Linux installation

Richard Gaskin
I'd like to make an installer for Linux versions of my app which handles
the basics:

- Puts the application in its own folder
- Puts a shortcut to the app in the Start menu
- Assigns appropriate file types to the app
- Assigns icons for the app and its documents

When I went fishing for this info a couple years ago, it seemed each
desktop manager had their own way of doing these things, with little if
any consistency between them.

What's involved in making one installer file that works with most common
Linux distros today?

This installer will be made with Rev, so as much as I appreciate any
tips about third-party installers it's essential to my workflow that I
roll my own (I have an end-to-end automated build system).

TIA -

  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: Linux installation

Garrett Hylltun-2
Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I'd like to make an installer for Linux versions of my app which handles
> the basics:
>
> - Puts the application in its own folder
> - Puts a shortcut to the app in the Start menu
> - Assigns appropriate file types to the app
> - Assigns icons for the app and its documents
>
> When I went fishing for this info a couple years ago, it seemed each
> desktop manager had their own way of doing these things, with little if
> any consistency between them.
>
> What's involved in making one installer file that works with most common
> Linux distros today?
>
> This installer will be made with Rev, so as much as I appreciate any
> tips about third-party installers it's essential to my workflow that I
> roll my own (I have an end-to-end automated build system).

The location of your app can be /usr/bin or usr/home/username/yourapp
Of course /usr/bin will require password to be able to be installed.
Sudo or su will get you through that (ask the user for the password in
advance.)

Their menu specs are here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmenu_2dspec

For more specs linux related:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards

Here are some locations found for shortcuts on linux:

/usr/share/applications
/usr/share/applications/kde
/usr/share/gnome/apps  <- some sub dirs with shortcuts
/usr/lib/menu <- text config files for shortcuts
/usr/share/menu  <- text config files for shortcuts
/etc/menu

Setting up a menu entry is still iffy if you ask me, but if you stick
with the freedesktop specs, you're more likely to have a working menu
entry since most distro's are adopting it.  Otherwise, as you already
know, there's a mess when it comes to the shortcuts.

Gnome used it's own location, KDE another, and all the other WM's
probably have their own location also.  :-(

For file types, I don't remember at the moment.

I don't believe there is a way to actually assign an icon to an
executable in any of the window managers.  At least I didn't see of any
way under KDE or Gnome, just the shortcuts and menu entries have the icons.

And I can't remember how to assign a specific icon to associated files
at the moment.  Been a while since I mucked around the innards of a
linux system.

Personally, I think the menu shortcuts are still the only major issue
you will run into.  And imo I'd setup shortcuts in the KDE, Gnome and
freedesktop locations to insure that you get most, if not all of the users.

The other issue might be, what the equivalents of sudo and su are on
other flavors of linux.  I know sudo and su are on debian, but not sure
about the others.

-Garrett

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Richard Gaskin wrote:

I'd like to make an installer for Linux versions of my app which handles
the basics:

- Puts the application in its own folder
- Puts a shortcut to the app in the Start menu
- Assigns appropriate file types to the app
- Assigns icons for the app and its documents

When I went fishing for this info a couple years ago, it seemed each
desktop manager had their own way of doing these things, with little if
any consistency between them.

What's involved in making one installer file that works with most common
Linux distros today?

This installer will be made with Rev, so as much as I appreciate any
tips about third-party installers it's essential to my workflow that I
roll my own (I have an end-to-end automated build system).

TIA -
Richard:

I'm not an expert on the subject (or any other for that matter), so
please take anything I say with a pinch of salt.

The question of program installation is really the weakest part of Linux
as it stands at the moment. Nor do I see the solution to this in the
very near future, on account of the different meanings of "installation"
  and the different characteristics of the Linuxes out there. At
present, what you are asking for is still a dream, at least in my
limited experience.

The easiest "solution" (which is not a solution really and certainly
does not attend any of the items you have listed above) is to put the
whole lot into a ZIP (or similarly compressed) file and to get the user
to download it directly to the desktop. Presumably, the user knows where
his desktop is, because if you ask this question in Transcript (sorry,
"Revolution") you won't get any kind of answer: as you know, the
function specialFolderPath for obtaining such system information, that
works on both Mac and Windows, has not been implemented in Rev for Linux.

In a better world, you should be able to put your excellent question to
the Rev engineers. Since I'm a naughty boy, I've CC'd this reply to Mark W.

Regards,
Bob

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Bob Warren wrote:

Presumably, the user knows where his desktop is, because if you ask this
question in Transcript (sorry, "Revolution") you won't get any kind of
answer: as you know, the function specialFolderPath for obtaining such
system information, that works on both Mac and Windows, has not been
implemented in Rev for Linux.

Richard:

Here is an interesting piece of information which may or may not have
some practical implications for you.

I have just investigated RealBasic's functions for obtaining fundamental
system information in Linux. I was using my free copy of RealBasic 2006
Release 2 for Linux on the Ubuntu pre-release "Dapper Drake" beta.

The following little routine correctly gave me the HD path to my desktop:

   Dim f As FolderItem
   f=DesktopFolder
   If f<>Nil then
     MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
   else
     MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
   end if

Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.

I haven't tried these other functions yet.

Regards,
Bob

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren wrote:

> Here is an interesting piece of information which may or may not have
> some practical implications for you.
>
> I have just investigated RealBasic's functions for obtaining fundamental
> system information in Linux. I was using my free copy of RealBasic 2006
> Release 2 for Linux on the Ubuntu pre-release "Dapper Drake" beta.
>
> The following little routine correctly gave me the HD path to my desktop:
>
>    Dim f As FolderItem
>    f=DesktopFolder
>    If f<>Nil then
>      MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
>    else
>      MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
>    end if
>
> Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
> PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
> TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.

Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?

I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

Not sure yet what I'll do about the Start menu shortcuts.

Sure would be nice if the project leaders for the various window
managers would get over themselves and work together on common methods
for common elements.  As long as every team feels their work is more
precious than any other all of them are collectively slowing adoption of
Linux, even as they may believe they're moving it forward.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Linux installation

mwieder
Richard-

Friday, May 26, 2006, 6:54:25 PM, you wrote:

> This installer will be made with Rev, so as much as I appreciate any
> tips about third-party installers it's essential to my workflow that I
> roll my own (I have an end-to-end automated build system).

apt or rpm target? If you're looking at a Debian-based core, look into

If you don't mind a not-made-in-rev linux solution, you might check
out

http://www.lokigames.com/development/setup.php3

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Richard Gaskin wrote:

Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?

I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

Richard:

I don't know of any shell calls that can be made through Linux, but they
must exist I imagine. Perhaps one of the Linux wizards out there can help.

As a 2nd class solution, I had the idea of getting these paths in an RB
  module which would push them out to a text file so that they could be
read in RR. The RR prog would then only have to shell the RB module and
wait for it to terminate. In principle it was easy, but I don't have any
practice in RB at all and I didn't manage to get the module to save the
text file!

So here's an appeal. If anyone reading this is familiar with RB, perhaps
they can tell me where I am going wrong. Here's the test routine for
saving a text file:

   Dim nameline as String
   Dim addressline as String
   Dim phoneline as String
   nameline = "bob"
   addressline = "leonor de barros"
   phoneline = "32332951"

   Dim file as FolderItem
   Dim fileStream as TextOutputStream
   file=GetSaveFolderItem(FileTypes1.Text, "text_saved_by_rb.txt")
   fileStream=file.CreateTextFile
   fileStream.WriteLine nameline
   fileStream.WriteLine addressline
   fileStream.WriteLine phoneline
   fileStream.Close

As per Help (as far as I can gather***), I have defined the FileTypes1
module in the IDE as:

Text application/text TEXT text .txt

[***Though what is mentioned in the Help is "TextTypes" and not
"FileTypes1" as appears for use in the IDE. If this is not an
inconsistency in the Help, then it is probably where I am going wrong,
and I need to learn how to define "TextTypes" more correctly.]

After getting the above working, I need to get it to save the system
paths mentioned in the last e-mail instead of the lines "nameline",
"addressline" and "phoneline". I also need to find out how to execute
this on prog startup (followed by an immediate quit) rather than putting
it into e.g. a button's mouseUp handler.

List moderators please note! I am simply trying to find a quick
workaround for what is currently lacking in the Rev for Linux system
info provided. I am NOT trying to discuss or promote RB! In fact, noting
the difficulty I had trying to save a simple text file in RB, I am not
all that impressed! Perhaps this kind of comparison between RB and RR is
not such a bad thing.

The routine from the previous e-mail:

   Dim f As FolderItem
   f=DesktopFolder
   If f<>Nil then
     MsgBox f.AbsolutePath
   else
     MsgBox "The folderItem does not exist"
   end if

Other available functions are ApplicationsSupportFolder, FontsFolder,
PreferencesFolder, StartupItemsFolder, SystemFolder, TemporaryFolder,
TrashFolder, SpecialFolder.

Re: Linux installation

Ken Ray
On 5/28/06 3:34 PM, "Bob Warren" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After getting the above working, I need to get it to save the system
> paths mentioned in the last e-mail instead of the lines "nameline",
> "addressline" and "phoneline". I also need to find out how to execute
> this on prog startup (followed by an immediate quit) rather than putting
> it into e.g. a button's mouseUp handler.

Here's the RB code to write the data to the text file:

  Dim dtFolder,aSupFolder,prefsFolder,outputFile as FolderItem
  Dim fileStream as TextOutputStream

  dtFolder=DesktopFolder
  aSupFolder = ApplicationSupportFolder
  prefsFolder = PreferencesFolder
  outputFile = GetSaveFolderItem(FileTypes1.Text,"text_saved_by_rb.txt")
  fileStream = outputFile.CreateTextFile
  fileStream.WriteLine dtFolder.AbsolutePath
  fileStream.WriteLine aSupFolder.AbsolutePath
  fileStream.WriteLine prefsFolder.AbsolutePath
  fileStream.Close

If you make this into an executable, you can run it with the launch command
(I believe) and then I'd insert a pause for 1/2 second or so, and then
verify the file is there and then read from it.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Linux installation

Ken Ray
>   dtFolder=DesktopFolder
>   aSupFolder = ApplicationSupportFolder
>   prefsFolder = PreferencesFolder

BTW, the RB Help has some clues as to where *it* thinks these folders
are/should be in Linux (substitute "folder path" wherever you see FolderItem
below):

DesktopFolder tries to return the desktop folder for the current user's
Window Manager. If there is a folder named "Desktop", it will return a
FolderItem to that. Otherwise, if there is a folder in the current user's
home directory named ".gnome-desktop", it will return a FolderItem to that.

ApplicationSupportFolder returns a FolderItem for the Home directory for the
logged in user, /home/username/. Typically, when an application wants to
create an application support file, it will create a folder in the Home
directory corresponding to the application's name. For example, for MyApp,
it will use the path: "/home/username/MyApp/".

PreferencesFolder returns a reference to the current user's Home directory,
/Home/username.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Linux installation

Rishi Viner
On Mon, 29 May 2006 06:34 am, Bob Warren wrote:

> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
> Thanks Bob.  While I'm sure RunRev will be interested in catching up
> with RB's well thought-out suite of folder paths, I'm not sure how long
> I can hold my breath waiting for Linux-related stuff in Bugzilla (I'm
> already in my 40s <g>) -- do you know of shell calls to get those paths?
>
> I don't need system or some of the others, just DesktopFolder,
> PreferencesFolder, and maybe ApplicationsSupportFolder.

> Richard:
>
> I don't know of any shell calls that can be made through Linux, but they
> must exist I imagine. Perhaps one of the Linux wizards out there can help.

"~" will find the users home folder. For example making a directory like this:
"mkdir ~/MyApp" will make the folder "/home/<username>/MyApp".

