LC on Chromebook?

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Not for running apps. For programming.

Is there ANY way to get LC running on a Chromebook?

One possibility is a cloud service (MacInClud or Frame). But there´s a fee
--  unless someone knows of a limited trial service? -- plus, when not on
wifi, my connection is thru hotspotting onto a limited dataplan?

Thank you.

--
Nicolás Cueto

Re: LC on Chromebook?

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
https://www.howtogeek.com/363331/how-to-set-up-and-use-linux-apps-on-chrome-os/

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/19/install-linux-applications-chrome-os/

It may be possible according to this new capability to run Linux apps. I’ve not seen any reported successes though.

Thanks,
Brian
On Sep 17, 2018, 9:15 PM -0500, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Not for running apps. For programming.
>
> Is there ANY way to get LC running on a Chromebook?
>
> One possibility is a cloud service (MacInClud or Frame). But there´s a fee
> -- unless someone knows of a limited trial service? -- plus, when not on
> wifi, my connection is thru hotspotting onto a limited dataplan?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Nicolás Cueto

Re: LC on Chromebook?

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Thank you, Brian.

Well, following Brian's lead, I've now learnt (to my regret!) the
importance of the term "kernel" (plus, the Chromebook term "channels")
because, the Linux capability of any particular Chromebook depends on the
Linux kernel version number -- currently 4.4 for Linux-on-Chrome, and with "no
plans to support Linux 3.14 or older
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/docs/+/master/containers_and_vms.md#Hardware-Requirements>
".

Fingers crossed for an update (and soon!) of Linux-on-Chrome, to verify
whether or not LC can run on my newish-model-but-3.18-kernel-hamstrung
Chromebook...

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 11:21, Brian Milby via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://www.howtogeek.com/363331/how-to-set-up-and-use-linux-apps-on-chrome-os/
>

> https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/08/19/install-linux-applications-chrome-os/
>
> It may be possible according to this new capability to run Linux apps.
> I’ve not seen any reported successes though.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
> On Sep 17, 2018, 9:15 PM -0500, Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>, wrote:
> > Not for running apps. For programming.
> >
> > Is there ANY way to get LC running on a Chromebook?
> >
> > One possibility is a cloud service (MacInClud or Frame). But there´s a
> fee
> > -- unless someone knows of a limited trial service? -- plus, when not on
> > wifi, my connection is thru hotspotting onto a limited dataplan?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Nicolás Cueto

Re: LC on Chromebook?