LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Folks,
Is anyone running LS Server on CentOS 6?
I notice that only version 7 is officially supported and not being a Linux expert, I’d like to know if this server OS would need to be upgraded before attempting anything with LC server on it.
TIA
Keith

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Keith Clarke wrote:

 > Is anyone running LS Server on CentOS 6?
 > I notice that only version 7 is officially supported and not being a
 > Linux expert, I’d like to know if this server OS would need to be
 > upgraded before attempting anything with LC server on it.

"Officially Supported" only designates the distros the LC core dev team
is dedicated to testing on and maintaining for.  The others are
community supported, and since LC's requirements are so light it
generally works on most modern distros.

Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.

On 07/28/2018 05:39 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Is anyone running LS Server on CentOS 6?
> I notice that only version 7 is officially supported and not being a Linux expert, I’d like to know if this server OS would need to be upgraded before attempting anything with LC server on it.
> TIA
> Keith

The release notes say glibc 2.13 or later is needed to run LC 8 and 9 in
Linux. You can check the installed version in a shell locally, or using
ssh on a remote machine, with this command:

          ldd --version

The first line it returns tells you the version. On my desktop it
returns this, showing glibc is version 2.27:

ldd (GNU libc) 2.27
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
PURPOSE.
Written by Roland McGrath and Ulrich Drepper.

I have a CentOS 7 server running glibc 2.17 and LC server works there.
It looks like CentOS 6 ships with 2.12 which won't work.

Good luck!

Warren

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thanks Warren (& Richard) - this probably is the blocker, as this particular VPS is definitely running 2.12

Google suggests that I can’t (or at least shouldn't attempt to) upgrade CentOS 6 with a later glibc version, given its central role.

Apparently there are workarounds to install an additional, later version of glibc - as an option, alongside the OS version - in such a way that it gets called session by session, when needed (i.e. for LC Server use). However, after failing to complete a couple of these, it's clear but that this is way beyond my Linux chops to sort.

So, it looks like server migration / rebuild will need to be on the critical path or it’s a dead-end for experimenting with LC Server for this particular project.

Thanks
Keith

Keith Clarke wrote:

 > Thanks Warren (& Richard) - this probably is the blocker, as this
 > particular VPS is definitely running 2.12
 >
 > Google suggests that I can’t (or at least shouldn't attempt to)
 > upgrade CentOS 6 with a later glibc version, given its central role.
 >
 > Apparently there are workarounds to install an additional, later
 > version of glibc - as an option, alongside the OS version - in such a
 > way that it gets called session by session, when needed (i.e. for LC
 > Server use). However, after failing to complete a couple of these,
 > it's clear but that this is way beyond my Linux chops to sort.
 >
 > So, it looks like server migration / rebuild will need to be on the
 > critical path or it’s a dead-end for experimenting with LC Server for
 > this particular project.

First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much
time in the CentOS community):  Why does their package manager not
automatically keep system components current?

Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what
is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

> First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much time in the CentOS community):  Why does their package manager not automatically keep system components current?

CentOS 6 is not the latest version (and will be unsupported from 2020), so I guess there are dependencies that require moving to CentOS 7 for more recent components.

> Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?

Convenience - it just happens to be the OS of the VPS hosting a Wordpress website, with capacity & a wildcard SSL certificate on the domain, where I was thinking about using LC to add some web services in a subdomain.

Apparently the VPS can be destroyed and recreated on CentOS 7 but I have no confidence I can ensure any backup of the existing config & services will magically come back to life on CentOS 7 core seamlessly.

Best,
Keith

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Last migration that I had was pretty seamless. They migrated everything to a new VPS for me to check out before flipping the switch to migrate to the upgrade. May be worth checking out if they do the same sort of thing.

Thanks,
Brian
On Jul 30, 2018, 1:41 AM -0500, Keith Clarke via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> > First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much time in the CentOS community): Why does their package manager not automatically keep system components current?
>
> CentOS 6 is not the latest version (and will be unsupported from 2020), so I guess there are dependencies that require moving to CentOS 7 for more recent components.
>
> > Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?
>
> Convenience - it just happens to be the OS of the VPS hosting a Wordpress website, with capacity & a wildcard SSL certificate on the domain, where I was thinking about using LC to add some web services in a subdomain.
>
> Apparently the VPS can be destroyed and recreated on CentOS 7 but I have no confidence I can ensure any backup of the existing config & services will magically come back to life on CentOS 7 core seamlessly.
>
> Best,
> Keith

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Keith

I have been running LC server on CentOS 6 on a VPS for a few years now.  It
runs the api for a cloud based application I have.  I am not sure of the LC
version but  I am pretty sure it is 6.x...

I don't know the details of the set up at the moment but If you want I can
check into it further.

I am looking to upgrade to CentOS 7 and a more recent version of LC OS,
Hopefully LC9.  Haven't tried this out yet though.  On the todo list.

