LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
So I just installed LC 8.1.8 on my Mac and the toolbar always displays
whether or not LC is the active app. Is this a "feature?" I tried
disabling all plugins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.

Marty K

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
On 1/23/18 6:34 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
> So I just installed LC 8.1.8 on my Mac and the toolbar always displays
> whether or not LC is the active app. Is this a "feature?" I tried
> disabling all plugins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.

Well, it's a separate document window so if you bring one window of
another app to the front the LC toolbar will still show. The same thing
happens with any OS X app. I can't remember now if the toolbar used to
be a palette, it would disappear if so.

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
sounds like it's time for another ide hack and PR...

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/23/18 6:34 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> So I just installed LC 8.1.8 on my Mac and the toolbar always displays
>> whether or not LC is the active app. Is this a "feature?" I tried disabling
>> all plugins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.
>>

> Well, it's a separate document window so if you bring one window of
> another app to the front the LC toolbar will still show. The same thing
> happens with any OS X app. I can't remember now if the toolbar used to be a
> palette, it would disappear if so.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
But it isn't like this in LC 6.6.5 (didn't use anything in between). If
I'm in the Finder the top LC toolbar obscures anything behind it on the
desktop and I am unable to access folders and files I have there. Maybe
I haven't explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of the top of my
screen while LC is launched but Finder is at the front:

<http://martyknapp.on-rev.com/test/LC_Toolbar.png>

This is happening on both my iMac and MacbookPro. If it's a feature, can
I change it? If it's a bug I'll file a report. I'm just surprised nobody
else is seeing this or finding it annoying. I shouldn't have to quit LC
to get to folders at the top of my screen. For now I've set my "View" to
"Toolbar Text" only (no icons) - that narrows it enough that I can
access stuff at the top of my screen.

Marty

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/18 6:34 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> So I just installed LC 8.1.8 on my Mac and the toolbar always displays
>>> whether or not LC is the active app. Is this a "feature?" I tried disabling
>>> all plugins, etc. What am I missing? Thanks.
>>>
>> Well, it's a separate document window so if you bring one window of
>> another app to the front the LC toolbar will still show. The same thing
>> happens with any OS X app. I can't remember now if the toolbar used to be a
>> palette, it would disappear if so.

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
I get the same thing, but it hasn't bothered me. If LC is frontmost and
you click on the desktop, the toolbar remains as you describe. But if
you click on the Finder icon in the dock, or use Cmd-tab to cycle to
another app, the toolbar is moved behind the frontmost app. Since I use
Cmd-tab a lot, I've hardly noticed.

Basically any command the brings an app completely to the front will
remove the toolbar from view. If you use OS X's ability to intersperse
app windows, then the toolbar remains since it's a window like any other.

On 1/24/18 1:43 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:

> But it isn't like this in LC 6.6.5 (didn't use anything in between). If
> I'm in the Finder the top LC toolbar obscures anything behind it on the
> desktop and I am unable to access folders and files I have there. Maybe
> I haven't explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of the top of my
> screen while LC is launched but Finder is at the front:
>
> <http://martyknapp.on-rev.com/test/LC_Toolbar.png>
>
> This is happening on both my iMac and MacbookPro. If it's a feature, can
> I change it? If it's a bug I'll file a report. I'm just surprised nobody
> else is seeing this or finding it annoying. I shouldn't have to quit LC
> to get to folders at the top of my screen. For now I've set my "View" to
> "Toolbar Text" only (no icons) - that narrows it enough that I can
> access stuff at the top of my screen.
>
> Marty
>> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:21 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Well, it's a separate document window so if you bring one window of
>>> another app to the front the LC toolbar will still show. The same thing
>>> happens with any OS X app. I can't remember now if the toolbar used
>>> to be a
>>> palette, it would disappear if so.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
I am getting this thing on Mac OS 10.7.5 and I like it as I don't have
to keep
fossicking around down on the Dock to find the relevant LC/RR icon
(I've currently got 9 different ones on my Dock) if Im switching back
and forth
between GIMP and LiveCode (my 2 favourite apps regardless of platform).

Richmond.

On 24/1/2018 10:09 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> I get the same thing, but it hasn't bothered me. If LC is frontmost
> and you click on the desktop, the toolbar remains as you describe. But
> if you click on the Finder icon in the dock, or use Cmd-tab to cycle
> to another app, the toolbar is moved behind the frontmost app. Since I
> use Cmd-tab a lot, I've hardly noticed.
>
> Basically any command the brings an app completely to the front will
> remove the toolbar from view. If you use OS X's ability to intersperse
> app windows, then the toolbar remains since it's a window like any other.
>
> On 1/24/18 1:43 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>> But it isn't like this in LC 6.6.5 (didn't use anything in between).
>> If I'm in the Finder the top LC toolbar obscures anything behind it
>> on the desktop and I am unable to access folders and files I have
>> there. Maybe I haven't explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of
>> the top of my screen while LC is launched but Finder is at the front:
>>
>> <http://martyknapp.on-rev.com/test/LC_Toolbar.png>
>>
>> This is happening on both my iMac and MacbookPro. If it's a feature,
>> can I change it? If it's a bug I'll file a report. I'm just surprised
>> nobody else is seeing this or finding it annoying. I shouldn't have
>> to quit LC to get to folders at the top of my screen. For now I've
>> set my "View" to "Toolbar Text" only (no icons) - that narrows it
>> enough that I can access stuff at the top of my screen.
>>
>> Marty

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
TMHO it as a feature. Another comfort way to bring LC to front:
Click on a pixel between the toolbar sections (I use "Toolbar Text" only).

** 1. You have the option to hide the "Toolbar":

[a] by script: hide stack "revMenubar"
[b] use Menu View: uncheck "Toolbar Text" and uncheck "Toolbar icons"

** 2. Yet another option is (to have the LC 6 behavior):

set style of stack "revMenubar" to "palette"
(issue once after each LC's startup).

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
LiveCode isn’t the only app to leave windows visible, so I’ve become used to typing Cmd-Alt-H if I switch to another app or the finder and there’s something in the way that doesn’t belong to the app in front.

 Cmd-Alt-H is a system wide short-cut to “Hide Others”, so it should work in most apps and normally shows under the app menu.

Paul

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:09 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I get the same thing, but it hasn't bothered me. If LC is frontmost and you click on the desktop, the toolbar remains as you describe. But if you click on the Finder icon in the dock, or use Cmd-tab to cycle to another app, the toolbar is moved behind the frontmost app. Since I use Cmd-tab a lot, I've hardly noticed.
>
> Basically any command the brings an app completely to the front will remove the toolbar from view. If you use OS X's ability to intersperse app windows, then the toolbar remains since it's a window like any other.
>
> On 1/24/18 1:43 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>> But it isn't like this in LC 6.6.5 (didn't use anything in between). If I'm in the Finder the top LC toolbar obscures anything behind it on the desktop and I am unable to access folders and files I have there. Maybe I haven't explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of the top of my screen while LC is launched but Finder is at the front:
>> <http://martyknapp.on-rev.com/test/LC_Toolbar.png>
>> This is happening on both my iMac and MacbookPro. If it's a feature, can I change it? If it's a bug I'll file a report. I'm just surprised nobody else is seeing this or finding it annoying. I shouldn't have to quit LC to get to folders at the top of my screen. For now I've set my "View" to "Toolbar Text" only (no icons) - that narrows it enough that I can access stuff at the top of my screen.
>> Marty

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
> TMHO it is a feature. Another comfort way to bring LC to front:
> Click on a pixel between the toolbar sections (I use "Toolbar Text" only).
>
> ** 1. You have the option to hide the "Toolbar":
>
> [a] by script: hide stack "revMenubar"
> [b] use Menu View: uncheck "Toolbar Text" and uncheck "Toolbar icons"
>
> ** 2. Yet another option is (to have the LC 6 behavior):
>
> set style of stack "revMenubar" to "palette"
> (issue once after each LC's startup).

Forgot to say: The above 1. and 2. works always, not only on MacOS.
So you can use it for your cross-platform-thingies.

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
I had resorted to the "Toolbar Text" only option but I will try setting
the revMenubar to palette - I have a stack that automatically opens when
LC boots and I'll stick that in there.

Thanks all for your input.

Marty

>> TMHO it is a feature. Another comfort way to bring LC to front:
>> Click on a pixel between the toolbar sections (I use "Toolbar Text" only).
>>
>> ** 1. You have the option to hide the "Toolbar":
>>
>> [a] by script: hide stack "revMenubar"
>> [b] use Menu View: uncheck "Toolbar Text" and uncheck "Toolbar icons"
>>
>> ** 2. Yet another option is (to have the LC 6 behavior):
>>
>> set style of stack "revMenubar" to "palette"
>> (issue once after each LC's startup).
> Forgot to say: The above 1. and 2. works always, not only on MacOS.
> So you can use it for your cross-platform-thingies.
>
> ___

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
You can also just hide LiveCode windows before you leave it. Very similar command to what Paul mentions here. Just use Cmd-H and it will hide all of LiveCodes windows without hiding anything else. If you want a completely clear desktop and other apps are open, just do what Paul suggests and hide everything but the finder by Cmd-Alt-H. To get back to LiveCode, you can either Cmd-Tab to it or click the icon in the dock.

Ron

> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:19 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> LiveCode isn’t the only app to leave windows visible, so I’ve become used to typing Cmd-Alt-H if I switch to another app or the finder and there’s something in the way that doesn’t belong to the app in front.
>
> Cmd-Alt-H is a system wide short-cut to “Hide Others”, so it should work in most apps and normally shows under the app menu.
>
> Paul
>
>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:09 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I get the same thing, but it hasn't bothered me. If LC is frontmost and you click on the desktop, the toolbar remains as you describe. But if you click on the Finder icon in the dock, or use Cmd-tab to cycle to another app, the toolbar is moved behind the frontmost app. Since I use Cmd-tab a lot, I've hardly noticed.
>>
>> Basically any command the brings an app completely to the front will remove the toolbar from view. If you use OS X's ability to intersperse app windows, then the toolbar remains since it's a window like any other.
>>
>> On 1/24/18 1:43 PM, Marty Knapp via use-livecode wrote:
>>> But it isn't like this in LC 6.6.5 (didn't use anything in between). If I'm in the Finder the top LC toolbar obscures anything behind it on the desktop and I am unable to access folders and files I have there. Maybe I haven't explained myself well. Here's a screenshot of the top of my screen while LC is launched but Finder is at the front:
>>> <http://martyknapp.on-rev.com/test/LC_Toolbar.png>
>>> This is happening on both my iMac and MacbookPro. If it's a feature, can I change it? If it's a bug I'll file a report. I'm just surprised nobody else is seeing this or finding it annoying. I shouldn't have to quit LC to get to folders at the top of my screen. For now I've set my "View" to "Toolbar Text" only (no icons) - that narrows it enough that I can access stuff at the top of my screen.
>>> Marty

Re: LC Toolbar

dunbarx via use-livecode
Or just get used to ALT-Click in the FINDER/desktop or any other icon in the Dock. :-)

> Am 24.01.2018 um 22:00 schrieb Ron Metzker via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> You can also just hide LiveCode windows before you leave it. Very similar command to what Paul mentions here. Just use Cmd-H and it will hide all of LiveCodes windows without hiding anything else. If you want a completely clear desktop and other apps are open, just do what Paul suggests and hide everything but the finder by Cmd-Alt-H. To get back to LiveCode, you can either Cmd-Tab to it or click the icon in the dock.
>
> Ron
>
>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:19 PM, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> LiveCode isn’t the only app to leave windows visible, so I’ve become used to typing Cmd-Alt-H if I switch to another app or the finder and there’s something in the way that doesn’t belong to the app in front.
>>
>> Cmd-Alt-H is a system wide short-cut to “Hide Others”, so it should work in most apps and normally shows under the app menu.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>> On Jan 24, 2018, at 12:09 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I get the same thing, but it hasn't bothered me. If LC is frontmost and you click on the desktop, the toolbar remains as you describe. But if you click on the Finder icon in the dock, or use Cmd-tab to cycle to another app, the toolbar is moved behind the frontmost app. Since I use Cmd-tab a lot, I've hardly noticed.
>>>
>>> Basically any command the brings an app completely to the front will remove the toolbar from view. If you use OS X's ability to intersperse app windows, then the toolbar remains since it's a window like any other.

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major