LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Hi folks,

For whatever reason I really hate Java......;) and I've been avoiding it
like the plaque.  I would like to get over this because I will need it
going forward to maximize my use of LC, Widgets & Browser content.

Can anyone point me to a way that i can learn about how LC works with Java?
one that contains a practical example that i can follow and see the results
of?  I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Ooops....premature send.....Thank you for any links or ideas.

Tom Glod wrote:

 > ...Browser...Java...

Did you mean JavaScript?

No relationship to Java other than a short-sighted marketing decision at
Netscape 25 years ago.

JavaScript is the language supported by all browsers.  Java is an
important language for server-side use, and occasionally some GUIs, but
is considered unsafe for use in Web browsers anymore.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I totally meant JavaScript

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Glod wrote:
>
> > ...Browser...Java...
>
> Did you mean JavaScript?
>
> No relationship to Java other than a short-sighted marketing decision at
> Netscape 25 years ago.
>
> JavaScript is the language supported by all browsers.  Java is an
> important language for server-side use, and occasionally some GUIs, but is
> considered unsafe for use in Web browsers anymore.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: LC & Java

Tom Glod wrote:
 > I totally meant JavaScript

For the complete beginner I've found the Head First series from O'Reilly
good:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920027065.do

For intermediate scripters I love O'Reilly's "cookbook" series:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033455.do

There's a ton of stuff on the web, but sorting the signal from the noise
can be hard.  For years I struggled with CSS, but after reading the
O'Reilly CSS Cookbook I got a good understanding of how the parts fit
together.

For all the good things about self-publishing, one great thing about a
reputable publisher is their vetting process.  Only good material gets
accepted, and is further refined by editors.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
The LiveCode cheat sheet for JavaScript is probably a good thing to look
at. That will show some of the common syntax elements.
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:25 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I totally meant JavaScript
>
> On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Tom Glod wrote:
> >
> > > ...Browser...Java...
> >
> > Did you mean JavaScript?
> >
> > No relationship to Java other than a short-sighted marketing decision at
> > Netscape 25 years ago.
> >
> > JavaScript is the language supported by all browsers.  Java is an
> > important language for server-side use, and occasionally some GUIs, but
> is
> > considered unsafe for use in Web browsers anymore.
> >
> > --
> >  Richard Gaskin
> >  Fourth World Systems
> >  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: LC & Java

On 05/21/2018 04:58 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Tom Glod wrote:
>  > I totally meant JavaScript

> There's a ton of stuff on the web, but sorting the signal from the noise
> can be hard.

I'm still fond of JavaScript: The Good Parts
<http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596517748.do>

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Thank you for the links and suggestions Gentlemen .... i will look at them
and see how far i can get with my study of Livecode & Javascript together.

I'm not sure what about it I have disliked..... maybe i'll fall in love
with it

Thanks again

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 8:45 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/21/2018 04:58 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Tom Glod wrote:
>>  > I totally meant JavaScript
>>

> There's a ton of stuff on the web, but sorting the signal from the noise
>> can be hard.
>>

> I'm still fond of JavaScript: The Good Parts
> <http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596517748.do>
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Ever since Hypercard I have loved the "do something to something else with some other things" approach, and also that I don't have to worry about variable typing, declaration and scope. These are all issues that (I assume) you will have to accomodate with Javascript, along with it's syntax "variable = getSomething(thing1, thing2)" and the way they define control structures.

Bob S

> On May 21, 2018, at 17:59 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you for the links and suggestions Gentlemen .... i will look at them
> and see how far i can get with my study of Livecode & Javascript together.
>
> I'm not sure what about it I have disliked..... maybe i'll fall in love
> with it
>
> Thanks again

Re: LC & Java

On 29 May 2018, at 17:57, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:

> Ever since Hypercard I have loved the "do something to something else
> with some other things" approach, and also that I don't have to worry
> about variable typing, declaration and scope.