Martin

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thanks Martin (& Brian). It transpires that the VPS in question only has CentOS 6 OS option, even if recreated - so the OS is a given for the short term, pending replacement / upgrade discussions with the hosting provider, which are not my call.

One option to get underway might be to deploy an earlier version of LC Server that can both:
Run happily under Linux with GLIBC at 2.12
Use LC9-compatible stacks - so I can develop on my desktop and deploy.

I just hope these criteria aren’t mutually exclusive!

I’m not sure when stack change hit LC server or where to discover that.

Before I start working backwards through server downloads to read the release notes, could anyone please perhaps nominate a likely contender release to target first?

Thanks & regards,
Keith

Keith Clarke wrote:

 > Thanks Martin (& Brian). It transpires that the VPS in question only
 > has CentOS 6 OS option, even if recreated - so the OS is a given for
 > the short term, pending replacement / upgrade discussions with the
 > hosting provider, which are not my call.
 >
 > One option to get underway might be to deploy an earlier version of LC
 > Server that can both:
 > Run happily under Linux with GLIBC at 2.12
 > Use LC9-compatible stacks - so I can develop on my desktop and deploy.
 >
 > I just hope these criteria aren’t mutually exclusive!

Apparently glibc has a very conservative version numbering scheme -
v2.12 was from 2010:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Glibc%20Timeline

LC 9's native format is the same as with v8.1, so I checked the Release
Notes for that version and apparently it requires glibc 2.13 or later.

Oddly, looking back to LC v7.0 the glibc required versions were *higher*
than they are in later versions - from the v7 release notes:

   Requirements for 32-bit Intel/AMD:
       glibc 2.3.6 or later
   Requirements for 64-bit Intel/AMD:
       glibc 2.15 or later

Even odder is that support for the older 32-bit architecture requires a
much newer version (?).

In fact, I went back as far as LC v4.5 and found the glibc required
version listed as "glibc 2.3.2 or later".

This is confusing to me, so it seems we could benefit from some guidance
from Mark Waddingham or one of the Linux-savvy team members.

I wonder how difficult it would be to recompile LC 9.0.1 with glibc 2.12...

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
In addition to bug fixes, I found this in the release notes for glibc 2.13:

New optimized string functions for x86-64: strnlen (SSE2),
  strcasecmp (SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.2), strncasecmp (SSE2, SSSE3, SSE4.2)
  Implemented by Ulrich Drepper.

This is something that is probably beneficial to string functions in LC.
The ABI comparison that I found started with 2.13 so it doesn't show the
symbol changes from the previous version.

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 11:31 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith Clarke wrote:
>
> > Thanks Martin (& Brian). It transpires that the VPS in question only
> > has CentOS 6 OS option, even if recreated - so the OS is a given for
> > the short term, pending replacement / upgrade discussions with the
> > hosting provider, which are not my call.
> >
> > One option to get underway might be to deploy an earlier version of LC
> > Server that can both:
> > Run happily under Linux with GLIBC at 2.12
> > Use LC9-compatible stacks - so I can develop on my desktop and deploy.
> >
> > I just hope these criteria aren’t mutually exclusive!
>
> Apparently glibc has a very conservative version numbering scheme - v2.12
> was from 2010:
> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Glibc%20Timeline
>
> LC 9's native format is the same as with v8.1, so I checked the Release
> Notes for that version and apparently it requires glibc 2.13 or later.
>
> Oddly, looking back to LC v7.0 the glibc required versions were *higher*
> than they are in later versions - from the v7 release notes:
>
>   Requirements for 32-bit Intel/AMD:
>       glibc 2.3.6 or later
>   Requirements for 64-bit Intel/AMD:
>       glibc 2.15 or later
>
> Even odder is that support for the older 32-bit architecture requires a
> much newer version (?).
>
> In fact, I went back as far as LC v4.5 and found the glibc required
> version listed as "glibc 2.3.2 or later".
>
> This is confusing to me, so it seems we could benefit from some guidance
> from Mark Waddingham or one of the Linux-savvy team members.
>
> I wonder how difficult it would be to recompile LC 9.0.1 with glibc 2.12...
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: LiveCode Server on CentOS 6?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thanks Richard & Brian for digging into this.

Lacking the Linux knowledge I tried working backwards from LC Server 9.0, trying 8.0 and 7.14 with no joy (internal server 500 error codes) - though whether the issues are down to glibc version dependencies is beyond me.

Earlier versions have less/no documentation in the packages and seem to only have 32-bit downloads available, which could introduce other issues (as the server is running 64-bit CentOS 6).

I think it’s time to stop flogging this particular dead horse and find an alternative dev environment pending target VPS OS upgrade, but thanks to all for trying.

…and that opens another can of worms that may warrant another thread or two - apologies in advance! :-)

Regards,
Keith

On 08/01/2018 01:45 AM, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
>   whether the issues are down to glibc version dependencies is beyond me.