So to place something on the users desktop, you would put it in "~/Desktop/"
(note case sensitive!). This is the same on every Linux distro that I use
(RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo).

User specific preferences for an application would usually go in "~/.MyApp",
which may be a file or a folder... Global preferences would go in the
application folder, but I'm not sure if you will always have permissions to
write to this? Not sure here.

HTH

--
Rishi Viner

Re: Linux installation

Rishi Viner
On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:16 am, Garrett Hylltun wrote:
> The other issue might be, what the equivalents of sudo and su are on
> other flavors of linux.  I know sudo and su are on debian, but not sure
> about the others.

All Linux flavors should have su! They will also all have sudo if it is
installed (it is an application on its own). If sudo is not there it would be
unusual and certainly very easy for the user to install, as long as they have
the root password etc to set it up.

--
Rishi Viner

Re: Linux installation

J. Landman Gay
Ken Ray wrote:

>>   dtFolder=DesktopFolder
>>   aSupFolder = ApplicationSupportFolder
>>   prefsFolder = PreferencesFolder
>
> BTW, the RB Help has some clues as to where *it* thinks these folders
> are/should be in Linux (substitute "folder path" wherever you see FolderItem
> below):
>
> DesktopFolder tries to return the desktop folder for the current user's
> Window Manager. If there is a folder named "Desktop", it will return a
> FolderItem to that. Otherwise, if there is a folder in the current user's
> home directory named ".gnome-desktop", it will return a FolderItem to that.
>
> ApplicationSupportFolder returns a FolderItem for the Home directory for the
> logged in user, /home/username/. Typically, when an application wants to
> create an application support file, it will create a folder in the Home
> directory corresponding to the application's name. For example, for MyApp,
> it will use the path: "/home/username/MyApp/".
>
> PreferencesFolder returns a reference to the current user's Home directory,
> /Home/username.

I know almost nothing about the 'nixes, but it seems to me that a script
could calculate most of these using the globals that are automatically
loaded when Rev starts up. All (or many? Not sure) of the standards are
there and can be used in any script; i.e., $USR, $HOME, $PATH, etc.
Maybe these can be used to calculate the necessary paths?

For example: $USER/Desktop/
Or: $HOME/.MyApp/

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
OK Richard, I think I might have just about cracked it. If you navigate
to http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/sysinfo/ you can download
get_sys_info_linux.zip .

Inside, you will find a Linux executable to get system info as detailed
below. For some reason that I haven't worked out yet though, changing
the file name, up/downloading it over the Internet, or simply extracting
the program from the ZIP file nullifies its executable status. So when
you extract it, look at the file's properties (right click of the mouse)
and GIVE IT EXECUTABLE STATUS.

Here is my first (and possibly last) routine in RB for creating the module:

   Dim g As FolderItem
   Dim h As string
   Dim f As FolderItem
   Dim t as TextOutputStream

   f = GetFolderItem("sys_info.txt")
   t = f.CreateTextFile

   g=DesktopFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=ApplicationsSupportFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=FontsFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=PreferencesFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=StartupItemsFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=SystemFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=TemporaryFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   g=TrashFolder
   h=g.AbsolutePath
   t.Write h
   t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   //g=SpecialFolder
   //h=g.AbsolutePath
   //t.Write h
   //t.Write Chr(13) + Chr(10)

   t.close
   Quit

------------------
As you can see, the output is to the file "sys_info.txt". The items
commented out are the ones which did not work under Linux. So what we
have in "sys_info.txt" are the paths in the order above, ignoring the
commented ones. On my computer (Ubuntu), this gives:

/home/bob/Desktop/ (DesktopFolder)
/home/bob/ (PreferencesFolder)
/usr/ (SystemFolder)
/tmp/ (TemporaryFolder)
/home/bob/.Trash/ (TrashFolder)

------------------
In RR, you can now do a "shell and wait end" on the get_sys_info_linux
module.

