LiveCode 5.0 Released

Heather Laine
Dear List Folks,

I’m pleased to announce that LiveCode 5 has just been released.  Our
servers have been updated with the new product and it is available for
download from your accounts, if you have a valid 5.0 license. To log
in to your account go here:

http://www.runrev.com/store/account/products/

If you don't have an up to date 5.0 license, here's why you might want
to get one:

• Fastest Ever App Performance
     10X faster rendering performance than previous versions means
LiveCode built apps are faster and better than ever. Applications
already written in LiveCode can take advantage of the hardware
acceleration without rewriting your code.
• High-Performance Graphics Engine
     Make great games or smoother, slicker apps than ever before with
LiveCode 5.0. LiveCode now utilizes graphics hardware acceleration and
OpenGL, animated sprites, textures and scrolling backgrounds,
collision detection, vector graphics in popular formats, drop shadows,
transition effects, multi-channel audio and video to make your apps
stand out from the crowd.
• Support for iOS 5
     Up to the minute app development with support for iOS 5.
• In App Purchases
     Make more money with your apps – even free apps! In app
purchasing accounts for 72% of all revenue for the iPhone apps that
include it! Access this revenue now with LiveCode 5.0.
• Last but not least, we're giving away a free copy of the newly
optimized and excellent animationEngine with every LiveCode purchase
during October. This includes upgrades and platform addons as well as
new licenses.

Learn more here:

http://runrev.com/products/livecode/introducing-livecode-5-/

Upgrade options:

You can upgrade just one deployment option, or all deployment options,
from within your account.

For Commercial Customers:
For the first time ever we’re offering an excellent deal with this
upgrade to get a complete license. For the heavily discounted upgrade
price of only $749 yearly you can get access to every commercial
deployment option as well as the LiveCode developer program. Plus,
you’ll get the peace of mind that you’ll get every update and new
deployment option that we release during the year included in your
annual cost.

You can find more details in the ‘Upgrade to Complete’ tab in your
account:

http://www.runrev.com/store/account/products/

Visit our store here:

http://www.runrev.com/store/

We're really looking forward to see the killer apps you will make with
this new best ever version of LiveCode. Happy LiveCoding!

Warm Regards,

Heather

Heather Nagey
Customer Services Manager
http://www.runrev.com/
LiveCode - Unleash Your Killer App

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Roger Eller
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Heather Nagey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear List Folks,
>
> I’m pleased to announce that LiveCode 5 has just been released.  Our
> servers have been updated with the new product and it is available for
> download from your accounts, if you have a valid 5.0 license. To log in to
> your account go here:
>
> http://www.runrev.com/store/**account/products/<http://www.runrev.com/store/account/products/>

This looks like a bug.  When I install 5.0 on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, on the
license screen I click and choose the offline activation file I just
downloaded, then the license screen becomes frozen.  I have to kill the
process.

~Roger

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Heather,

Which are the vector graphics in popular formats?

Heather Nagey wrote
[snip]
• High-Performance Graphics Engine
     Make great games or smoother, slicker apps than ever before with
LiveCode 5.0. LiveCode now utilizes graphics hardware acceleration and
OpenGL, animated sprites, textures and scrolling backgrounds,
collision detection, vector graphics in popular formats, drop shadows,
transition effects, multi-channel audio and video to make your apps
stand out from the crowd.

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

tbodine
Yes, which vector formats are supported? SVG? SWF?
-- Tom Bodine

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/11/2011 01:58 PM, Heather Nagey wrote:
> Dear List Folks,
>
> I’m pleased to announce that LiveCode 5 has just been released.

Indeed; and many Hurrahs and congratulations.

BUT, Please, get someone who knows a spot of English Grammar to write your
LiveCodeNotes-5_0_0.pdf:

"For 5.0.0, the graphics architecture has underwent a significant
overhaul"  ;
'undergone' - Present Perfect always requires the present participle
after an auxiliary.

:The reason for this change is to allow the engine to use better/faster
methods of rendering
window content. In particular, it doesn't have to worry about using an
approach that will
allow it to fetch back window content at any point."

"it doesn't have to worry"; more a case of bad anthropomorphism than
grammar;
a computer, or a software engine, CANNOT worry.

"For both ordered and unordered list the marker is placed"

'An ordered', or, 'ordered or unordered lists the markers are placed'

Computers are coldly logical; the LiveCodeNotes are neither logical nor
cold; nor are they grammatical; and that needs seeing to.

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Colin Holgate-2
I think I has underwent a realization there: Richmond is a computer.

