Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Howdy folks,

Version 0.9.5 of the Levure framework is now available.

https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/releases

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Trevor

Your readme.md and your posts here could do with a description of what Levure is and does. Just use the first paragraph from your wiki.

All the best

Sean Cole
Pi Digital

> On 14 Feb 2018, at 16:38, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Howdy folks,
>
> Version 0.9.5 of the Levure framework is now available.
>
> https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/releases
>
> --
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
> www.screensteps.com

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Levure Framework is a method for creating LC applications that leverage Script Only stacks for the code so that versioning and distribution systems like GitHub can be used in the development process. (Trevor will correct me if I am wrong). Even if such a system is not used, multiuser development systems can be leveraged by limiting write access to any script only stack file to a single user.

Bob S

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 01:15 , Pi Digital via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Trevor
>
> Your readme.md and your posts here could do with a description of what Levure is and does. Just use the first paragraph from your wiki.
>
> All the best
>
> Sean Cole
> Pi Digital
>
>> On 14 Feb 2018, at 16:38, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy folks,
>>
>> Version 0.9.5 of the Levure framework is now available.
>>
>> https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/releases
>>
>> --
>> Trevor DeVore
>> ScreenSteps
>> www.screensteps.com

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Check the wiki instead of the readme.md.  The documentation is extensive.
https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Check the wiki instead of the readme.md.  The documentation is extensive.
> https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki

The wiki is definitely where you want to end up. The readme has a short
description and points users to the wiki documentation to learn more.

Trevor DeVore

> <https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki>

Setting cantDelete of a field

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi,

A colleague who is working in a LC stack has several times in the past, and just again today, accidentally deleted fields of a group acting as a background. He doesn’t notice the field is deleted, saves the stack, and all his text on many cards is gone.

LiveCode has a cantDelete property that can be set for stacks, groups, and cards. Is there any particular reason why fields or any other control cannot have that property?

I know about the cantModify, but that is a stack level property that doesn’t allow anything to be modified.

I just want to set the cantDelete property of valuable objects to true.

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive

Re: Setting cantDelete of a field

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have an app where the user can create a document from a pre-made template and add some of their own fields, lines, etc. They can delete those, but there are objects that they should not. So I use a front script and trap for all the variations of delete, cut, etc. I set a custom property for the objects that should not be deleted (cpCantDelete) and the front script checks the cpCantDelete of the selectedObject. Maybe set up the development environment with a similar front script and a feature where right-clicking with a modifier key (so you can still access the LC popup too) pops up a menu to make setting the custom property quick and easy.

Marty

> Hi,
>
> A colleague who is working in a LC stack has several times in the past, and just again today, accidentally deleted fields of a group acting as a background. He doesn’t notice the field is deleted, saves the stack, and all his text on many cards is gone.
>
> LiveCode has a cantDelete property that can be set for stacks, groups, and cards. Is there any particular reason why fields or any other control cannot have that property?
>
> I know about the cantModify, but that is a stack level property that doesn’t allow anything to be modified.
>
> I just want to set the cantDelete property of valuable objects to true.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
> ArtsInteractive

Re: Setting cantDelete of a field

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks for this suggestion Marty, I’ll use it.

It still would be great to have an engine-level property.

Peter

> On Feb 16, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Knapp Martin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have an app where the user can create a document from a pre-made template and add some of their own fields, lines, etc. They can delete those, but there are objects that they should not. So I use a front script and trap for all the variations of delete, cut, etc. I set a custom property for the objects that should not be deleted (cpCantDelete) and the front script checks the cpCantDelete of the selectedObject. Maybe set up the development environment with a similar front script and a feature where right-clicking with a modifier key (so you can still access the LC popup too) pops up a menu to make setting the custom property quick and easy.
>
> Marty
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A colleague who is working in a LC stack has several times in the past, and just again today, accidentally deleted fields of a group acting as a background. He doesn’t notice the field is deleted, saves the stack, and all his text on many cards is gone.
>>
>> LiveCode has a cantDelete property that can be set for stacks, groups, and cards. Is there any particular reason why fields or any other control cannot have that property?
>>
>> I know about the cantModify, but that is a stack level property that doesn’t allow anything to be modified.
>>
>> I just want to set the cantDelete property of valuable objects to true.
>>
>> Peter Bogdanoff
>> ArtsInteractive

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have not tried to look at Levure until now, but since I am in difficulties trying to create a user-oriented update system (the kind that professionals use Sparkle for on Mac, and other techniques on other platforms), I have some hopes (from previous emails from Trevor) that Levure might help me. However, on first looking at the wiki, I think that what Levure needs is a big commitment to work in a specific way - a good way, bien sure, but not the way us primitive old coders have been doing for the last few decades. This means, if I am right (and I could so easily not be) that a ‘traditional’ app development, where stacks contain code in various forms, could not be retrofitted to the Levure environment. Rather, one would have to start from scratch, or at the very least do a great deal of restructuring of such an existing app, so that pretty much all the code is script-only. Plus of course learning the philosophy of Levure, and feeling comfortable with Github...