One little detail that I might have to clear up eventually is that the
RB coding was put into the window's "Activate" handler, but I found that
if I made the window invisible, this handler would not be actioned. So I
kept it visible and reduced the window's dimensions to 1x1 pixels, but
it doesn't help very much because there must be a default minimum size
that is independent of what I specified in the program, and in fact you
can actually see a very quick flash of a window which is certainly
bigger than 1x1 pixels.

That's the best I can do at the moment, I'm afraid. Hope it helps.
Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Bob

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Just a little bit of follow-up on the use of the executable module
"get_sys_info_linux". I have a Live CD (where you don't have to install
anything on the HD) for the Brazilian Kurumin Linux (KDE). So I loaded
it up and ran "get_sys_info_linux". This was the result in "sys_info.txt":

/home/kurumin/Desktop/
/home/kurumin/
/usr/
/tmp/

("Kurumin" is not only the name of the distro, but also the default user
name.)

As you can see, the last parameter (TrashFolder) did not appear, and in
fact the program module did not close as a result.

Richard (and others): Please let me know if this module is of any real
use to you. If so, I will try to improve my RB project to include error
handling, OK? But not tonight, Josephine!

Regards,
Bob

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Bob Warren wrote:

Richard (and others): Please let me know if this module is of any real
use to you. If so, I will try to improve my RB project to include error
handling, OK? But not tonight, Josephine!
----------------
Well, as usual Mr Ken Ray is all quiet there in the wings, and then BAM!
He comes up with a ready solution! Pity I didn't see it before working
out the problems I was having with my own routine, but never mind, it's
all good didactics. I also see that there are also other Linux wizards
out there, but normally they keep quiet. Am I the only one with a big mouth?

Regardless of Richard's need of the module I produced, I'll include the
error handling anyway just for good measure. But I have other stuff to
do today - tomorrow perhaps. I'll let you know when the hopefully more
reliable module is available.

Regards to all,
Bob

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

I know almost nothing about the 'nixes, but it seems to me that a script
could calculate most of these using the globals that are automatically
loaded when Rev starts up. All (or many? Not sure) of the standards are
there and can be used in any script; i.e., $USR, $HOME, $PATH, etc.
Maybe these can be used to calculate the necessary paths?

For example: $USER/Desktop/
Or: $HOME/.MyApp/

Here are the globals given by Rev under Ubuntu (Gnome) Linux:

$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-WiBK3s8pAR,guid=23217b440bef325962f5e40a61735d00
$DESKTOP_SESSION default
$DISPLAY :0.0
$GDM_XSERVER_LOCATION local
$GDMSESSION default
$GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID Default
$GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET /tmp/keyring-hjWXCj/socket
$GTK_RC_FILES /etc/gtk/gtkrc:/home/bob/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
$HOME /home/bob
$LANG en_AU.UTF-8
$LANGUAGE en_AU:en_US:en_GB:en
$LOGNAME bob
$PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
$PWD /home/bob
$SESSION_MANAGER local/bob-desktop:/tmp/.ICE-unix/4709
$SHELL /bin/bash
$SHLVL 0
$SSH_AGENT_PID 4751
$SSH_AUTH_SOCK /tmp/ssh-ThYkAa4709/agent.4709
$USER bob
$USERNAME bob

Obviously, $HOME, $USER and $USERNAME are useful since they give the
user's name. How much of the rest could be calculated under different
Linux distros is hard (for me) to say.
Rishi Viner wrote:

All Linux flavors should have su! They will also all have sudo if it is
installed (it is an application on its own). If sudo is not there it
would be unusual and certainly very easy for the user to install, as
long as they have the root password etc to set it up.
Yes, but in order to be able to automate sudo through Rev, you need to
able to find sudo in the file system in the first place. Also, to be
able to achieve certain things through sudo, the automation routine
would have to be in possession of the root password - hardly practical.

Is that right in your opinion, or have I missed the point here?