On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Computers are coldly logical;

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Jim Kanter
Or a Vulcan.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I has underwent a realization there: Richmond is a computer.
>

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 5:07 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> Computers are coldly logical;

User Preferences

Peter Bogdanoff

My project is a OSX/Windows program that is sold to college students via a (Kagi.com) shopping cart with a serial key generator linked to it. I want to strengthen the copy protection by limiting the user to one installation (things can't be passed on to other students).

I've tried using the machine name (gotten by the address function) and saving it in a custom property of the main stack. So when the stack is opened, the custom property is compared to the machine name. This works most of the time, but sometimes fails for a reason I've not been able to figure out. The two don't match when they should. So I'm needing another method.

I've never tried writing a preferences file. I see that I could use specialFolderPath and write a file. Can this file be made invisible?

Is this, in general, a good method to use for copy protection?

We plan ultimately to sell this kind of thing in China where file copying is rampant and want to prevent that somehow.

I purchased Zygodact but it doesn't seem to work for us as it generates its own keys...

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive.org

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Alejandro Tejada
Richmond is more than that.
He is a Scott! :-D

Jim Kanter wrote
Or a Vulcan.

> I think I has underwent a realization there: Richmond is a computer.

Re: User Preferences

Björnke von Gierke
To prevent copying, do not produce anything. It's the perfect counter measure!

Barring that, concentrate on ways to sell despite piracy, because you can't prevent it. For example, games increasingly have downloads that they sell as add-ons (downloadable content). That way they can sell things to pirates, and also check more often for serials validity.

--
Watch live presentations every Saturday:
http://livecode.tv

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/

Re: User Preferences

Main Google
Or use an online method? Will your app be used in settings where a internet connection can be assumed?

Gerry

--  photos: http://gerryorkin.com

On Wednesday, 12 October 2011 at 11:35 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> To prevent copying, do not produce anything. It's the perfect counter measure!

Re: User Preferences

Peter Bogdanoff
Yes, an internet connection is assumed because of streaming audio in the program.

But how do I identify the user's computer so that no one else can use a copy of the program & serial?

I don't see a MAC address property in LC; neither a date function that would tell me a fixed OS installation date. The machine name seems to  change. The IP address will vary. So a hidden prefs file seems the thing.

I don't know how to do that.

On Oct 11, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Gerry wrote:

> Or use an online method? Will your app be used in settings where a internet connection can be assumed?
>
> Gerry
>

> --  photos: http://gerryorkin.com
>
> On Wednesday, 12 October 2011 at 11:35 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
>
>> To prevent copying, do not produce anything. It's the perfect counter measure!

Re: User Preferences

kee nethery
The common way to do this is to do a simple GET to your server. Perhaps use the unlock code as part of the URL. For example:

http://gerryorkin.com/cgi-bin/<unlockcode>.txt

Log all the server connections. Once a day examine the log files to see if the same unlock code is coming from multiple IP addresses. If it is, that means that person has handed out their unlock code. If you see an unlock code that is rogue, create a text file and put it at that location on your server.

Set up your server to have a very simple short 404 message because most of your calls should get that (file not found). Make it very short and if your app receives that as a response, carry on.

Perhaps the first text file signals to those apps to report home more frequently than normal so that you can see how many simultaneous users you have. Once you know the code is stolen, change the file to a kill signal.

If your app receives a kill signal, perhaps have some message in multiple languages that lets them know that this software is just a trial version and the trial period is over. Let them know they can purchase the fully unlocked version at your web site and give them that URL.

The thing to do is to not do this check immediately when launched and to not display the message immediately after you receive it. Instead squirrel it away somewhere like in your prefs file and then later on, display it and delete the saved unlock code from the software.

My assumption with the above URL is that you are not going to have thousands of regcodes that you need to disable. If you think that might happen, take the first couple of characters and make them directories. For example, for a regcode of abcde12345 the URL might be

http://gerryorkin.com/cgi-bin/a/b/cde12345.txt

I understand that Apache doesn't like serving up files out of a directory with thousands of files. But odds are you will not have that many and one single directory should be enough.

If your app cannot connect to your server after some number of attempts over some number of days, perhaps put up a bogus error message and a URL that explains it (with the unlock code encoded in the URL). That will let you know whether the unlock code is out there in major use.

Finally, for each revision of your software, include some number of the unlock codes that if seen will cause the app to disable itself.

