LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Kenji Kojima
What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
Are there it in other languages?

There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
"A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
A single character is composed of one or more code points.”

Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
I think you can create Unicode ‘do’ as a single character and also write it as ‘to’ with a breathing combining mark.  The latter takes two codepoints but is one character.

I’ll run an experiment and see if what I’m saying is really true.

Dar

On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
> Are there it in other languages?
>
> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
I mean voicing.

On Apr 18, 2014, at 3:12 PM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think you can create Unicode ‘do’ as a single character and also write it as ‘to’ with a breathing combining mark.  The latter takes two codepoints but is one character.
>
> I’ll run an experiment and see if what I’m saying is really true.
>
> Dar
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
>> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
>> Are there it in other languages?
>>
>> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
>> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
>> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
>> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
Here is my experiment to look at characters that are multiple codepoints in Japanese.  (This experiment is limited to Katakana.)

(I don’t know Japanese, so I apologize for anything goofy.)

This shows the two-codepoint versions of ド as one character.

On my OS X system, the latter two did not render as one character in the message box, though.  I might be doing something wrong.  When I pasted the output string into mail, one of those combined but the second didn’t—maybe it is intended for use with half-width Katakana.

The output is this:

ト ド ド 1 ド 1

Dar

———
on mouseUp
   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 & tab & kdoAlt2N
end mouseUp
———

On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
> Are there it in other languages?
>
> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
Looking a little closer, I think daduken and handaduken are going to be the only combining marks you will see in Japanese.  The half-width versions are not called combining marks in the Unicode database, but they do count as part of the character to the left in LiveCode.

Would loan words include tone marks?  Then maybe tone marks might apply.  Also, general combining marks such as keycap might apply:  ト⃣

Oh, that looks ugly on my computer.

So, look at U+3099, U+309A, U+FF9E, and U+FF9F.

Dar

On Apr 18, 2014, at 3:47 PM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is my experiment to look at characters that are multiple codepoints in Japanese.  (This experiment is limited to Katakana.)
>
> (I don’t know Japanese, so I apologize for anything goofy.)
>
> This shows the two-codepoint versions of ド as one character.
>
> On my OS X system, the latter two did not render as one character in the message box, though.  I might be doing something wrong.  When I pasted the output string into mail, one of those combined but the second didn’t—maybe it is intended for use with half-width Katakana.
>
> The output is this:
>
> ト ド ド 1 ド 1
>
> Dar
>
> ———
> on mouseUp
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
>   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
>   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
>   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
>   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
>   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
>   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 & tab & kdoAlt2N
> end mouseUp
> ———
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
>> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
>> Are there it in other languages?
>>
>> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
>> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
>> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
>> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Alejandro Tejada
Dar Scott wrote
[snip]
   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 & tab & kdoAlt2N
[snip]
Does this means that the only way to write Japanese
in a field is using a script (or pasting the characters
from the clipboard)?

Al

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
Oh, no, not at all.  You can type in Japanese.  Well, I’m pretty sure.

My daughter does it all the time in other applications.  She types in romaji (western letters).  I think that gets combined to katakana (phonetic) and then she can choose one of may choices of Kanji (Chinese looking).  Something like that.

I don’t have a Japanese keyboard enabled on my computer, so I didn’t bother.

The reason for the script was to illustrate that the Katakana DO can be written as to basic symbols, the TO plus a voicing mark.  Notice the sounds are similar; one is unvoiced and one is voiced.  The TO and the voicing mark are two code points in LiveCode, but one character in LiveCode.  I wanted to make sure I got exactly those code points, so I could show that a string with two code points can contain one character.

Notice that in Unicode the combining mark comes after the character it combines with.

Now, I can type in Japanese in a crude way because I usually use the U+ keyboard on OS X.  I hold down option and type in the hex code.

So…   ト ド

That would not be the way for someone entering Japanese text to do it.  But, for a Unicode learner like me, it works.

Dar

On Apr 18, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dar Scott wrote
>> [snip]
>>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
>>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
>>   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
>>   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
>>   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
>>   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
>>   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
>>   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
>>   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 &
>> tab & kdoAlt2N
>> [snip]
>
> Does this means that the only way to write Japanese
> in a field is using a script (or pasting the characters
> from the clipboard)?
>
> Al

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
Al,

I just quickly added a Japanese keyboard option to my OS X keyboard menu.  I selected to Katakana keyboard and typed in DO in a LiveCode field.  It was one codepoint and one character.  I don’t know how to type the voicing mark separately.

Dar

On Apr 18, 2014, at 4:42 PM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, no, not at all.  You can type in Japanese.  Well, I’m pretty sure.
>
> My daughter does it all the time in other applications.  She types in romaji (western letters).  I think that gets combined to katakana (phonetic) and then she can choose one of may choices of Kanji (Chinese looking).  Something like that.
>
> I don’t have a Japanese keyboard enabled on my computer, so I didn’t bother.
>
> The reason for the script was to illustrate that the Katakana DO can be written as to basic symbols, the TO plus a voicing mark.  Notice the sounds are similar; one is unvoiced and one is voiced.  The TO and the voicing mark are two code points in LiveCode, but one character in LiveCode.  I wanted to make sure I got exactly those code points, so I could show that a string with two code points can contain one character.
>
> Notice that in Unicode the combining mark comes after the character it combines with.
>
> Now, I can type in Japanese in a crude way because I usually use the U+ keyboard on OS X.  I hold down option and type in the hex code.
>
> So…   ト ド
>
> That would not be the way for someone entering Japanese text to do it.  But, for a Unicode learner like me, it works.
>
> Dar
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 4:27 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dar Scott wrote
>>> [snip]
>>>  put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
>>>  put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
>>>  put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
>>>  put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
>>>  put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
>>>  put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
>>>  put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
>>>  put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
>>>  put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 &
>>> tab & kdoAlt2N
>>> [snip]
>>
>> Does this means that the only way to write Japanese
>> in a field is using a script (or pasting the characters
>> from the clipboard)?
>>
>> Al