You can check this by running

     ldd [/path/to/livecode-server]

It will return a list that looks something like this (from my desktop
system):

         linux-vdso.so.1 (0x0000631efbacc000)
         libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0000631efb6a6000)
         libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0000631efb488000)
         libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
(0x0000631efb245000)
         libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x0000631efaf7c000)
         librt.so.1 => /usr/lib/librt.so.1 (0x0000631efad74000)
         libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x0000631efa9eb000)
         libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x0000631efa656000)
         libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x0000631efa43e000)
         libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x0000631efa082000)
         /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 => /usr/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
(0x0000631efb8aa000)
         libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0x0000631ef9e50000)
         libuuid.so.1 => /usr/lib/libuuid.so.1 (0x0000631ef9c49000)
         libbz2.so.1.0 => /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x0000631ef9a39000)
         libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16 (0x0000631ef9803000)
         libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x0000631ef95ec000)
         libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0x0000631ef9340000)
         libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x0000631ef9029000)
         libgraphite2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libgraphite2.so.3
(0x0000631ef8dfd000)
         libpcre.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0x0000631ef8b8b000)

Don't worry about the first line where there is no returned path. Some
systems may return those like this "linux-vdso.so.1 =>
(0x00007fff6ffff000)" with the memory location after a "=>". There may
be one or two of those. What's important is that if something is not
found or is found but in a mismatched version, you will see an explicit
message stating as much, like so:

libfontconfig.so.1 => not found

If you try running 64bit LC-server on a 32bit machine or 32bit Server on
a 64 bit machine without any of the 32 bit libs, you will probably see
the message that the file is not a dynamic executable.

Here's a little bit about ldd that you and others might find helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/find-shared-libraries-ldd-command-4017941

https://circleci.com/blog/tracking-dependencies-with-ldd/

On 07/29/2018 07:56 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much
> time in the CentOS community):  Why does their package manager not
> automatically keep system components current?
>
> Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what
> is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?

Richard,

The explanation that addresses your first question can be expressed in a
very long-winded manner but also boiled down to this: It's RHEL's
approach to enforcing stability. They and their clients are interested
in a system that gives them no bad surprises. This takes into account
the fact that many of those clients are using complicated proprietary
software for critical tasks; commercial software and/or software
developed in-house, which is expected to be fail-proof. There's is an
obviously ultra-conservative approach, but you can't deny they've been
successful at what they do :D CentOS naturally inherits the result of
this philosophy.

The perception of extreme stability, along with the fact that it's one
of only a very few OSs supported by cPanel, make CentOS very popular
among hosting companies. All versions of RHEL and CentOS are supported
for ten years which by design is to eliminate a disruption of services
caused by forced upgrades. This sometimes leads to hosting companies
running a version or two behind the latest, which can result in the
problem Keith is encountering.

Keith has admitted he doesn't have a lot of knowledge and skills in
Linux, so a managed VPS is a great solution for him. (I feel pretty much
in that same boat. There are probably a lot of people trying to manage
their own VPS who shouldn't be! Being well versed on maintaining a Linux
desktop does not begin to address the skills and knowledge a server
admin needs.) So, he's a little bit at the mercy of his hosting company.
Of course the market is open and it's relatively easy to switch hosts.
There are several distros that would qualify as reliable enough for
server usage including a few that aren't as widely available as the more
popular ones. Debian and Ubuntu are totally valid along with CentOS and
those are probably the most widely available in hosting packages.

Warren

  Warren Samples wrote:

> On 07/29/2018 07:56 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>> First question (an admittedly ignorant one, but I haven't spent much
>> time in the CentOS community):  Why does their package manager not
>> automatically keep system components current?
>>
>> Second question: If the first question cannot be resolved easily, what
>> is the advantage of CentOS for this project over Ubuntu or Debian?
>
> Richard,
>
> The explanation that addresses your first question can be expressed in a
> very long-winded manner but also boiled down to this: It's RHEL's
> approach to enforcing stability. They and their clients are interested
> in a system that gives them no bad surprises. This takes into account
> the fact that many of those clients are using complicated proprietary
> software for critical tasks; commercial software and/or software
> developed in-house, which is expected to be fail-proof. There's is an
> obviously ultra-conservative approach, but you can't deny they've been
> successful at what they do :D CentOS naturally inherits the result of
> this philosophy.

Ubuntu's LTS (Long Term Support) releases serve the same goal, with
similar methods:  patches are allowed, security patches can be
automated, but new features are held back until the next LTS release.

It's a tough call, though, with supplemental packages getting long in
the tooth.  In addition to the potential vulnerabilities, older packages
can introduce their own compatibility issues, as we've seen here.

I tend to stick with only LTS releases myself, so I appreciate the goals
with such things.

But unless one is managing a legacy system with known dependencies on
older packages, using a more recent version would seem a good fit, esp.
for non-experts, as it establishes a fresh baseline using the latest and
greatest.

I guess the missing piece of the puzzle here is why his VPS service
doesn't offer CentOS 7. But as you say: