Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi friends,

with "Litte Arrows" when you click the LOWER arrow,
the "scrollbarLineInc" is sent.

When you click the UPPER arrow, then the "scrollbarLineDec"
message is sent.

Does not seem logical to me. Shouldn't that be vice versa?

Any insight appreciated, thank you!

Best

Klaus
--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I am not using the same version as you so I cannot see
the arrows but when I consider a text field with a lower
and upper arrow my first though is if I click the lower
arrow it will increment the lines in the text field and if
I click the upper arrow it will decrement the lines in the
text field.

Like I said I cannot see your arrows so this logic may
be illogical in the situation you are using.

JB

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 11:35 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi friends,
>
> with "Litte Arrows" when you click the LOWER arrow,
> the "scrollbarLineInc" is sent.
>
> When you click the UPPER arrow, then the "scrollbarLineDec"
> message is sent.
>
> Does not seem logical to me. Shouldn't that be vice versa?
>
> Any insight appreciated, thank you!
>

> Best
>
> Klaus
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi JB,

> Am 10.01.2020 um 20:39 schrieb JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I am not using the same version as you so I cannot see
> the arrows

???

This has been the case since version 1!

> but when I consider a text field with a lower
> and upper arrow my first though is if I click the lower
> arrow it will increment the lines in the text field and if
> I click the upper arrow it will decrement the lines in the
> text field.

Check the Inspector of any scrollbar to see a working example
of what I mean.

> Like I said I cannot see your arrows so this logic may
> be illogical in the situation you are using.
>
> JB

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Klaus,

I just checked the little arrow scrollbar in version 4.6.  If I add a
field and then I add a little arrow scrollbar on the right side to
advance through the text then my first thought is to click on the
lower arrow to advance the lines of text and the upper arrow to
move the lines of text towards line one.

I must be confused on what you are saying so if it is not the
same for you just ignore my response.  Sorry about that.

JB

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi JB,
>
>> Am 10.01.2020 um 20:39 schrieb JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I am not using the same version as you so I cannot see
>> the arrows
>
> ???
>
> This has been the case since version 1!
>
>> but when I consider a text field with a lower
>> and upper arrow my first though is if I click the lower
>> arrow it will increment the lines in the text field and if
>> I click the upper arrow it will decrement the lines in the
>> text field.
>
> Check the Inspector of any scrollbar to see a working example
> of what I mean.
>
>> Like I said I cannot see your arrows so this logic may
>> be illogical in the situation you are using.
>>
>> JB
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
If you click the upper, the line goes down, so it looks like you are going up. And vice versa. In that way it makes sense.

JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> schreef op 10 januari 2020 20:58:28 CET:

>Hi Klaus,
>
>I just checked the little arrow scrollbar in version 4.6.  If I add a
>field and then I add a little arrow scrollbar on the right side to
>advance through the text then my first thought is to click on the
>lower arrow to advance the lines of text and the upper arrow to
>move the lines of text towards line one.
>
>I must be confused on what you are saying so if it is not the
>same for you just ignore my response.  Sorry about that.
>
>JB
>

>> On Jan 10, 2020, at 11:47 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi JB,
>>
>>> Am 10.01.2020 um 20:39 schrieb JB via use-livecode
><[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> I am not using the same version as you so I cannot see
>>> the arrows
>>
>> ???
>>
>> This has been the case since version 1!
>>
>>> but when I consider a text field with a lower
>>> and upper arrow my first though is if I click the lower
>>> arrow it will increment the lines in the text field and if
>>> I click the upper arrow it will decrement the lines in the
>>> text field.
>>
>> Check the Inspector of any scrollbar to see a working example
>> of what I mean.
>>
>>> Like I said I cannot see your arrows so this logic may
>>> be illogical in the situation you are using.
>>>
>>> JB
>>
>> Best
>>
>> Klaus
>>
>> --
>> Klaus Major
>> https://www.major-k.de

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Android apparaat met K-9 Mail.

Re: Littel Arrows

On 1/10/20 1:47 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
> This has been the case since version 1!

Yes, back before Apple encouraged us to reverse the behavior to make
Macs act more like iPhones. And I think on Windows and Linux it still
acts as before.

Imagine a scrolling field with its scroll set to zero. Click underneath
the thumb, or if you're not on Mac, click the lower down arrow. The
field scrolls one increment (page or line) and now its scroll is no
longer zero, it has incremented by one lineheight or pageheight.

Click the top arrow, or click above the thumb, and the field scroll
decrements back to zero.

When Apple decided to make us use fields like mobile apps do, the
behavior reversed. I never did get used to that so I've kept my Mac
scrollers the old way.

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi all,

> Am 10.01.2020 um 21:08 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 1/10/20 1:47 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> This has been the case since version 1!
>
> Yes, back before Apple encouraged us to reverse the behavior to make Macs act more like iPhones. And I think on Windows and Linux it still acts as before.
>
> Imagine a scrolling field with its scroll set to zero. Click underneath the thumb, or if you're not on Mac, click the lower down arrow. The field scrolls one increment (page or line) and now its scroll is no longer zero, it has incremented by one lineheight or pageheight.
>
> Click the top arrow, or click above the thumb, and the field scroll decrements back to zero.
>
> When Apple decided to make us use fields like mobile apps do, the behavior reversed. I never did get used to that so I've kept my Mac scrollers the old way.

"Little Arrows" work differently than a "normal" scrollbar.
e.G. if you enter an ENDVALUE and STARVALUE in the inspector, the "littel Arrows"
object gets DISABLED and does not work anymore and the possible parameter
"pNewPosition" does not have any meaning with "Littel Arrows".

Therefore one need to set these values back to 0 and script something like
(for my ecamp0le to IN/DEcrease a field value by one):
on scrollbarLineInc
   if fld 2 > 1 then
     ## We canot go lower than 1
      subtract 1 from fld 2
   end if
end scrollbarLineInc

on scrollbarLineDec
   if fld 2 < 11 then
      ## We cannot go higher than 10
      add 1 to fld 2
   end if
end scrollbarLineDec
## See the "swapped" scripting, which is neccessary for my example.

> Jacqueline Landman Gay

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I’m with you on that one. Apple calls the new way “Natural” (!). Not to me after 35 years of the old way.
.Jerry

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> When Apple decided to make us use fields like mobile apps do, the behavior reversed. I never did get used to that so I've kept my Mac scrollers the old way.

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Is the logic that if I touched on a line in a field and moved
that line up the lines would increment but if I clicked on
the upper arrow the lines would decrement?  If so then
the logic seems okay to me.

I do not have a mobile device so my thinking could be
completely wrong.

JB

> On Jan 10, 2020, at 12:40 PM, Jerry Jensen via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m with you on that one. Apple calls the new way “Natural” (!). Not to me after 35 years of the old way.
> .Jerry
>
>> On Jan 10, 2020, at 12:08 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> When Apple decided to make us use fields like mobile apps do, the behavior reversed. I never did get used to that so I've kept my Mac scrollers the old way.

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi JB,

> Am 10.01.2020 um 21:56 schrieb JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Is the logic that if I touched on a line in a field and moved
> that line up the lines would increment but if I clicked on
> the upper arrow the lines would decrement?  If so then
> the logic seems okay to me.
>
> I do not have a mobile device so my thinking could be
> completely wrong.

I also do not have any mobile devide, no cellphone or tablet, so no
idea how that is supposed to work there.

But since "Little Arrows" is just a variant of the "scrollbar" object, maybe
that is in fact "correct" (for a SCROLLBAR) behavior.

> JB

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Littel Arrows

On 1/10/20 12:18 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> "Little Arrows" work differently than a "normal" scrollbar.
> e.G. if you enter an ENDVALUE and STARVALUE in the inspector, the "littel Arrows"
> object gets DISABLED and does not work anymore and the possible parameter
> "pNewPosition" does not have any meaning with "Littel Arrows".

You really wanna get confused, try using the little arrows in the
property inspector to adjust the location or dimensions of a control.

Re: Littel Arrows

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
The disconnect is that on a mobile you touch the content and move it directly.  If you grab the scroll bar and drag it, the content moves the opposite direction.  On a computer’s touch device/scroll wheel, natural scrolling moves the content like mobile (think two finger swipe).  The old way it would move the scroll bar and be “backwards”.

Thanks,
Brian
On Jan 10, 2020, 4:03 PM -0500, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hi JB,
>
> > Am 10.01.2020 um 21:56 schrieb JB via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Is the logic that if I touched on a line in a field and moved
> > that line up the lines would increment but if I clicked on
> > the upper arrow the lines would decrement? If so then
> > the logic seems okay to me.
> >
> > I do not have a mobile device so my thinking could be
> > completely wrong.
>
> I also do not have any mobile devide, no cellphone or tablet, so no
> idea how that is supposed to work there.
>
> But since "Little Arrows" is just a variant of the "scrollbar" object, maybe
> that is in fact "correct" (for a SCROLLBAR) behavior.
>
> > JB
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

NavBar Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I made 4 changes to the navbar widget.

1) The hiliteditem can be set to zero so no item is hilited
2) The default is no item hilited (hiliteditem = 0)
3) The inspector allows you to decrement the select item index to zero.
4) If the label of an item is a single space then the icon is centered vertically. I will see how to add this feature more elegantly as a property.

If you need any of these features the link to the lcb file is here ==> https://www.dropbox.com/s/3emxyjx487xp9j2/navbar.lcb?dl=0

Now I have to figure out how to change the docs and submit a pull request.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: Littel Arrows

On 1/10/20 2:18 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> "Little Arrows" work differently than a "normal" scrollbar.
> e.G. if you enter an ENDVALUE and STARVALUE in the inspector, the "littel Arrows"
> object gets DISABLED and does not work anymore and the possible parameter
> "pNewPosition" does not have any meaning with "Littel Arrows".

I noticed that too, it seems to be a bug. If you use the little arrows
(heh) in the Inspector then the values stick.

I tried scripting the math to reverse the behavior so that the arrows
didn't go "backwards" but wasn't able to wrap my head around it. So I
looked at LC's object library to see how they did it, and they're using
the same method you used in your forum reply -- they just add or
subtract 1 from a field.

Re: NavBar Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Item 1 is already submitted as a PR.
I would avoid changing default behavior in the actual product though.

Thanks,
Brian