Learning about server

Dar Scott
I would like to learn about server.

But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.

Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

John Craig-4
Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone
recently about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest
there would be, but here is the current list of possible topics;

Basic .lc server scripts
Sessions
Basic logging in and out with sessions
SQL primer
Server scripts with MySQL
Logging in and out with a database
Web applications
User and group permissions
Javascript
AJAX
Web APIs
Push notifications: iOS/Android
Basic record versioning with AJAX

With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb,
delivery could be fun..

On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:

> I would like to learn about server.
>
> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>
> Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

Matthias Rebbe | M-R-D
I, for one, would buy it.
Especially Push notifications would be more than interesting.

Regards,

Matthias

Am 10.06.2014 um 11:56 schrieb John Craig <[hidden email]>:

> Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone recently about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest there would be, but here is the current list of possible topics;
>
> Basic .lc server scripts
> Sessions
> Basic logging in and out with sessions
> SQL primer
> Server scripts with MySQL
> Logging in and out with a database
> Web applications
> User and group permissions
> Javascript
> AJAX
> Web APIs
> Push notifications: iOS/Android
> Basic record versioning with AJAX
>

> With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb, delivery could be fun..
>

> On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would like to learn about server.
>>
>> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>>
>> Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

Dave Kilroy
Well we have books on general LC from Mark, on Mobile from Colin, and on gaming-making from Scott - but we have a gaping hole for LC Server just waiting for someone to fill! With at least two customers :)

Actually it just occurs to me that we have another gaping lacuna in LC books, concerning communication (serial, USB etc) - feeling strong Dar?

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: Learning about server

Marc Van Cauwenberghe
Hi John,,
I would pre-order!

Best regards,
Marc

Op 10-jun.-2014, om 11:56 heeft John Craig <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

> Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone recently about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest there would be, but here is the current list of possible topics;
>
> Basic .lc server scripts
> Sessions
> Basic logging in and out with sessions
> SQL primer
> Server scripts with MySQL
> Logging in and out with a database
> Web applications
> User and group permissions
> Javascript
> AJAX
> Web APIs
> Push notifications: iOS/Android
> Basic record versioning with AJAX
>

> With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb, delivery could be fun..
>

> On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would like to learn about server.
>>
>> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>>
>> Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

Simon Smith-2
I have been working on a general guide on LC server - its been a great way
to figure out how everything works. There is a still a ton of stuff I would
like to still add ... but if its helps people in the interim I am happy to
share. I'll take a look when I am at home this evening and see if its a
state I share.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:43 PM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Well we have books on general LC from Mark, on Mobile from Colin, and on
> gaming-making from Scott - but we have a gaping hole for LC Server just
> waiting for someone to fill! With at least two customers :)
>
> Actually it just occurs to me that we have another gaping lacuna in LC
> books, concerning communication (serial, USB etc) - feeling strong Dar?
>
> Dave
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust
> upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

*Simon Smith*
*seo, online marketing, web development*

w. http://www.simonsmith.co
m. +27 83 306 7862

Re: Learning about server

rjd318

Ditto! In for one on a server book =)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 10, 2014, at 8:01 AM, Marc Van Cauwenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,,
> I would pre-order!
>
> Best regards,
> Marc
>
>> Op 10-jun.-2014, om 11:56 heeft John Craig <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone recently about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest there would be, but here is the current list of possible topics;
>>
>> Basic .lc server scripts
>> Sessions
>> Basic logging in and out with sessions
>> SQL primer
>> Server scripts with MySQL
>> Logging in and out with a database
>> Web applications
>> User and group permissions
>> Javascript
>> AJAX
>> Web APIs
>> Push notifications: iOS/Android
>> Basic record versioning with AJAX
>>

>> With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb, delivery could be fun..
>>

>>> On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:
>>> I would like to learn about server.
>>>
>>> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>>>
>>> Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

Dar Scott
My immediate need would not be a way to deliver web content, but just as a way to make a console application on Windows.  But, I can see the former in my future.

Dar

On Jun 10, 2014, at 3:56 AM, John Craig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone recently about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest there would be, but here is the current list of possible topics;
>
> Basic .lc server scripts
> Sessions
> Basic logging in and out with sessions
> SQL primer
> Server scripts with MySQL
> Logging in and out with a database
> Web applications
> User and group permissions
> Javascript
> AJAX
> Web APIs
> Push notifications: iOS/Android
> Basic record versioning with AJAX
>

> With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb, delivery could be fun..
>

> On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would like to learn about server.
>>
>> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>>
>> Dar Scott

Re: Learning about server

Dar Scott
Thanks for the kind encouragement.  I am pondering this.

