LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi

I asked this question on LiveCode forums and haven’t go much response.
LC Server returns 'lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: No such file or Directory <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=187834&sid=170f8ce7549c8cdec2fc227d0315509c#p187829>

So I am reposting the question here.  Hope that is OK.

Here is the question.

——————————————
I use LiveCode Server for a REST api for a LiveCode application and I am migrating an installation of the api to a new server with a new domain.
The API uses Ralf Bitter's wonderful Revigniter framework. https://revigniter.com <https://revigniter.com/>

To to the transfer the site I copied all the files to the new server.

Then I changed all references to the domain the new domain in the API and the App.

When I tried to call the API from the App I got 'HTTP response code 500 returned from server’ but with a different error message
lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: Permission denied

I looked at the livecode-server executable in the path above and it had permissions set at 644. So I set the executable bit for all so permissions for livecode-server were 755. (The files in Drivers and External directories are still 644. Should they be changed to 755 too?)

Now I still get 'HTTP response code 500 returned from server’ but with a different error message:
- lscgid: execve():/home/mysite/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: No such file or directory

The API is using a REST approach.

An example of how the App uses the api is to get LC Server to return a list of projects it is posting the session id as authentication to the URL https://api.myapp.com/myapp_db/listProjects

Using RevIgniter command rigFetchSegment(n) The API takes the first segment of the url ‘myapp_db’ as the name of the database and the the second segment of the URL 'listProjects' is the command being called in the API.

From the error being called it appears that the server is actually taking the path https://api.example.com/myappDB/listProjectsliterally, i.e. looks for that directory which does not exist and returns the error.

So since I copied the site to the new server I think I may have not have copied a config file correctly or there is a server setting I need to change so the REST URLs are dealt with correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance.

Martin Koob

VideoLinkwell, a service of
Koob SourceText Solutions Inc.

Regards,

Martin Koob

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Martin,

this is just a shot in the dark: What happens if
your URL includes “index.lc”, like:

https://api.myapp.com/index.lc/myapp_db/listProjects

Ralf

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralf

Thanks for your response.

I’ve  been on holiday so was not able to follow up on this.

I added the index.lc segment in the URL and when connecting to the API on the existing server that works.

When I connect to the new server on the new host I still get the message.

 'lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> No such file or Directory’

So it does look like that it is the path to the server that is wrong but I have triple checked and it is correct.

Regards,

Martin Koob

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 2:20 PM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> this is just a shot in the dark: What happens if
> your URL includes “index.lc”, like:
>
> https://api.myapp.com/index.lc/myapp_db/listProjects
>

> Ralf

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralf

Been on holiday so was not able to follow up on this.

I added the index.lc segment in the URL and when connecting to the API on the existing server that works.

When I connect to the new server on the new host I still get the message.

lscgid: execve():/home/videolinkwell/sites/api.videolinkwell.ca/cgi-bin/livecode-server: No such file or directory

Any other ideas about this?

Regards,

Martin Koob

> On Feb 10, 2020, at 2:20 PM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> this is just a shot in the dark: What happens if
> your URL includes “index.lc”, like:
>
> https://api.myapp.com/index.lc/myapp_db/listProjects
>

> Ralf

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Martin,

don’t know if the issue is somehow related
to the new server environment as I am not
familiar with LiteSpeed Web Server. The
permissions (644) for the files in drivers and externals
should be OK (just check that the permissions
for these folders are set to 755).
Did you try to load a simple lc file without
revIgniter being involved?

Ralf

> On 10. Feb 2020, at 19:18, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use LiveCode Server for a REST api for a LiveCode application and I am migrating an installation of the api to a new server with a new domain.
> The API uses Ralf Bitter's wonderful Revigniter framework. https://revigniter.com <https://revigniter.com/> <https://revigniter.com/ <https://revigniter.com/>>
>
> To to the transfer the site I copied all the files to the new server.
>
> Then I changed all references to the domain the new domain in the API and the App.
>
> When I tried to call the API from the App I got 'HTTP response code 500 returned from server’ but with a different error message
> lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> Permission denied
>
> I looked at the livecode-server executable in the path above and it had permissions set at 644. So I set the executable bit for all so permissions for livecode-server were 755. (The files in Drivers and External directories are still 644. Should they be changed to 755 too?)
>
> Now I still get 'HTTP response code 500 returned from server’ but with a different error message:
> - lscgid: execve():/home/mysite/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> No such file or directory
>
> The API is using a REST approach.
>
> An example of how the App uses the api is to get LC Server to return a list of projects it is posting the session id as authentication to the URL https://api.myapp.com/myapp_db/listProjects <https://api.myapp.com/myapp_db/listProjects>
>
> Using RevIgniter command rigFetchSegment(n) The API takes the first segment of the url ‘myapp_db’ as the name of the database and the the second segment of the URL 'listProjects' is the command being called in the API.
>
> From the error being called it appears that the server is actually taking the path https://api.example.com/myappDB/listProjectsliterally <https://api.example.com/myappDB/listProjectsliterally>, i.e. looks for that directory which does not exist and returns the error.
>
> So since I copied the site to the new server I think I may have not have copied a config file correctly or there is a server setting I need to change so the REST URLs are dealt with correctly.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Martin Koob

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralf

Thanks for your reply Ralf.

Based on your comments I tried a number of tests.

I tried an .lc  file with no calls to RevIgniter.

/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc

I get the same error as when my application calls the api using RevIgniter. So that means it is an issue with the server not RevIgniter.

lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: No such file or directory

To see if I could access a file in the directory I then created a plain html page and put it in the same cgi-bin directory as the livecode-server file

/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/mytest.html

that gave an error

lscgid: execve():/home/videolinkwell/sites/api.videolinkwell.ca/cgi-bin/mytest.html: Permission denied

I then tried the two tests on my existing server that I am migrating my site from.  Both the mylctest.lc file in the top level of the api.mysite.com and plain mytest.htmlfile in the cgi-bin folder loaded as without error.   So I have something wrong in the set up of the cgi-bin folder of the new server I am migrating my site to.

I then tried a couple of other things.

I copied the .htaccess from my old site and that had no effect.

I then looked at the permissions of all the files.
myapp.com 0750
        cgi-bin 755
                livecode-server 0755
                drivers 0755
                        dbmysql.so 0644
                        (and other drivers…) 0644
                externals 0755
                        revdb.so 0644
                        (and other drivers…) 0644

This is the same as my existing server except for the myapp.com directory which is 0750.  On the existing server it is 0755 so I changed it and tried again and I got the same errors.
It seems like a permissions/access issue but I am not sure what else could control that. I am sure it is something simple Any ideas?

Thanks again

Martin

> [...]
>>
>> Using RevIgniter command rigFetchSegment(n) The API takes the first segment of the url ‘myapp_db’ as the name of the database and the the second segment of the URL 'listProjects' is the command being called in the API.
>>
>> From the error being called it appears that the server is actually taking the path https://api.example.com/myappDB/listProjectsliterally <https://api.example.com/myappDB/listProjectsliterally>, i.e. looks for that directory which does not exist and returns the error.
>>
>> So since I copied the site to the new server I think I may have not have copied a config file correctly or there is a server setting I need to change so the REST URLs are dealt with correctly.
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Martin Koob

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Martin, you mentioned that you migrated an
application to a new server. Did you double-check
the path to your executable in your server configuration?
Are you sure that there is no library dependency problem
on this server? What is the output if you run:

ldd path/to/your/livecode-server

from a terminal?

Ralf

> On 18. Feb 2020, at 22:19, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ralf
>
> Thanks for your reply Ralf.
>
> Based on your comments I tried a number of tests.
>

> I tried an .lc  file with no calls to RevIgniter.
>
> /home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc <http://api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc>
>
> I get the same error as when my application calls the api using RevIgniter. So that means it is an issue with the server not RevIgniter.
>
> lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> No such file or directory

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralf

The response when I run that is.

        not a dynamic executable

what does that mean?

BTW the livecode-server version is 6.1.0 but that is the same as is on the existing host.   I didn’t want to upgrade the server till I have the api working.

Regards,

Martin Koob

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Martin, you mentioned that you migrated an
> application to a new server. Did you double-check
> the path to your executable in your server configuration?
> Are you sure that there is no library dependency problem
> on this server? What is the output if you run:
>
> ldd path/to/your/livecode-server
>
> from a terminal?
>

> Ralf
>

>> On 18. Feb 2020, at 22:19, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ralf
>>
>> Thanks for your reply Ralf.
>>
>> Based on your comments I tried a number of tests.
>>

>> I tried an .lc  file with no calls to RevIgniter.
>>
>> /home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc <http://api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc>
>>
>> I get the same error as when my application calls the api using RevIgniter. So that means it is an issue with the server not RevIgniter.
>>
>> lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> No such file or directory

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi again Ralf

Looking online for that message "not a dynamic executable”  most of the comments talk about missing 32 bit Linux libraries and I checked downloads.livecode.com and see that LiveCode 6.1.0 is 32 bit.  So I guess my options are get the host to add the 32 bit Linux libraries or replace livecode-server with the 64 bit version.  The linux 64 bit version I see is  7.0.  Since I want to upgrade LiveCode server anyway  I think I will go with the later.  Any suggestions as to what is the best version to be running.  Are there and changes or upgrades  that need to be made to RevIgniter to ensure compatibility?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ralf
>
> The response when I run that is.
>
>        not a dynamic executable
>
> what does that mean?
>
> BTW the livecode-server version is 6.1.0 but that is the same as is on the existing host.   I didn’t want to upgrade the server till I have the api working.
>

> Regards,
>
> Martin Koob
>

>> On Feb 19, 2020, at 8:36 AM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Martin, you mentioned that you migrated an
>> application to a new server. Did you double-check
>> the path to your executable in your server configuration?
>> Are you sure that there is no library dependency problem
>> on this server? What is the output if you run:
>>
>> ldd path/to/your/livecode-server
>>
>> from a terminal?
>>

>> Ralf

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
If your server environment is 64bit and you upgrade your
revIgniter installation to 2.x then from my point of view there
is no reason not to use the latest stable LC server version.
In any case the revIgniter version 2.x requires LC server 9.0
or higher.

Ralf

> On 19. Feb 2020, at 15:09, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again Ralf
>
> Looking online for that message "not a dynamic executable”  most of the comments talk about missing 32 bit Linux libraries and I checked downloads.livecode.com <http://downloads.livecode.com/> and see that LiveCode 6.1.0 is 32 bit.  So I guess my options are get the host to add the 32 bit Linux libraries or replace livecode-server with the 64 bit version.  The linux 64 bit version I see is  7.0.  Since I want to upgrade LiveCode server anyway  I think I will go with the later.  Any suggestions as to what is the best version to be running.  Are there and changes or upgrades  that need to be made to RevIgniter to ensure compatibility?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Martin

RE: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
I'm been using 64 bit 9.5.1 server since the on-rev 64 bit upgrade. The only problem I had was one script-only library stack no longer worked. I made it a standard issue stack and it worked again. This was the only script-only stack I had. I submitted qcc report to Panos. https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22514

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

If your server environment is 64bit and you upgrade your revIgniter installation to 2.x then from my point of view there is no reason not to use the latest stable LC server version.
In any case the revIgniter version 2.x requires LC server 9.0 or higher.

Ralf

> On 19. Feb 2020, at 15:09, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again Ralf
>
> Looking online for that message "not a dynamic executable”  most of the comments talk about missing 32 bit Linux libraries and I checked downloads.livecode.com <http://downloads.livecode.com/> and see that LiveCode 6.1.0 is 32 bit.  So I guess my options are get the host to add the 32 bit Linux libraries or replace livecode-server with the 64 bit version.  The linux 64 bit version I see is  7.0.  Since I want to upgrade LiveCode server anyway  I think I will go with the later.  Any suggestions as to what is the best version to be running.  Are there and changes or upgrades  that need to be made to RevIgniter to ensure compatibility?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Martin

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
I have RevIgniter 1.7.1 running now and I do want to upgrade to 2.x. as well as upgrade livecode server to the most recent version.

However, I am trying to figure out the smoothest upgrade path.

Would the following process work?
- first upgrade to livecode-server 9.5.1 linux 64 bit
- then test my current api with RevIgniter 1.7.1 on that to make sure it works on my new server
- then do the changes needed in my web api to do the upgrade from RevIgniter 1.7.1 to 2.x
- then do the upgrade to RevIgniter to the latest version 2.1.5

Thanks.

Martin

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 9:54 AM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If your server environment is 64bit and you upgrade your
> revIgniter installation to 2.x then from my point of view there
> is no reason not to use the latest stable LC server version.
> In any case the revIgniter version 2.x requires LC server 9.0
> or higher.
>
> Ralf
>

>> On 19. Feb 2020, at 15:09, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again Ralf
>>
>> Looking online for that message "not a dynamic executable”  most of the comments talk about missing 32 bit Linux libraries and I checked downloads.livecode.com <http://downloads.livecode.com/> and see that LiveCode 6.1.0 is 32 bit.  So I guess my options are get the host to add the 32 bit Linux libraries or replace livecode-server with the 64 bit version.  The linux 64 bit version I see is  7.0.  Since I want to upgrade LiveCode server anyway  I think I will go with the later.  Any suggestions as to what is the best version to be running.  Are there and changes or upgrades  that need to be made to RevIgniter to ensure compatibility?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Martin

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Martin,

I agree with your proposed approach. But keep in mind
that you can upgrade revIgniter directly to the latest version
as long as you go the upgrade route as described in the user guide,
see Upgrading from 1.10.3 to 2.0.0. The description applies
to your case even if you upgrade from version 1.7.1 to 2.1.5.
There is no need for intermediate steps like upgrading to 2.0,
then 2.0.1, 2.0.2 etc.

Ralf

> On 19. Feb 2020, at 16:12, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have RevIgniter 1.7.1 running now and I do want to upgrade to 2.x. as well as upgrade livecode server to the most recent version.
>
> However, I am trying to figure out the smoothest upgrade path.
>
> Would the following process work?
> - first upgrade to livecode-server 9.5.1 linux 64 bit
> - then test my current api with RevIgniter 1.7.1 on that to make sure it works on my new server
> - then do the changes needed in my web api to do the upgrade from RevIgniter 1.7.1 to 2.x
> - then do the upgrade to RevIgniter to the latest version 2.1.5
>

> Thanks.
>

> Martin

If your server environment is 64bit and you upgrade your revIgniter installation to 2.x then from my point of view there is no reason not to use the latest stable LC server version.
In any case the revIgniter version 2.x requires LC server 9.0 or higher.

Ralf

> On 19. Feb 2020, at 15:09, Martin Koob via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi again Ralf
>
> Looking online for that message "not a dynamic executable”  most of the comments talk about missing 32 bit Linux libraries and I checked downloads.livecode.com <http://downloads.livecode.com/> and see that LiveCode 6.1.0 is 32 bit.  So I guess my options are get the host to add the 32 bit Linux libraries or replace livecode-server with the 64 bit version.  The linux 64 bit version I see is  7.0.  Since I want to upgrade LiveCode server anyway  I think I will go with the later.  Any suggestions as to what is the best version to be running.  Are there and changes or upgrades  that need to be made to RevIgniter to ensure compatibility?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Martin

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralph

I don’t think I have Script only stacks so hoping I will be OK.  That Hanks for the workaround.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 10:14 AM, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm been using 64 bit 9.5.1 server since the on-rev 64 bit upgrade. The only problem I had was one script-only library stack no longer worked. I made it a standard issue stack and it worked again. This was the only script-only stack I had. I submitted qcc report to Panos. https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=22514
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Ok thanks for the confirmation on that.  I will let you know how it goes. Looking forward to a shiny new livecode-server and RevIgniter.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 11:36 AM, Ralf Bitter via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> I agree with your proposed approach. But keep in mind
> that you can upgrade revIgniter directly to the latest version
> as long as you go the upgrade route as described in the user guide,
> see Upgrading from 1.10.3 to 2.0.0. The description applies
> to your case even if you upgrade from version 1.7.1 to 2.1.5.
> There is no need for intermediate steps like upgrading to 2.0,
> then 2.0.1, 2.0.2 etc.
>
> Ralf

Re: LC Server - HTTP response code 500: permission denied error

Mike Doub via use-livecode
Hi Ralf

I Upgraded the livecode-server to 9.5.1 linux 64 bit

I then
I tried an .lc  file with no calls to RevIgniter but with a section of livecode script in the page

/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc <http://api.myapp.com/mylctest.lc>

<?lc
put "<H1>hello world</H1>"
put "LiveCode Server version:" && the version & "<br>"
put "Steve Holt!!   \o/ "
?>

I did not get the error that I did before  (lscgid: execve():/home/myapp/sites/api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server: <http://api.myapp.com/cgi-bin/livecode-server:> No such file or directory)

The page loads correctly with livecode-server filling the parts I put in the <lc?  ?> tags.

So now I have LiveCode server working!

The next thing I tried my app which calls the api which uses RevIgniter.

I got an error message back from the server that looks like a RevIgniter error.

I will  contact you offline about this since it is long and probably I have already taken up too much bandwidth on the list with this.

Regards,

Martin Koob