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Matthias,
> >
> > Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
> > point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
> > skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.
> >
> > --
> > Trevor DeVore
> > ScreenSteps
> > www.screensteps.com
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i make use of the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed
> > > what is possible with LCB.
> > > I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB
> > > is able to call OS APIs, right?
> > >
> > > If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under
> > > Windows?
> > >
> > > I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page how to use
> > > external DLLs in LC,
> > >
> > > But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.
> > >
> > > So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available
> > > already?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi Trevor,

thank you very much for your offer.

I am interested in using the Barcode SDK for Windows from TEC-IT.
https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx <https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx>

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 07.08.2018 um 16:23 schrieb Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Matthias,
>
> Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
> point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
> skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i make use of  the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed
>> what is possible with LCB.
>> I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB is
>> able to call OS APIs, right?
>>
>> If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under
>> Windows?
>>
>> I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page  how to use
>> external DLLs  in LC,
>>
>> But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.
>>
>> So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available
>> already?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Brian,

thanks also. Yes, please. More examples are welcomed.

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 07.08.2018 um 16:29 schrieb Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I have also started with libSodium (because it had a compiled dll I could try) if you want another example. I have not posted anything yet since it does not do anything very useful yet (it will initialize and generate a key pair but I have not done any of the parts to use the keys).
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Aug 7, 2018, 9:25 AM -0500, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
>> Actually, I do have a public example. Take a look at this winSparkle
>> project:
>>
>> https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-winsparkle
>>
>> --
>> Trevor DeVore
>> ScreenSteps
>> www.screensteps.com
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:23 AM Trevor DeVore <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Matthias,
>>>
>>> Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
>>> point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
>>> skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Trevor DeVore
>>> ScreenSteps
>>> www.screensteps.com

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
 Hey Matthias, Just wondering what resources you used to get started in
LCB.... I have yet to dip my toes in that ..but I think I am ready.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> thanks also. Yes, please. More examples are welcomed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>

> > Am 07.08.2018 um 16:29 schrieb Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > I have also started with libSodium (because it had a compiled dll I
> could try) if you want another example. I have not posted anything yet
> since it does not do anything very useful yet (it will initialize and
> generate a key pair but I have not done any of the parts to use the keys).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> > On Aug 7, 2018, 9:25 AM -0500, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:
> >> Actually, I do have a public example. Take a look at this winSparkle
> >> project:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/trevordevore/lc-winsparkle
> >>
> >> --
> >> Trevor DeVore
> >> ScreenSteps
> >> www.screensteps.com

> LCB

> use

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Tom,
there is a extension-course here <https://livecode.com/courses/extension-course/>

> Am 07.08.2018 um 17:23 schrieb Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey Matthias, Just wondering what resources you used to get started in
> LCB.... I have yet to dip my toes in that ..but I think I am ready.
>
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>>
>> thanks also. Yes, please. More examples are welcomed.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>>> Am 07.08.2018 um 16:29 schrieb Brian Milby via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I have also started with libSodium (because it had a compiled dll I
>> could try) if you want another example. I have not posted anything yet
>> since it does not do anything very useful yet (it will initialize and
>> generate a key pair but I have not done any of the parts to use the keys).
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian

>> LCB

>> use

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
thanks very much .... somehow that has eluded me.  Will start on it tonight.

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
> there is a extension-course here <https://livecode.com/courses/
> extension-course/>
>
> > Am 07.08.2018 um 17:23 schrieb Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hey Matthias, Just wondering what resources you used to get started in
> > LCB.... I have yet to dip my toes in that ..but I think I am ready.
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Brian,
> >>
> >> thanks also. Yes, please. More examples are welcomed.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Matthias

> >> could try) if you want another example. I have not posted anything yet
> >> since it does not do anything very useful yet (it will initialize and
> >> generate a key pair but I have not done any of the parts to use the
> keys).

> [hidden email]

> you

> impressed
> >> LCB

> under

> >> use

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Matthias,

I downloaded and installed the demo and was able to link to the DLL.