Amen brother! This is an important part of the magic of xTalk – we
should never forget just how magic-like it really is.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
The eminent historical fact is that HyperCard (still) is psycologically (and intellectually) magical, while RunTime, and also LiveCode, it seems, attempt to reduce all of it to technicalities. And although we live by technicalities, nobody reaches but for magic in his dreams. Cut the threads back and down to HyperCard completely and RT and LC vanish...

Sendt fra min iPhone

> 30. mai 2018 kl. 11:02 skrev Keith Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On 29 May 2018, at 17:57, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> Ever since Hypercard I have loved the "do something to something else with some other things" approach, and also that I don't have to worry about variable typing, declaration and scope.
>
> Amen brother! This is an important part of the magic of xTalk – we should never forget just how magic-like it really is.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Perhaps I don’t quite know what is being expressed here, but nevertheless I think it chimes with the feeling I have when I see stuff on this list about linting, github, even LCB. It’s an alien world. It may also be the future. Increasingly I realise I belong to the past. Is it time to stop trying to keep up?

Puzzled

Graham

> On 31 May 2018, at 05:35, Ingar Roggen via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The eminent historical fact is that HyperCard (still) is psycologically (and intellectually) magical, while RunTime, and also LiveCode, it seems, attempt to reduce all of it to technicalities. And although we live by technicalities, nobody reaches but for magic in his dreams. Cut the threads back and down to HyperCard completely and RT and LC vanish...
>
> Sendt fra min iPhone
>
>> 30. mai 2018 kl. 11:02 skrev Keith Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> On 29 May 2018, at 17:57, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> Ever since Hypercard I have loved the "do something to something else with some other things" approach, and also that I don't have to worry about variable typing, declaration and scope.
>>
>> Amen brother! This is an important part of the magic of xTalk – we should never forget just how magic-like it really is.

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
I wouldn't call it the past. I would call it taking the scenic route because it's more pleasant than the interstate, and less crowded, and also because oddly enough you get where you want to go much quicker! :-)

As far as things being in the past, everything is in the past except now... wait now that's in the past too. how about now.. no.. nn.. nnnn..... yeah I can't keep up.

Bob S

> On May 31, 2018, at 05:43 , Graham Samuel via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Perhaps I don’t quite know what is being expressed here, but nevertheless I think it chimes with the feeling I have when I see stuff on this list about linting, github, even LCB. It’s an alien world. It may also be the future. Increasingly I realise I belong to the past. Is it time to stop trying to keep up?
>
> Puzzled
>
> Graham

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:43 AM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps I don’t quite know what is being expressed here, but nevertheless
> I think it chimes with the feeling I have when I see stuff on this list
> about linting, github, even LCB. It’s an alien world. It may also be the
> future. Increasingly I realise I belong to the past. Is it time to stop
> trying to keep up?

Graham,

In the context this list linting, LCB, etc. are just subjects that are
interesting to people that want to extend LiveCode beyond the features that
are included. Previously that sort of talk focused on externals, Xcode, and
Visual Studio. LCB is the future of extending LiveCode. If you aren't
extending LiveCode then you can sit back and ignore it. Ideally you won't
have to think about it and will only have to enjoy the extra features that
others can now make available using LCB :-)

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: LC & Java

Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode
Trevor, thanks for your response. Of course you are right - and I do appreciate that there are many talented and hardworking people working on all this stuff and that LiveCoders as a whole will benefit, and some are already benefitting. I suppose it’s hard, given a pretty large chunk of a lifetime spent in software, to accept that I can’t really keep up. This is just a personal problem for me of course, but the more important question is about keeping the “magic” alive, i.e. making sure that newcomers to the product are not overwhelmed or scared off, but rather welcomed and pleasantly surprised how easy it is to become productive. I think the LC web site has stopped headlining “everyone can code”, hasn’t it? Perhaps this is in line with the current business strategy?

Anyway to argue more about this is probably counterproductive. Keep going!

Graham