Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

Skip Kimpel
Anybody have experience with S3 buckets and Livecode?  The LibS3.rev that
exists out there seems to be dated and has issues connecting.

AND it has to run within an Windows standalone.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

SKIP

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

Stephen Barncard-4
This was the one written by the 'late' Mark Smith, the bass player, right?

Yes that code is probably 10 years old.
but all his stuff was creative and useful Runrev programming.
He worked in areas not deemed typical for a 'scripting language'.

His code inspired me to mess around extracting and modifying audio files
using Runrev---->LC.
sqb

Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM, Skip Kimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody have experience with S3 buckets and Livecode?  The LibS3.rev that
> exists out there seems to be dated and has issues connecting.
>
> AND it has to run within an Windows standalone.
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> SKIP

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

J. Landman Gay
On 5/20/2016 4:17 PM, Skip Kimpel wrote:
> Anybody have experience with S3 buckets and Livecode?  The LibS3.rev that
> exists out there seems to be dated and has issues connecting.
>
> AND it has to run within an Windows standalone.
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I've done some things with it. What do you need to do? I wrote a handler
to create the required signed URL, which gets sent to a Rails script on
AWS. The handler requires the libHash-HMAC library which is freely
available.

It wasn't easy and it took a week but it's been working for a couple of
years now. I don't know much about the server side though, someone else
handles that part.

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

Skip Kimpel
I am looking to be able to view a file listing of a "bucked" and to be able to download that files.  Would love to be able to upload to that bucket as well but that would be second prize at this point.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

SKIP

> On May 21, 2016, at 1:59 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 5/20/2016 4:17 PM, Skip Kimpel wrote:
>> Anybody have experience with S3 buckets and Livecode?  The LibS3.rev that
>> exists out there seems to be dated and has issues connecting.
>>
>> AND it has to run within an Windows standalone.
>>
>> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> I've done some things with it. What do you need to do? I wrote a handler to create the required signed URL, which gets sent to a Rails script on AWS. The handler requires the libHash-HMAC library which is freely available.
>
> It wasn't easy and it took a week but it's been working for a couple of years now. I don't know much about the server side though, someone else handles that part.

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

J. Landman Gay
I'm not sure I can help much with that. In my project, the AWS server
has a cron job that creates signed URLs for each file every hour
(because our URLs have an expiration time) and puts them into a text
file. My app retrieves that file, which is just a return-delimited list
of URLs, and when it needs to download one it just uses "get URL
<signedURL>" and it works.

All uploads are done by the administrator via the web interface. LC
isn't involved with that.

If I remember right, signed URLs aren't strictly required; we're using
them for security purposes but I believe you can just treat the
server/buckets like any other web server. I'm afraid I don't know how to
get a list of files; a Rails script collects those for our project.

There's an awful lot of documentation on Amazon, though it's confusing.
It took our Rails person some time to understand it all, and I took the
lazy way out and just let her do it, since most of it applied to the
server end of things. Then we worked together to figure out how to sign
the URLs in both languages.

On 5/21/2016 7:18 AM, Skip Kimpel wrote:

> I am looking to be able to view a file listing of a "bucked" and to
> be able to download that files.  Would love to be able to upload to
> that bucket as well but that would be second prize at this point.
>
> Thanks for any input you can provide!
>
> SKIP
>
>> On May 21, 2016, at 1:59 AM, J. Landman Gay
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 5/20/2016 4:17 PM, Skip Kimpel wrote: Anybody have experience
>>> with S3 buckets and Livecode?  The LibS3.rev that exists out
>>> there seems to be dated and has issues connecting.
>>>
>>> AND it has to run within an Windows standalone.
>>>
>>> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>>
>> I've done some things with it. What do you need to do? I wrote a
>> handler to create the required signed URL, which gets sent to a
>> Rails script on AWS. The handler requires the libHash-HMAC library
>> which is freely available.
>>
>> It wasn't easy and it took a week but it's been working for a
>> couple of years now. I don't know much about the server side
>> though, someone else handles that part.
>>
>> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

J. Landman Gay
BTW, I misspoke when I said the Rails script returns the files. It just
creates the list of URLs and then LC is able to download them directly.

On 5/21/2016 1:59 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I'm not sure I can help much with that. In my project, the AWS server
> has a cron job that creates signed URLs for each file every hour
> (because our URLs have an expiration time) and puts them into a text
> file. My app retrieves that file, which is just a return-delimited list
> of URLs, and when it needs to download one it just uses "get URL
> <signedURL>" and it works.
>
> All uploads are done by the administrator via the web interface. LC
> isn't involved with that.
>
> If I remember right, signed URLs aren't strictly required; we're using
> them for security purposes but I believe you can just treat the
> server/buckets like any other web server. I'm afraid I don't know how to
> get a list of files; a Rails script collects those for our project.
>
> There's an awful lot of documentation on Amazon, though it's confusing.
> It took our Rails person some time to understand it all, and I took the
> lazy way out and just let her do it, since most of it applied to the
> server end of things. Then we worked together to figure out how to sign
> the URLs in both languages.
>
> On 5/21/2016 7:18 AM, Skip Kimpel wrote:
>> I am looking to be able to view a file listing of a "bucked" and to
>> be able to download that files.  Would love to be able to upload to
>> that bucket as well but that would be second prize at this point.
>>
>> Thanks for any input you can provide!
>>
>> SKIP

>>> I've done some things with it. What do you need to do? I wrote a
>>> handler to create the required signed URL, which gets sent to a
>>> Rails script on AWS. The handler requires the libHash-HMAC library
>>> which is freely available.
>>>
>>> It wasn't easy and it took a week but it's been working for a
>>> couple of years now. I don't know much about the server side
>>> though, someone else handles that part.
>>>
>>> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Livcode and AWS S3 (Windows)

Dave Kilroy
Hi Skip - I've also 'consumed' AWS services - but as the 'mobile guy' brought in by the main contractor - they and I worked out a little API so that all my iOS app I had to do were simple post and get using an xml structure to get and receive what was required at each stage. Whilst developing this app they were completely in charge of the web service - so if you are wanting to get directory listings etc I think it will be something you'll have to ask the people running code on the server for...
Peter M. Brigham