LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
We have hot a wall because we have an API that is ONLY accessible via a
call to Socket.io server using Websockets.

Richard Gaskin, I remember you were looking into this last year, any
success from your research.

It seems the best way would be to open a web browser and code the
communications using Javascript, which would then all a LiveCode function
on the callback.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Much Thanks,

--Todd

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Todd,

Depending on what platforms you need to support, I have a socket external for LiveCode that includes the ability to use websockets.

Cheers,

Charles

> On 23 Nov 2018, at 4:09 pm, Todd Fabacher via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We have hot a wall because we have an API that is ONLY accessible via a
> call to Socket.io server using Websockets.
>
> Richard Gaskin, I remember you were looking into this last year, any
> success from your research.
>
> It seems the best way would be to open a web browser and code the
> communications using Javascript, which would then all a LiveCode function
> on the callback.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
>
> Much Thanks,
>
> --Todd

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Todd, this was posted here a little while ago..haven't tested it, but
apparently its websockets for livecode.  Let us know how it goes.

https://github.com/samansjukur/wslc

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:10 AM Charles Warwick via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Todd,
>
> Depending on what platforms you need to support, I have a socket external
> for LiveCode that includes the ability to use websockets.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles
>
> > On 23 Nov 2018, at 4:09 pm, Todd Fabacher via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We have hot a wall because we have an API that is ONLY accessible via a
> > call to Socket.io server using Websockets.
> >
> > Richard Gaskin, I remember you were looking into this last year, any
> > success from your research.
> >
> > It seems the best way would be to open a web browser and code the
> > communications using Javascript, which would then all a LiveCode function
> > on the callback.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
> >
> > Much Thanks,
> >
> > --Todd

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
ps > requires websocketd to go along with it.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:46 AM Tom Glod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Todd, this was posted here a little while ago..haven't tested it, but
> apparently its websockets for livecode.  Let us know how it goes.
>
> https://github.com/samansjukur/wslc
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 1:10 AM Charles Warwick via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Todd,
>>
>> Depending on what platforms you need to support, I have a socket external
>> for LiveCode that includes the ability to use websockets.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Charles
>>
>> > On 23 Nov 2018, at 4:09 pm, Todd Fabacher via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > We have hot a wall because we have an API that is ONLY accessible via a
>> > call to Socket.io server using Websockets.
>> >
>> > Richard Gaskin, I remember you were looking into this last year, any
>> > success from your research.
>> >
>> > It seems the best way would be to open a web browser and code the
>> > communications using Javascript, which would then all a LiveCode
>> function
>> > on the callback.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
>> >
>> > Much Thanks,
>> >
>> > --Todd

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Charles,

I would like to find out more about your socket external specifically for websockets. Can you point me to where I can find out about the socket external?

Thanks,
Bob Hall

> On Nov 23, 2018, at 1:10 AM, Charles Warwick via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Todd,
>
> Depending on what platforms you need to support, I have a socket external for LiveCode that includes the ability to use websockets.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Charles

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Thanks Charles for the reply. Hope all is going well with you. Where can I
test the WebSocket external? I will need it for iOS, Android, Mac, and
Windows. Can you email me directly as we are time sensitive on this please.

We have the server up and running. Socket.io is the BEST in the market and
can deal with 10,000+ simultaneous connections with Node.js as the server.

Also, thanks, Tom. I looked at this and what it does is create a bridge
between LC and a web browser JavaScript that you add to the form. This is a
GREAT workaround if we can find our own controller. I see they need some
more Javascript code to manage all the different callback and error
trapping functionality, but it is a workable solution we also had
considered. It is NOT as flexible as an external, but we will improve it to
make it work to keep it as a backup.

Thanks guys,

Todd Fabacher

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

The external is still in development, so I have not yet uploaded any information or documentation to the web.  I am happy to send you the latest beta version along with a few sample scripts if you are interested, just send me an e-mail directly.

Regards,

Charles

> On 25 Nov 2018, at 12:44 am, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Charles,
>
> I would like to find out more about your socket external specifically for websockets. Can you point me to where I can find out about the socket external?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Hall
>
>> On Nov 23, 2018, at 1:10 AM, Charles Warwick via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Todd,
>>
>> Depending on what platforms you need to support, I have a socket external for LiveCode that includes the ability to use websockets.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Charles

Re: LiveCode and Websockets

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Charles,

A WebSockets external would be very beneficial for everyone doing web
stuff from LC. I am looking forward to checking it out when it is
released. :-) Thanks a lot for working on this.

Cheers

andre