Dar

On Jun 10, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well we have books on general LC from Mark, on Mobile from Colin, and on
> gaming-making from Scott - but we have a gaping hole for LC Server just
> waiting for someone to fill! With at least two customers :)
>
> Actually it just occurs to me that we have another gaping lacuna in LC
> books, concerning communication (serial, USB etc) - feeling strong Dar?
>
> Dave
>

> -----
> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Re: Learning about server

Wprothero
Dar,
I'd definitely buy your book. Some of the things I would be interested in is how to create a reasonable looking ui, which will require html5, JavaScript,  and css3. I've dabbled in all 3 of these but since I use them rarely, it's a pain to use them. It would be nice to have a prescription for how to create commonly used interface elements.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Jun 10, 2014, at 7:25 AM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the kind encouragement.  I am pondering this.
>
> Dar
>

>> On Jun 10, 2014, at 6:43 AM, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well we have books on general LC from Mark, on Mobile from Colin, and on
>> gaming-making from Scott - but we have a gaping hole for LC Server just
>> waiting for someone to fill! With at least two customers :)
>>
>> Actually it just occurs to me that we have another gaping lacuna in LC
>> books, concerning communication (serial, USB etc) - feeling strong Dar?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>> -----
>> "Some are born coders, some achieve coding, and some have coding thrust upon them." - William Shakespeare & Hugh Senior

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Learning about server

Dave Kilroy
Hi Simon

I remember you posted something about a server book a while ago - if it's still on the cards I'll buy your book AND John's!

If you're not at that stage yet then I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in anything you might want to share   - actually, even helping produce up-to-date docs on how to install LC Server would be great :)

Kind regards
Peter M. Brigham

Re: Learning about server

Dar wrote:
 > My immediate need would not be a way to deliver web content, but just
 > as a way to make a console application on Windows.  But, I can see
 > the former in my future.

There are so many useful and interesting things to do with LiveCode
Server, and even standalones on servers, it's almost overwhelming.

These days a majority of the work I do is making client-server apps
where LiveCode runs both sides.  I currently have only one site where LC
is used to generate output for the Web - everything else is either APIs
for other services, or the backend for LC-based clients used in
workgroup settings.

Given the wide range of ways LC is useful on servers, with all due
respect to the ambitions of those interested in writing a book on it, it
would be a big one.

Last month I outlined my plans for the LiveCode Server Center, in the
works for LiveCode Journal now that I finally put a CMS in place there
(and of course the CMS is made with LiveCode, all the way down to the
data store):
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2014-May/201516.html>

As I wrote then, I don't mean to discourage anyone from writing a book,
and indeed there is likely a good audience for it.

But given the scope of what LC Server can do, and the many other aspects
that come into play with using it well (the critical role of performance
in the inherently-short CGI runtime lifecycle, how mod_rewrite works,
SSH keys, bash, rsync, custom servers like looping CLI daemons and
simpler GUI apps, REST API design, and more), it would be nice if there
were also a community-driven effort to provide as much material as we
can in a format that's as free and open as LiveCode itself.

That said, books also play a useful role in evangelizing LiveCode as a
platform, esp. when they come from established publishers.   A good
publisher can do wonders for reinforcing a strong image of LiveCode and
its ever-expanding third-party ecosystem.  I have some contacts at
publishers and would be happy to provide introductions if useful.

And the upside for book publishing is that with RunRev's newsletters
having displaced much of the energy that used to go into LiveCode
Journal, at this point LCJ is mostly a one-man show.  Being heavily
booked with client commitments, devoting time to fleshing out what can
go there has been challenging, and somewhat slow.

Still, I felt obliged to note what's coming with the LiveCode Server
Center at LCJ (hopefully sooner than later), and to extend an invitation
for anyone interested in sharing free learning materials to consider
LiveCodeJournal.com as an available venue for community resources, not
only for LiveCode Server but anything else you feel would be of interest
to the community.

We have all the infrastructure Dreamhost provides, and plenty of disk
space and bandwidth, all there for use by the LiveCode community.

   LiveCode Community Manager

Re: Learning about server

dunbarxx
I would pre- order two copies.

Craig Newman

Op 10-jun.-2014, om 11:56 heeft John Craig <[hidden email]> het volgende
geschreven:

> Any areas in particular that interest you?  I was speaking to someone recently
about writing a book on LC server - not sure how much interest there would be,
but here is the current list of possible topics;

> Basic .lc server scripts
> Sessions
> Basic logging in and out with sessions
> SQL primer
> Server scripts with MySQL
> Logging in and out with a database
> Web applications
> User and group permissions
> Javascript
> AJAX
> Web APIs
> Push notifications: iOS/Android
> Basic record versioning with AJAX
>

> With hangouts / skype and all the other wonders of the interweb, delivery
could be fun..

> On 10/06/2014 04:00, Dar Scott wrote:
>> I would like to learn about server.
>>
>> But, as Frodo would way, I don’t know the way.
>>
>> Dar Scott

jbv

Best approach to introduce students in programing to LC ?

jbv
Hi list,
Starting next september I might have the opportunity to give
a few hours of teaching at the local technology institute for
students in their 1st and 2nd year of learning techniques of
internet, multimedia and programming.
Of course the first idea that crossed my mind was to introduce
them to LC, as a recent discussion with some of their teachers
showed clearly that almost nobody there was aware of it, and
those who knew about LC haven't found the time to test it...
I might be wrong, but the best / most attractive approach seems
to be "code once deploy many"...
Do you guys have some suggestions about what the main
chapters of such a teaching should be ?
I'll also try to find the time to search the archives, as I'm sure
that topic has already been discussed...

Thanks
jbv

Re: Learning about server

Dave Kilroy
Richard your LiveCode Server Center sounds supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
Peter M. Brigham

Re: Best approach to introduce students in programing to LC ?

jbv wrote:

 > Starting next september I might have the opportunity to give
 > a few hours of teaching at the local technology institute
 > for students in their 1st and 2nd year of learning techniques
 > of internet, multimedia and programming.
 > Of course the first idea that crossed my mind was to introduce
 > them to LC, as a recent discussion with some of their teachers
 > showed clearly that almost nobody there was aware of it, and
 > those who knew about LC haven't found the time to test it...
 > I might be wrong, but the best / most attractive approach seems
 > to be "code once deploy many"...
 > Do you guys have some suggestions about what the main
 > chapters of such a teaching should be ?
 > I'll also try to find the time to search the archives, as I'm
 > sure that topic has already been discussed...

Email lists are good for many things, but preserving conversational
threads isn't one of them.

Google doesn't bother indexing everything that happens here, so I've
found GMane a better list archive search:
<http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.comp.ide.revolution>

But this may be a case where the forums can be useful, with categorized
conversations that include a section on LiveCode in Education, and a
topic devoted exclusively to Teaching with LiveCode:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=25>

Every person I know who teaches and knows LiveCode readily grasps LC's
relevance for a beginner's CS curriculum.  Squeak is outgrown too
quickly, and Java takes too long before it becomes fun.  LC is the
perfect fit in between - hopefully we can get some empowering exchanges
happening in the LC EDU community to make this happen more now that LC
is free and open.

  LiveCode Community Manager

Re: Learning about server

John Craig-4
I wasn't thinking about writing "the big book of everything you can
conceivably do with LiveCode Server"  :D
More like "The Hitchhiker's Guide To LiveCode Server"... with some
suitably large, friendly message on the cover ...

I still buy books - I'd rather leaf through a hard copy after staring at
a screen all day.  One of the first things I did after discovering
Revolution was to search for books, and - sadly - there were none.

On 10/06/2014 16:49, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> [...]
>
> And the upside for book publishing is that with RunRev's newsletters
> having displaced much of the energy that used to go into LiveCode
> Journal, at this point LCJ is mostly a one-man show.  Being heavily
> booked with client commitments, devoting time to fleshing out what can
> go there has been challenging, and somewhat slow.
>
> Still, I felt obliged to note what's coming with the LiveCode Server
> Center at LCJ (hopefully sooner than later), and to extend an
> invitation for anyone interested in sharing free learning materials to
> consider LiveCodeJournal.com as an available venue for community
> resources, not only for LiveCode Server but anything else you feel
> would be of interest to the community.
>
> We have all the infrastructure Dreamhost provides, and plenty of disk
> space and bandwidth, all there for use by the LiveCode community.

Re: Learning about server

Simon Smith-2
Hi Richard

I would be happy to contribute to LCJ and it will be interesting to see
what you have setup.

Writing a book would be a mammoth task - and I for one, would not be
certain just how large a target market there would be, so they would truly
be a labour of love :)

But for now - this is something I have been dabbling with,
http://activethought.net/livecode-server/ its far from complete and
hopefully not to many errors and spelling mistakes. It is probably a bit on
the simple side - but if it helps one person, then I would be happy.

Kind Regards
Simon

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:49 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> And the upside for book publishing is that with RunRev's newsletters
> having displaced much of the energy that used to go into LiveCode Journal,
> at this point LCJ is mostly a one-man show.  Being heavily booked with
> client commitments, devoting time to fleshing out what can go there has
> been challenging, and somewhat slow.
>
> Still, I felt obliged to note what's coming with the LiveCode Server
> Center at LCJ (hopefully sooner than later), and to extend an invitation
> for anyone interested in sharing free learning materials to consider
> LiveCodeJournal.com as an available venue for community resources, not only
> for LiveCode Server but anything else you feel would be of interest to the
> community.
>
> We have all the infrastructure Dreamhost provides, and plenty of disk
> space and bandwidth, all there for use by the LiveCode community.

Re: Learning about server

John Craig-4
Maybe we should all have a hangout some time and chew over a few ideas?

On 10/06/2014 17:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> I would pre- order two copies.
>

> Craig Newman

Re: Learning about server

Simon Smith-2