Can anyone comment on this enough to clear my head a little?

TIA

Graham
(A very old coder, who in his twilight years is trying to stick purely to LC rather than try to recycle his misspent youth, where several now extinct low- and high-level languages had to be mastered).

> On 16 Feb 2018, at 00:42, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Check the wiki instead of the readme.md.  The documentation is extensive.
>> https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki
>

> The wiki is definitely where you want to end up. The readme has a short
> description and points users to the wiki documentation to learn more.
>
> —
> Trevor DeVore
>
>> <https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki>

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Graham,

1) You do not need to scriptify (move code into script only stacks) your
stacks to use them in Levure. Levure supports an organizational structure
(the `ui` folder in Levure) which makes it easy to organize binary stacks
that use script only stacks as behaviors.

2) You are not required to use Git in order to use Levure. Levure helps you
organize your code so that you can benefit from version control. It doesn’t
require it.

3) You can still benefit from using Levure if you don’t use script only
stacks or git yet. Levure provides a powerful packaging system for
packaging your apps for distribution. Helpers allow you to drop in
functionality that your app may need such as Prefernces, Inno Setup,
DropDMG, etc. (On a somewhat related note I’m currently updating SQL Yoga
to work as a helper which will simplify its usage considerably as all of
the configuration is done with YAML files.)

What I’ve done in the past when converting an app is move my stacks into
the appropriate Levure folders without worrying about scriptifying them. I
then move any app initialization code into the appropriate handlers in the
Levure `app.livecodescript` file.

Once the app is working again then I go back and scriptify stacks as
needed. Libraries that don’t use any internal custom properties are easy to
convert as are front and back scripts. You can then slowly go through each
folder in the `app/ui` folder and move the scripts into a `behavior` folder
that sits along each stack. No rush though.

Trevor DeVore

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 4:33 AM Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have not tried to look at Levure until now, but since I am in
> difficulties trying to create a user-oriented update system (the kind that
> professionals use Sparkle for on Mac, and other techniques on other
> platforms), I have some hopes (from previous emails from Trevor) that
> Levure might help me. However, on first looking at the wiki, I think that
> what Levure needs is a big commitment to work in a specific way - a good
> way, bien sure, but not the way us primitive old coders have been doing for
> the last few decades. This means, if I am right (and I could so easily not
> be) that a ‘traditional’ app development, where stacks contain code in
> various forms, could not be retrofitted to the Levure environment. Rather,
> one would have to start from scratch, or at the very least do a great deal
> of restructuring of such an existing app, so that pretty much all the code
> is script-only. Plus of course learning the philosophy of Levure, and
> feeling comfortable with Github...
>
> Can anyone comment on this enough to clear my head a little?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham
> (A very old coder, who in his twilight years is trying to stick purely to
> LC rather than try to recycle his misspent youth, where several now extinct
> low- and high-level languages had to be mastered).
>
> > On 16 Feb 2018, at 00:42, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 4:30 PM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Check the wiki instead of the readme.md.  The documentation is
> extensive.
> >> https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki
> >

> > The wiki is definitely where you want to end up. The readme has a short
> > description and points users to the wiki documentation to learn more.
> >
> > —
> > Trevor DeVore
> >
> >> <https://github.com/trevordevore/levure/wiki>

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
@Trevor
That would be good advice to add to the wiki as a "trying out and
transitioning to Levure" item

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:09 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > of restructuring of such an existing app, so that pretty much all the
> code
> > is script-only. Plus of course learning the philosophy of Levure, and
> > feeling comfortable with Github...
> >
> > Can anyone comment on this enough to clear my head a little?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Graham
> > (A very old coder, who in his twilight years is trying to stick purely to
> > LC rather than try to recycle his misspent youth, where several now
> extinct
> > low- and high-level languages had to be mastered).
> >
> > > On 16 Feb 2018, at 00:42, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > extensive.
> > >

> > > The wiki is definitely where you want to end up. The readme has a short
> > > description and points users to the wiki documentation to learn more.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Trevor
> That would be good advice to add to the wiki as a "trying out and
> transitioning to Levure" item

I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)

Trevor DeVore

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Then you have to throw these things out more often so the bread-and-butter
cult can do your bidding, my crusty master

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > @Trevor
> > That would be good advice to add to the wiki as a "trying out and
> > transitioning to Levure" item
>

> I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)
>
> —
> Trevor DeVore

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
And wait, don't you have a Documentation Doughboy?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Then you have to throw these things out more often so the bread-and-butter
> cult can do your bidding, my crusty master
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > @Trevor
>> > That would be good advice to add to the wiki as a "trying out and
>> > transitioning to Levure" item
>>

>> I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)
>>
>> —
>> Trevor DeVore

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
:-)

Usually it is just a matter of someone  asking the right question. It is
easier to respond to a question then to set aside time to consider all of
the questions people may be having and try to proactively create docs.
Unfortunately my time for extracurricular projects has been very limited as
of late.

Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then you have to throw these things out more often so the bread-and-butter
> cult can do your bidding, my crusty master
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > @Trevor
> > > That would be good advice to add to the wiki as a "trying out and
> > > transitioning to Levure" item
> >

> > I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)
> >
> > —
> > Trevor DeVore

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Issue filed, let's discuss over there.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> :-)
>
> Usually it is just a matter of someone  asking the right question. It is
> easier to respond to a question then to set aside time to consider all of
> the questions people may be having and try to proactively create docs.
> Unfortunately my time for extracurricular projects has been very limited as
> of late.
>
> —
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Then you have to throw these things out more often so the
> bread-and-butter
> > cult can do your bidding, my crusty master
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)
> > >
> > > —
> > > Trevor DeVore

> > --
> > On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> > On the second day, God created the oceans.
> > On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >    and did a little diving.
> > And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I understand the problem. It looks as if I might have a short window of around 3 days where I could see if I could get Levure to work for me. If (and it is only an if)  I manage this, I will try to write it up.

Graham

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 16:45, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> :-)
>
> Usually it is just a matter of someone  asking the right question. It is
> easier to respond to a question then to set aside time to consider all of
> the questions people may be having and try to proactively create docs.
> Unfortunately my time for extracurricular projects has been very limited as
> of late.
>
> —
> Trevor DeVore
> ScreenSteps
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Then you have to throw these things out more often so the bread-and-butter
>> cult can do your bidding, my crusty master
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:25 AM, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I agree. Somebody should write that up and submit a PR :-)
>>>
>>> —
>>> Trevor DeVore

>> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
>> On the second day, God created the oceans.
>> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>>   and did a little diving.
>> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I wouldn't do it if you only have 3 days.  I'd spend the effort on other
parts of your project instead.  It will take longer than 3 days to get
yourself into the Levure groove, IMHO.  It's well worth it, but you can't
just jump in and be off and going.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand the problem. It looks as if I might have a short window of
> around 3 days where I could see if I could get Levure to work for me. If
> (and it is only an if)  I manage this, I will try to write it up.
>
> Graham
>
> > On 19 Feb 2018, at 16:45, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Usually it is just a matter of someone  asking the right question. It is
> > easier to respond to a question then to set aside time to consider all of
> > the questions people may be having and try to proactively create docs.
> > Unfortunately my time for extracurricular projects has been very limited
> as
> > of late.
> >
> > —
> > Trevor DeVore
> > ScreenSteps
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:37 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Then you have to throw these things out more often so the
> bread-and-butter
> >> cult can do your bidding, my crusty master

> >> --
> >> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> >> On the second day, God created the oceans.
> >> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
> >>   and did a little diving.
> >> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Ha, that was my instinct really. I very much admire Trevor’s work, but I do think there’s quite a change of mindset involved, and from the very limited stuff I’ve seen, not very much step-by-step instructions on how to do things. Nowadays I really want to stick to the “everyone an code” ethos, although in the past I was happy with any amount of technical tweaking.

I will go around the houses once again to try to do app updating simply from within LC scripts. I do have a fair notion about what do do.

I don’t know what I’ll do about Levure in the future. Perhaps I should just admit defeat.

Cheers

Graham

(My mood is influenced no doubt by hideously wet and cold weather in the South of France… will I ever get back on my bike?)

> On 19 Feb 2018, at 21:34, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I wouldn't do it if you only have 3 days.  I'd spend the effort on other
> parts of your project instead.  It will take longer than 3 days to get
> yourself into the Levure groove, IMHO.  It's well worth it, but you can't
> just jump in and be off and going.
>
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 2:51 PM, Graham Samuel via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I understand the problem. It looks as if I might have a short window of
>> around 3 days where I could see if I could get Levure to work for me. If
>> (and it is only an if)  I manage this, I will try to write it up.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>>> On 19 Feb 2018, at 16:45, Trevor DeVore via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Usually it is just a matter of someone  asking the right question. It is
>>> easier to respond to a question then to set aside time to consider all of
>>> the questions people may be having and try to proactively create docs.
>>> Unfortunately my time for extracurricular projects has been very limited
>> as
>>> of late.
>>>
>>> —
>>> Trevor DeVore
>>> ScreenSteps

>> bread-and-butter

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: Levure update 0.9.5

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I wouldn't give up on it.  Levure is a really important development in the
LC universe, and one that is worth integrating into your work in the medium
term, but it is definitely a more advanced tool, like carbon frames and
high-pressure tires.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."