Kee Nethery

On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:

> Yes, an internet connection is assumed because of streaming audio in the program.
>
> But how do I identify the user's computer so that no one else can use a copy of the program & serial?
>
> I don't see a MAC address property in LC; neither a date function that would tell me a fixed OS installation date. The machine name seems to  change. The IP address will vary. So a hidden prefs file seems the thing.
>
> I don't know how to do that.
>
> On Oct 11, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Gerry wrote:
>
>> Or use an online method? Will your app be used in settings where a internet connection can be assumed?
>>
>> Gerry
>>

>> --  photos: http://gerryorkin.com
>>
>> On Wednesday, 12 October 2011 at 11:35 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:
>>
>>> To prevent copying, do not produce anything. It's the perfect counter measure!

Re: User Preferences

Main Google
My ISP gives out a new IP whenever I re-connect after e.g. a router restart. So that wouldn't work.

Gerry

Kee Nethery wrote:
> Log all the server connections. Once a day examine the log files to see if the same unlock code is coming from multiple IP addresses. If it is, that means that person has handed out their unlock code. If you see an unlock code that is rogue, create a text file and put it at that location on your server.

Re: User Preferences

Phil Davis-5
Thanks Kee! I love this list.
Phil Davis

On 10/11/11 9:16 PM, Kee Nethery wrote:

> [...]
>
> Finally, for each revision of your software, include some number of the unlock codes that if seen will cause the app to disable itself.
>
> Kee Nethery
>

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>
>> Yes, an internet connection is assumed because of streaming audio in the program.
>>
>> But how do I identify the user's computer so that no one else can use a copy of the program&  serial?
>>
>> I don't see a MAC address property in LC; neither a date function that would tell me a fixed OS installation date. The machine name seems to  change. The IP address will vary. So a hidden prefs file seems the thing.
>>
>> I don't know how to do that.
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 7:26 PM, Gerry wrote:
>>
>>> Or use an online method? Will your app be used in settings where a internet connection can be assumed?

PDS Labs
Professional Software Development
http://pdslabs.net

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Stephen Barncard-4
"Grammar Guy"

On 11 October 2011 17:06, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richmond is more than that.
> He is a Scott! :-D
>

> Jim Kanter wrote:
> >
> > Or a Vulcan.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Colin Holgate &lt;coiin@&gt; wrote:
> >> I think I has underwent a realization there: Richmond is a computer.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA

more about sqb  <http://www.google.com/profiles/sbarncar>

Re: User Preferences

scott@elementarysoftware.com
Yes, thank you Kee.  That was fun new ideas for me.

-Scott Morrow

On Oct 11, 2011, at 11:13 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Finally, for each revision of your software, include some number of the unlock codes that if seen will cause the app to disable itself.
>>
>> Kee Nethery
>>

>> On Oct 11, 2011, at 8:17 PM, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, an internet connection is assumed because of streaming audio in the program.
>>>
>>> But how do I identify the user's computer so that no one else can use a copy of the program&  serial?
>>>
>>> I don't see a MAC address property in LC; neither a date function that would tell me a fixed OS installation date. The machine name seems to  change. The IP address will vary. So a hidden prefs file seems the thing.

Re: LiveCode 5.0 Released

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 10/12/2011 10:40 AM, stephen barncard wrote:
> "Grammar Guy"

I take that as a compliment . . .  :)

Re: User Preferences

kee nethery

On Oct 11, 2011, at 10:59 PM, Gerry wrote:

> My ISP gives out a new IP whenever I re-connect after e.g. a router restart. So that wouldn't work.

Not sure what you are saying. Your computer when you use your software might have different IPs or your server is always moving around from IP to IP and no one can connect to it?

If you are saying that people have IP addresses that change, that is not a problem. The thing you are looking for is the same regcode coming from multiple IPs during the same day. If your software only connects once a day, and a reg code gets three hits in a day from different IPs, regardless what the IPs are, you probably have three users with the same IP. Then if that continues for a couple of days, flag that reg code and have those users software check in more frequently than once a day. Then. if during the intensive you get IP-a the IP-b then IP-c then IP-b then IP-a then IP-c etc for the same reg code within the same day, you absolutely have multiple users using one reg code.

Kee

> Gerry
>

> Kee Nethery wrote:
>> Log all the server connections. Once a day examine the log files to see if the same unlock code is coming from multiple IP addresses. If it is, that means that person has handed out their unlock code. If you see an unlock code that is rogue, create a text file and put it at that location on your server.

Re: User Preferences

Main Google
Just to clarify, I'm not the original poster on the thread :) My point was - if I am using this software and I have an unstable internet connection where my machine's IP could change during the day, it would report to the authentication server that the same reg code is coming from multiple IPs. But I can see how your escalating check on suspect reg codes could account for that :)

Gerry

--  photos: http://gerryorkin.com