Quantcast

LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I had been able to save a standalone of my app on 8.1.3 on a mac, but all of a sudden it crashes every time.

I cannot see where I changed anything in the app that would cause this. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?

Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

> On 10 Apr 2017, at 9:18 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had been able to save a standalone of my app on 8.1.3 on a mac, but all of a sudden it crashes every time.
>
> I cannot see where I changed anything in the app that would cause this. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?

Could you please attach the crash log to a bug report so we can work out exactly what’s causing the crash. It would also help if you checked if LC 8.1.4 RC 1 crashes with the same recipe.

Cheers

Monte

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I was working on a new Mac, and had transferred the data over from an old. I had the same issue and had to delete the LC preferences to be able to make a runtime.

Also, on another Mac, I sometimes get crashes when I just save a stack with a particular external hard drive attached. The drive starts to spin up, then the program crashes. I had to power off the drive to be able to save consistently.

Peter

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had been able to save a standalone of my app on 8.1.3 on a mac, but all of a sudden it crashes every time.
>
> I cannot see where I changed anything in the app that would cause this. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I am reinstalling 8.1.3 - but will also delete the preferences file

Monte, if I get another crash, I will save the file.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 7:37 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I was working on a new Mac, and had transferred the data over from an old. I had the same issue and had to delete the LC preferences to be able to make a runtime.
>
> Also, on another Mac, I sometimes get crashes when I just save a stack with a particular external hard drive attached. The drive starts to spin up, then the program crashes. I had to power off the drive to be able to save consistently.
>
> Peter
>

>> On Apr 9, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I had been able to save a standalone of my app on 8.1.3 on a mac, but all of a sudden it crashes every time.
>>
>> I cannot see where I changed anything in the app that would cause this. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
After reinstalling and deleting the preferences file - it still does it.

It works fine for a new stack, but not for this stack.

It makes me wonder if my stack is corrupted somehow.

Wow, frustrating.

Not sure if I should bother with a bug report, since it is just my stack, but no idea how to fix my stack either.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 7:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I am reinstalling 8.1.3 - but will also delete the preferences file
>
> Monte, if I get another crash, I will save the file.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 9, 2017, at 7:37 PM, Peter Bogdanoff via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I was working on a new Mac, and had transferred the data over from an old. I had the same issue and had to delete the LC preferences to be able to make a runtime.
>>
>> Also, on another Mac, I sometimes get crashes when I just save a stack with a particular external hard drive attached. The drive starts to spin up, then the program crashes. I had to power off the drive to be able to save consistently.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>>> On Apr 9, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had been able to save a standalone of my app on 8.1.3 on a mac, but all of a sudden it crashes every time.
>>>
>>> I cannot see where I changed anything in the app that would cause this. Has anyone else experienced this and how did you resolve it?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

> On 10 Apr 2017, at 10:39 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure if I should bother with a bug report, since it is just my stack, but no idea how to fix my stack either.

Please do. The engine shouldn’t crash.

Cheers

Monte

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a standalone.
So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning the stack or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 8:41 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Apr 2017, at 10:39 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure if I should bother with a bug report, since it is just my stack, but no idea how to fix my stack either.
>
> Please do. The engine shouldn’t crash.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

> On 10 Apr 2017, at 10:58 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a standalone.
> So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning the stack or something like that.

It sounds like attaching the stack to the report would be a big help too then.

Cheers

Monte

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Another update

It seems to have something to do with the browser widget getting corrupted.

I copied the browser widget to a new stack and it crashed while trying to save as a standalone.

Putting a new browser widget in the original stack did not help, but that stack has like 6 browser widget, do maybe I needed to replace them all.

I found a fix that appears to work, though. Not sure if the fix will last. I emailed the stack to my PC. Then I saved it from the PC and emailed it back to the Mac.

That version that had been processed by the PC was able to be saved as a standalone by the mac.

Weird.

I have noticed the browser widget do a few other weird things on the mac as well, like turn partially transparent for no obvious reason.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 9:34 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Apr 2017, at 10:58 am, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a standalone.
>> So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning the stack or something like that.
>
> It sounds like attaching the stack to the report would be a big help too then.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
interesting I was having exactly this problem this week… slightly different scenario, but smells like the same fishy business.

I was working in our branch "nightly" in 9 dp 5  and did something stupid broke stuff… I will spare you the story.

I thought "hmm I had this working in 8.1.3"  so I check out a commit from March 17th, as a new branch and went to work in 8.3.1

but my main stack refused to be accepted by xCode when I tried to put it on my phone…invalide entitlements. four days spinning wheels and testing.. changing my provisionig profile, checking entitlements from the cmd line… etc.  I could find nothing wrong.

