Large files crash on Windows 10

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Does anyone else have problems dealing with large files on Windows 10?  My main LiveCode tool is a stack of about 1.5 MB, and I use it to create, save, and open LiveCode stacks that store text and graphics.  These "content" stacks can be anywhere from a few kilobytes to 50 MB or more.  On an iMac, these all run smoothly.  On Windows 10, my larger content stacks (>10 MB) will sometimes close unexpectedly, or crash LiveCode entirely.  The typical trigger is either executing a save command, or clicking on a list of cards to navigate to a card that contains a large table of text.
Does anyone have relevant experiences or suggested remedies or ways of better diagnosing the problem?

Perhaps relevant is that on the Mac I mostly use LC 5.5, on Windows 10 I am using LC Community 9.0 (dp4).

Many thanks.
David Epstein

Re: Large files crash on Windows 10

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode

> Perhaps relevant is that on the Mac I mostly use LC 5.5, on Windows 10 I am using LC Community 9.0 (dp4).

Just out of interest, did you try with LC 9.0 on Mac OS X also and is there a reason why you do not use 9.0.1?

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe

free tools for Livecoders:
https://instamaker.dermattes.de
https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de

Re: Large files crash on Windows 10

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode

I develop a stack that is now up to 35 MBs on a Windows 10 machine without
any crashes like you described. I use LC 7.1.4 Indy for this. I also
distribute standalones built with this stack and it is also stable on
Windows 10.

When you have these crashes, do you find the artifact ~ file that indicates
the Save process was interrupted or has failed?  Does the stack file become
corrupted?

Tom B.

Re: Large files crash on Windows 10

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I had this issue, because I was attempting to save from a standalone, and the permissions were not set for writing to the place I was saving the stacks to. I had to disable stack saving in Windows to prevent the CDT.

Bob S

> On Oct 31, 2018, at 10:26 , DAVID Epstein via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone else have problems dealing with large files on Windows 10?  My main LiveCode tool is a stack of about 1.5 MB, and I use it to create, save, and open LiveCode stacks that store text and graphics.  These "content" stacks can be anywhere from a few kilobytes to 50 MB or more.  On an iMac, these all run smoothly.  On Windows 10, my larger content stacks (>10 MB) will sometimes close unexpectedly, or crash LiveCode entirely.  The typical trigger is either executing a save command, or clicking on a list of cards to navigate to a card that contains a large table of text.

Re: Large files crash on Windows 10

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Actually now that I think of it I believe I had to disable saving stacks in ANY platform unless in development mode.

Bob S