1. Create a folder named `TBarCode`.
2. In that folder create a `code/x86-win32` folder.
3. Copy the `TBarCode11.dll` and `zlib1.dll` (not positive this is
required) files from the Program Files(x86) folder (NOT the 64-bit
versions) and place in the `./code/x86-win32` folder.
4. Create a file in the `TBarCode` folder named `tbarcode.lcb`
5. Place the following script in the `tbarcode.lcb` file and save it.

```
library community.livecode.tbarcode

  use com.livecode.foreign
  use com.livecode.engine
  use com.livecode.file

  metadata title is "TBarCode"
  metadata author is ""
  metadata version is "0.1.0"

  private foreign handler win_tbarcode_licenseMe(in pLicensee as
ZStringUTF16, in pKindOfLicense as CULong, in pNoOfLicenses as CULong, \
        in pKey as ZStringUTF16, in pProductID as CULong) \
        returns CULong binds to “c:TBarCode11>BCLicenseMeW!stdcall"

  public handler TestMe() returns String
    variable tError as Number

    unsafe
      put win_tbarcode_licenseMe("LicenseeName", 3, 1, "LicenseKey", 2023)
into tError
    end unsafe
    log tError
    return "success"
  end handler
end library
```

6. Open tbarcode.lcb in the Extension Builder and test it by pressing the
“Play” button on the bottom of the Extension Builder window.
7. In the Message Box run: `put TestMe()`

Assuming all is well you should see “success” appear with a “0” in the log
field. I didn’t verify that I used the correct types for pKindOfLicense,
pNoOfLicenses, and pProductId. I was just verifying that LCB would execute
a handler in the DLL.

Ask or docs you can look at the following two docs on the web:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/docs/guides/LiveCode%20Builder%20Language%20Reference.md
https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/blob/develop/Documentation/guides/Extending%20LiveCode.md

They are available as guides in the IDE docs but I find it easier to scan
and search in the web browser.

Good luck!

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Trevor,
>
> thank you very much for your offer.
>
> I am interested in using the Barcode SDK for Windows from TEC-IT.
> https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx <
> https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx>
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>

> > Am 07.08.2018 um 16:23 schrieb Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Matthias,
> >
> > Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
> > point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
> > skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.
> >
> > --
> > Trevor DeVore
> > ScreenSteps
> > www.screensteps.com
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 5:33 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i make use of  the Widgets in LC 9 very often and i am really impressed
> >> what is possible with LCB.
> >> I have no deep knowledge of LCB, but if i understand correctly then LCB
> is
> >> able to call OS APIs, right?
> >>
> >> If so, is it also possible to call functions of a 3rd party DLL under
> >> Windows?
> >>
> >> I know there is a very nice but old example on Ken Ray´s page  how to
> use
> >> external DLLs  in LC,
> >>
> >> But now with LCB i would prefer LCB to do the complete “wrapping”.
> >>
> >> So would it be possible? And if so, are there any examples available
> >> already?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Matthias

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Trevor,

thank you so much for your example and for verifying that LCB can execute handlers in the dll.

“Good luck” is well said, i need more than good luck. ;)

Regards,
Matthias

> [...]
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com
>

> On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Trevor,
>>
>> thank you very much for your offer.
>>
>> I am interested in using the Barcode SDK for Windows from TEC-IT.
>> https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx <
>> https://www.tec-it.com/en/download/tbarcode/Download.aspx>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>>> Am 07.08.2018 um 16:23 schrieb Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> Matthias,
>>>
>>> Yes it is possible. I don't know of any 3rd party DLL examples. Can you
>>> point me to a DLL you want to wrap? I may be able to put together the
>>> skeleton of an LCB extension for you to get started with.

Matthias Rebbe
Tel +49 5741 310000
https://matthiasrebbe.eu <https://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

On 2018-08-08 00:11, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Trevor,
>
> thank you so much for your example and for verifying that LCB can
> execute handlers in the dll.
>
> “Good luck” is well said, i need more than good luck. ;)

You might also find this thread in the forums useful with your efforts:

Its about wrapping a Windows DLL which accesses a I/O device of some
sort - the API is simple, yet covers a number of things you often have
to deal with when interconnecting with C APIs on Windows (and C APIs in
general).

Warmest Regards,

P.S. Trevor has made significant progress with his mac status bar widget
- however we still haven't figured out exactly why references to the
icon don't stick - thus causing it to never appear. Hopefully we will do
soon!

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: LC Builder and 3rd Part DLLs under Windows

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode

> Am 08.08.2018 um 21:17 schrieb Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>

> You might also find this thread in the forums useful with your efforts:
>
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=30429
>
> Its about wrapping a Windows DLL which accesses a I/O device of some sort - the API is simple, yet covers a number of things you often have to deal with when interconnecting with C APIs on Windows (and C APIs in general).

Thanks for pointing me to that.
> P.S. Trevor has made significant progress with his mac status bar widget - however we still haven't figured out exactly why references to the icon don't stick - thus causing it to never appear. Hopefully we will do soon!

Thanks for the update. Now i do not have to ask at the next LC Global. ;)

On 2018-08-08 22:50, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks for the update. Now i do not have to ask at the next LC Global.
> ;)

That is why I though it was worth mentioning it now ;)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps