LC on Raspberry Pi3

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Anybody running any apps on RPi3 (Raspbian)?

SKIP

Re: LC on Raspberry Pi3

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
All > 100 stacks from my Raspberry Pi stacks collection (Forum) run
on Raspi 2B+/3 using the LC 6.5.1 or LC 7.0.4 IDE. Some of them may
be called "apps".

Of course they run also as standalone on Raspi 2B+/3.
Simply compile one of these on Mac/Win/linux and run them on Raspi ...

I also made an app "ImageJIT" that uses LC as a GUI and does most of
its work with Luajit via shell. Runs faster as image processing with
pure LC Script from IDE on a 3 GHZ linux box!

Re: LC on Raspberry Pi3

hh wrote:

 > I also made an app "ImageJIT" that uses LC as a GUI and does most of
 > its work with Luajit via shell. Runs faster as image processing with
 > pure LC Script from IDE on a 3 GHZ linux box!

Interesting.  If I read that correctly, you've found an equivalent test
in both Lua and LC in which LC is much faster?

That might make a good guest article for the LC blog.

Re: LC on Raspberry Pi3

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
No, vice versa. ImageJIT (= LC as GUI + luajit via shell) on Raspberry 3 is
faster as 'LC with LCS only' on the 3 GHZ CPU (a linux box).

The Raspi app lets do the core processing of the raw imageData by luajit
and the 'LC with LCS only' is running with my fastest LC Scripts.

Doing both on the 3 GHZ:
ImageJIT runs in average 50 times faster than the fastest LC scripts I know
(and I know a lot, incl. Bernd's and Wilhelm's scripts). ImageJIT is without
a decent GPU about as fast as running the image processing by javascript in
a browser widget using a decent GPU.

I built last year standalones using LC 6 for Mac/Win/linux.
** Just try yourself. Then you will believe what I claimed at top of this post.
As these are "beta"-versions, the code is not yet available. I#ll share it when finished is already again in my "top-ten-to-do".

The standalones hopefully run on all machines that are able to run LC 6.5.
More info and download available here (luajit binaries from the ufo project
by "malkia" are included).

Using a FFI: hhImageJIT
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=143932#p143932

p.s. lua (without JIT compiler of Mike Pall) does image processing at about
the same speed as LC Script.

Re: LC on Raspberry Pi3

hh wrote:

> No, vice versa. ImageJIT (= LC as GUI + luajit via shell) on Raspberry 3 is
> faster as 'LC with LCS only' on the 3 GHZ CPU (a linux box).
>
> The Raspi app lets do the core processing of the raw imageData by luajit
> and the 'LC with LCS only' is running with my fastest LC Scripts.
>
> Doing both on the 3 GHZ:
> ImageJIT runs in average 50 times faster than the fastest LC scripts I know
> (and I know a lot, incl. Bernd's and Wilhelm's scripts). ImageJIT is without
> a decent GPU about as fast as running the image processing by javascript in
> a browser widget using a decent GPU.
>
> I built last year standalones using LC 6 for Mac/Win/linux.
> ** Just try yourself. Then you will believe what I claimed at top of this post.
> As these are "beta"-versions, the code is not yet available. I#ll share it when finished is already again in my "top-ten-to-do".
>
> The standalones hopefully run on all machines that are able to run LC 6.5.
> More info and download available here (luajit binaries from the ufo project
> by "malkia" are included).
>
> Using a FFI: hhImageJIT
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=143932#p143932
>
> p.s. lua (without JIT compiler of Mike Pall) does image processing at about
> the same speed as LC Script.

Thanks.  Good to know.  It would be nice if we had some JIT-like option
for getting closer to machine code.