Quantcast

LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

I just tested Augmented Earth on my iPhone. I was thrilled that webgl works in the browser widget with the right standalone settings.

However, I was a bit distressed to see raggedy edges on round-radius buttons.

What object should we use to have scalable buttons that look good on all platforms?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

Do you have something on these lines?:

“on preopenstack
   if the platform contains "iphone" then iphoneUseDeviceResolution true
end preopenstack”

> On May 10, 2017, at 7:38 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just tested Augmented Earth on my iPhone. I was thrilled that webgl works in the browser widget with the right standalone settings.
>
> However, I was a bit distressed to see raggedy edges on round-radius buttons.
>
> What object should we use to have scalable buttons that look good on all platforms?
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

I do not - is the issue about insufficient resolution?

Buttons displayed through a browser don't look jagged, so I thought it was more about how they are rendered.

I also want it to look good on Android, which does not have Retina display.

I will give it a try and report back.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have something on these lines?:
>
> “on preopenstack
>   if the platform contains "iphone" then iphoneUseDeviceResolution true
> end preopenstack”
>

>> On May 10, 2017, at 7:38 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just tested Augmented Earth on my iPhone. I was thrilled that webgl works in the browser widget with the right standalone settings.
>>
>> However, I was a bit distressed to see raggedy edges on round-radius buttons.
>>
>> What object should we use to have scalable buttons that look good on all platforms?
>>

>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

Without that line the browser part will be using native code to use Retina, and the LiveCode part won’t be using Retina.

Not sure if it will make a difference on Android, there you just get more pixels. As there are so many different screen sizes, Google don’t do the automatic handling of doubling up the image that iOS does.

Now, whether it even fills the screen on either platform will depend on the scale modes you’re using.

> On May 10, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do not - is the issue about insufficient resolution?
>
> Buttons displayed through a browser don't look jagged, so I thought it was more about how they are rendered.
>
> I also want it to look good on Android, which does not have Retina display.
>
> I will give it a try and report back.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 10, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have something on these lines?:
>>
>> “on preopenstack
>>  if the platform contains "iphone" then iphoneUseDeviceResolution true
>> end preopenstack”
>>

>>> On May 10, 2017, at 7:38 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tested Augmented Earth on my iPhone. I was thrilled that webgl works in the browser widget with the right standalone settings.
>>>
>>> However, I was a bit distressed to see raggedy edges on round-radius buttons.
>>>
>>> What object should we use to have scalable buttons that look good on all platforms?
>>>

>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

Thanks Colin, definitely going to try this.

The app resizes and repositions everything based on screen dimensions, so changing the resolution won't present any problems.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Without that line the browser part will be using native code to use Retina, and the LiveCode part won’t be using Retina.
>
> Not sure if it will make a difference on Android, there you just get more pixels. As there are so many different screen sizes, Google don’t do the automatic handling of doubling up the image that iOS does.
>
> Now, whether it even fills the screen on either platform will depend on the scale modes you’re using.
>

>> On May 10, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I do not - is the issue about insufficient resolution?
>>
>> Buttons displayed through a browser don't look jagged, so I thought it was more about how they are rendered.
>>
>> I also want it to look good on Android, which does not have Retina display.
>>
>> I will give it a try and report back.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On May 10, 2017, at 7:59 AM, Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have something on these lines?:
>>>
>>> “on preopenstack
>>> if the platform contains "iphone" then iphoneUseDeviceResolution true
>>> end preopenstack”

Re: LC buttons look like poo in iOS, options?

I tried it - this helps, but still looks pretty rough.

I think I have an idea for how we can use SVG files pretty fluidly, though.

Sent from my iPhone