Live Code crashes on startup

Pi Digital via use-livecode
One of my students has a problem with LiveCode crashing on startup. He uses a machine running Windows, and I suspect there might be a corrupt preference file involved, as LiveCode dies right after it has loaded the preferences. Since I have no experience in using LiveCode on Windows, I have not been able to locate the preference file. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Best regards
Tore Nilsen

Re: Live Code crashes on startup

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hello Tore,

On Windows the preferences are stored in:

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\RunRev\*

Here you can find one or two files:

livecode7.rev --> Preferences for LiveCode versions 7, 8 and 9
livecode.rev --> Preferences for LiveCode versions < 7

I suggest:

1. Quit LiveCode
2. Delete/rename both of these files. These files will be created/updated
every time you start/quit LiveCode.
3. Launch LiveCode

Hopefully the problem should be fixed now.

Best,
Panos
--

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of my students has a problem with LiveCode crashing on startup. He
> uses a machine running Windows, and I suspect there might be a corrupt
> preference file involved, as LiveCode dies right after it has loaded the
> preferences. Since I have no experience in using LiveCode on Windows, I
> have not been able to locate the preference file. Can anyone point me in
> the right direction?
>
> Best regards
> Tore Nilsen

Re: Live Code crashes on startup

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi ,

This also happened to us yesterday.
Fixed by deleting preference files.

Regards Camm

> On 29 Nov 2018, at 08:21, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Tore,
>
> On Windows the preferences are stored in:
>
> C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\RunRev\*
>
> Here you can find one or two files:
>
> livecode7.rev --> Preferences for LiveCode versions 7, 8 and 9
> livecode.rev --> Preferences for LiveCode versions < 7
>
> I suggest:
>
> 1. Quit LiveCode
> 2. Delete/rename both of these files. These files will be created/updated
> every time you start/quit LiveCode.
> 3. Launch LiveCode
>
> Hopefully the problem should be fixed now.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:02 AM Tore Nilsen via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> One of my students has a problem with LiveCode crashing on startup. He
>> uses a machine running Windows, and I suspect there might be a corrupt
>> preference file involved, as LiveCode dies right after it has loaded the
>> preferences. Since I have no experience in using LiveCode on Windows, I
>> have not been able to locate the preference file. Can anyone point me in
>> the right direction?
>>
>> Best regards
>> Tore Nilsen

Re: Live Code crashes on startup

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Camm!
Deleting the preference file worked here as well. We had a problem finding it as I use a Mac and neither I nor the student had any idea where to look for preference files on Windows. Panos advice helped us along.

Best regards
Tore