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Alejandro Tejada
Dar Scott wrote
I just quickly added a Japanese keyboard option to my OS X keyboard menu.  I selected to Katakana keyboard and typed in DO in a LiveCode field.  It was one codepoint and one character.  I don’t know how to type the voicing mark separately.
Then, looks like Ubuntu is the only OS that do not
allows to type japanese in a LiveCode field.
(notice that other apps do not show this problem)

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/LiveCode-7-0-input-Japanese-text-on-Ubuntu-td4678310.html

Al

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
I’ll try not to snicker, since my next project might be on Ubuntu.

The good news is that the bug is listed as a bug and RunRev says they are looking into it.

Dar

On Apr 18, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dar Scott wrote
>> I just quickly added a Japanese keyboard option to my OS X keyboard menu.
>> I selected to Katakana keyboard and typed in DO in a LiveCode field.  It
>> was one codepoint and one character.  I don’t know how to type the voicing
>> mark separately.
>
> Then, looks like Ubuntu is the only OS that do not
> allows to type japanese in a LiveCode field.
> (notice that other apps do not show this problem)
>
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/LiveCode-7-0-input-Japanese-text-on-Ubuntu-td4678310.html
>
> Al

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Kenji Kojima
Dar,

I do not have enough time seeing the script in this weekend.
I will see well it next week.

Thanks anyway,
--
Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
http://www.kenjikojima.com/

On Apr 18, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is my experiment to look at characters that are multiple codepoints in Japanese.  (This experiment is limited to Katakana.)
>
> (I don’t know Japanese, so I apologize for anything goofy.)
>
> This shows the two-codepoint versions of ド as one character.
>
> On my OS X system, the latter two did not render as one character in the message box, though.  I might be doing something wrong.  When I pasted the output string into mail, one of those combined but the second didn’t—maybe it is intended for use with half-width Katakana.
>
> The output is this:
>
> ト ド ド 1 ド 1
>
> Dar
>
> ———
> on mouseUp
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
>   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
>   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
>   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
>   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
>   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
>   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 & tab & kdoAlt2N
> end mouseUp
> ———
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
>> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
>> Are there it in other languages?
>>
>> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
>> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
>> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
>> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Kenji Kojima
Dar,

I understood your script well. Thank you.
But I was wondering why we needed these Japanese characters.
We do not use these combined characters.

We use them in Japanese writing
        numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 )   — this is ト
        numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 )   — this is ド
        the num of codepoints of “ド”   — returns 1

But we do not use this character, and I do not know how I can type. I have to use LiveCode.
        numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) & numToCodepoint( 0x3099 )   — this is ド
        the num of codepoints of “ド”    — returns 2

I found the answer.

1) About 150 years ago. Many foreign words came into Japan.
        Japanese did not have phonetic characters RA or LA then
        some people started to write “ラ” as “RA” and “ラ゚” as “LA”
                numToCodepoint( 0x30E9 )    — this is ラ
                numToCodepoint( 0x30E9 ) & numToCodepoint( 0x309A)   — this is ラ゚
        But Japanese do not write differences between them anymore. Now only “ラ” is used.
        Contemporary Japanese do not care RA or LA.

2) イ゚ ロ゚ ニ゚ ト゚ チ゚ リ゚ ヌ゚ ル゚ ヲ゚ ワ゚ カ゚ ヨ゚ タ゚ レ゚ ソ゚ ツ゚  and more characters.
        They were used for a telegram code. Probably before the war.
        They are not used now.

Maybe there were some more other old usages.
--
Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
http://www.kenjikojima.com/

On Apr 18, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Dar Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is my experiment to look at characters that are multiple codepoints in Japanese.  (This experiment is limited to Katakana.)
>
> (I don’t know Japanese, so I apologize for anything goofy.)
>
> This shows the two-codepoint versions of ド as one character.
>
> On my OS X system, the latter two did not render as one character in the message box, though.  I might be doing something wrong.  When I pasted the output string into mail, one of those combined but the second didn’t—maybe it is intended for use with half-width Katakana.
>
> The output is this:
>
> ト ド ド 1 ド 1
>
> Dar
>
> ———
> on mouseUp
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C8 ) into kto
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x30C9 ) into kdo
>   put numToCodepoint( 0x3099 ) into kVoiceMark
>   put numToCodepoint( 0xFF9E ) into kHalfVoiceMark
>   put kto & kVoiceMark into kdoAlt1
>   put length(kdoAlt1) into kdoAlt1N
>   put kto & kHalfVoiceMark into kdoAlt2
>   put length(kdoAlt2) into kdoAlt2N
>   put kto & tab & kdo & tab & kdoAlt1 & tab & kdoAlt1N & tab & kdoAlt2 & tab & kdoAlt2N
> end mouseUp
> ———
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Kenji Kojima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the actual single unicode character which is composed of two or more code points?
>> I could not find it in Japanese characters. I could use same “char” and “code point” in Japanese.
>> Are there it in other languages?
>>
>> There is a comment of “codepoint" on the dictionary.
>> "A codepoint is an integer identifier associted witha a Unicode character.
>> A single character is composed of one or more code points.”
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kenji Kojima / 小島健治
>> http://www.kenjikojima.com/

Re: LiveCode 7 codepoint question

Dar Scott
So maybe you can be safe in assuming codepoint = char in Japanese?

I’m just guessing there might be an advantage to using codepoint or even codeunit for long documents depending on how the speed of dp3 looks.

Dar