Anyway, while mucking around in the old commit I discover where I had gone wrong later… it was not a big thing, so I when back to my "future" branch "nightly" in 9dp5.. and now, guess what.. the mainMyApp.livecode stack… I could now build the SA and xCode was happy with it..

but, and this is the mysterious part: the entitlements of my app as output by codesign an security cms… were exactly the same as the stack from the earlier commit that I was deploy with the SA in 8.1.3.

I could only assume that the myMainStack.livecode was corrupt some how, and yes, I went through the whole thing deleting my settings and even manually wiped cRevStandaloneSettings on the "bad stack" and rebuilt the SA settings from ground zero… nothing helped.

On 4/9/17, 2:58 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a standalone.
    So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning the stack or something like that.

    Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Swami,

Does your app have a browser widget?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 10, 2017, at 12:41 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> interesting I was having exactly this problem this week… slightly different scenario, but smells like the same fishy business.
>
> I was working in our branch "nightly" in 9 dp 5  and did something stupid broke stuff… I will spare you the story.
>
> I thought "hmm I had this working in 8.1.3"  so I check out a commit from March 17th, as a new branch and went to work in 8.3.1
>
> but my main stack refused to be accepted by xCode when I tried to put it on my phone…invalide entitlements. four days spinning wheels and testing.. changing my provisionig profile, checking entitlements from the cmd line… etc.  I could find nothing wrong.
>
> Anyway, while mucking around in the old commit I discover where I had gone wrong later… it was not a big thing, so I when back to my "future" branch "nightly" in 9dp5.. and now, guess what.. the mainMyApp.livecode stack… I could now build the SA and xCode was happy with it..
>
> but, and this is the mysterious part: the entitlements of my app as output by codesign an security cms… were exactly the same as the stack from the earlier commit that I was deploy with the SA in 8.1.3.
>
> I could only assume that the myMainStack.livecode was corrupt some how, and yes, I went through the whole thing deleting my settings and even manually wiped cRevStandaloneSettings on the "bad stack" and rebuilt the SA settings from ground zero… nothing helped.
>
> On 4/9/17, 2:58 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a standalone.
>    So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning the stack or something like that.
>
>    Sent from my iPhone

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
there was a bug in that version...try 8.14...I had the same issue...solved
now.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 5:20 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Swami,
>
> Does your app have a browser widget?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Apr 10, 2017, at 12:41 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > interesting I was having exactly this problem this week… slightly
> different scenario, but smells like the same fishy business.
> >
> > I was working in our branch "nightly" in 9 dp 5  and did something
> stupid broke stuff… I will spare you the story.
> >
> > I thought "hmm I had this working in 8.1.3"  so I check out a commit
> from March 17th, as a new branch and went to work in 8.3.1
> >
> > but my main stack refused to be accepted by xCode when I tried to put it
> on my phone…invalide entitlements. four days spinning wheels and testing..
> changing my provisionig profile, checking entitlements from the cmd line…
> etc.  I could find nothing wrong.
> >
> > Anyway, while mucking around in the old commit I discover where I had
> gone wrong later… it was not a big thing, so I when back to my "future"
> branch "nightly" in 9dp5.. and now, guess what.. the mainMyApp.livecode
> stack… I could now build the SA and xCode was happy with it..
> >
> > but, and this is the mysterious part: the entitlements of my app as
> output by codesign an security cms… were exactly the same as the stack from
> the earlier commit that I was deploy with the SA in 8.1.3.
> >
> > I could only assume that the myMainStack.livecode was corrupt some how,
> and yes, I went through the whole thing deleting my settings and even
> manually wiped cRevStandaloneSettings on the "bad stack" and rebuilt the SA
> settings from ground zero… nothing helped.
> >
> > On 4/9/17, 2:58 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Jonathan Lynch via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >    One more update - an earlier version of the app will save to a
> standalone.
> >    So, definitely something wrong with the stack. Going to try cloning
> the stack or something like that.
> >
> >    Sent from my iPhone

*Tom Glod*

CEO @ *MakeShyft R.D.A* - www.makeshyft.com

Developer of *U.M.P* - www.IamUMP.com

Re: LC crashing when trying to save a standalone

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
As both Monte and Tom have suggested, moving to 8.1.4 rc 1 fixed the
problem for me. I am usually wary of using rc versions, but if you are
going to use a browser widget, it is probably a good idea.

Do all things with love