Bob

2.2 build on Linux?

wolfgang bereuter
Some times ago I did a build with rev 2.2 for OSX WIN and Linux
It runs fine on OSX and Win. Now I have checked it on Red Haet. It
starts correct to the Splash-screen (first card), but on click,
nothing happens, only the busy cursor appears.

Is that a problem of the old version 2.2?
Thanks for infos an advance...

regards
wolfgang bereuter
See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

traips! photolearning trainingsmaps
http://www.traips.org
http://www.internettrainer.com
Edelhofg. 17/11, A-1180 Wien, Austria
Tel: ++43/1/ 479 6410

Re: 2.2 build on Linux?

xtalkprogrammer
Hello Wolfgang,

I can't say anything about Red Hat specifically, but I made several
builds with Rev 2.2 for Linux and my standalones run fine. Maybe you
should post the script that should run after the "click"?

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 30-mei-2006, om 20:05 heeft Wolfgang Bereuter het volgende
geschreven:

> Some times ago I did a build with rev 2.2 for OSX WIN and Linux
> It runs fine on OSX and Win. Now I have checked it on Red Haet. It
> starts correct to the Splash-screen (first card), but on click,
> nothing happens, only the busy cursor appears.
>
> Is that a problem of the old version 2.2?
> Thanks for infos an advance...
>
> regards
> wolfgang bereuter

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Hi Rev folks!

With (more than) a little off-list help, I have managed to improve my
standalone module for discovering fundamental system path information in
Linux. You can download it here:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/sysinfo/get_sys_info_linux.zip

When extracting the program from the ZIP file, please note that you may
have to give it "executable" status by right-clicking the file and
changing the properties. This is a little problem I am still working on.

It is still a GUI version, but now it really is 100% invisible! As
before, the output file (sys_info.txt) contains the following paths, but
you will see that if a path is not available in a particular distro, it
is marked as such. Here's an example of what you get in Ubuntu
(Debian-based, Gnome):-

/home/bob/Desktop/            (DesktopFolder)
/home/bob/                (PreferencesFolder)
/usr/                    (SystemFolder)
/tmp/                    (TemporaryFolder)
/home/bob/                (ApplicationSupportFolder)
failed                    (FontsFolder)
failed                    (StartupItemsFolder)
/home/bob/.Trash/            (TrashFolder)

- and here's what you get in Kurumin (Debian-based, KDE):

/home/kurumin/Desktop/            (DesktopFolder)
/home/kurumin/                (PreferencesFolder)
/usr/                    (SystemFolder)
/tmp/                    (TemporaryFolder)
/home/kurumin/                (ApplicationSupportFolder)
failed                    (FontsFolder)
failed                    (StartupItemsFolder)
failed                    (TrashFolder)

[N.B. In the above, "kurumin" is also the default user name.]

This new version should not get hung up if a path is not available in
the distro. Regardless of the paths available, the module should always
quit after it has done its job.

For an example of how to shell this module (get_sys_info_linux) from
your Rev handler, please refer to the demo stack for my File/Picture
Chooser Widgets at:

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm

In addition, you would be advised to delete the file "sys_info.txt"
before calling the shell and also, after shelling, to set a timer on the
appearance of the "sys_info.txt" file so that if in fact it does not
appear for any reason, your Rev handler does not get stuck in an
infinite waiting loop. This is another aspect that requires a little
polishing.

There may be further improvements to this module, and it is possible
that the next version will be a lighter console (i.e. non-GUI) rendering.

I hope that this temporary workaround is of some use to you. Please let
me know if you have any observations.

Regards to all,
Bob Warren

Re: Linux installation

Bob Warren-3
Regarding the standalone module for discovering fundamental system path
information in Linux, which you can download here:-

http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/sysinfo/get_sys_info_linux.zip

- I am pleased to say that I have managed to cure the little problem
that made it necessary to give the prog "executable" status in its
properties. The program should now run directly after extracting it.

If any of you have non-Debian based Linuxes installed, would you mind
giving it a quick try? I would also be interested in knowing the
contents of the "sys_info.txt" output file under your different Linux
flavour.

Thanks!

Bob Warren