LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Todd Fabacher
Hello Educators,

Will Jamieson, and the DP teem are deep into creating an online and App
integrated LMS in LiveCode. We are at the stage of creating  a SCORM and
LIT interface to our App. I see that several people have posted on the
subject and was wondering if anyone has finished, made any progress or have
suggestions that would help us out.

We would appreciate any help in getting in using LiveCode with SCORM /LIT.
One potential client is focused on full LIT compatibility. We of course
will make the SCORM /LIT code Open Source for all educators.

Thanks,

Todd, Will and DP Education Team

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
Todd,
Fabulous! It will be a great resource for higher Ed developers. I'll see what I can do to test it at UCSB when it is available.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
Todd,
There's another LMS interface gaining some use, called "Common Cartridge". It addresses shortcomings that SCORM has for assessment of learning and will probably displace SCORM in higher Ed.
https://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#37

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Sep 19, 2016, at 10:47 PM, Earthednet-wp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Todd,
> Fabulous! It will be a great resource for higher Ed developers. I'll see what I can do to test it at UCSB when it is available.
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org
>
>> On Sep 19, 2016, at 10:02 PM, Todd Fabacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Educators,
>>
>> Will Jamieson, and the DP teem are deep into creating an online and App
>> integrated LMS in LiveCode. We are at the stage of creating  a SCORM and
>> LIT interface to our App. I see that several people have posted on the
>> subject and was wondering if anyone has finished, made any progress or have
>> suggestions that would help us out.
>>
>> We would appreciate any help in getting in using LiveCode with SCORM /LIT.
>> One potential client is focused on full LIT compatibility. We of course
>> will make the SCORM /LIT code Open Source for all educators.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Todd, Will and DP Education Team
Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Martin Koob
I am interested integrating my app with an LMS but felt there were too many limitations with SCORM.   I then found the Tin Can API.

http://tincanapi.com/scorm-vs-the-tin-can-api/

Could this be another approach to integrating LiveCode and an LMS?

Martin Koob

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Martin Koob
Oh, One more question.

What is LIT?

Thanks.

Martin Koob

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
Martin:
It’s actually LTI here is a link:
http://www.imsglobal.org/activity/learning-tools-interoperability <http://www.imsglobal.org/activity/learning-tools-interoperability>

There is another protocol that is getting support in the US called “Common Cartridge”. Link:
https://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#37 <https://www.imsglobal.org/cc/ccfaqs.html#37>

Common cartridge seems to have been built in response to the shortcomings of SCORM. SCORM is most useful for training, while Common Cartridge and LTI are more oriented toward higher ed, with more features necessary for assessment of student learning.

If an investment is to be made in developing software to interface with an LMS, I hope they can interface with a variety of popular platforms, like Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, and others I haven’t come across.

Best,
Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Martin Koob
Thanks for the link to LTI. I am interested in a technology that could integrate my LiveCode app into LMS's.

I think that Tin-Can API or the ExperienceAPI (xAPI) were also developed as a successor to SCORM to address its shortcomings.
https://experienceapi.com/history/

They list a number of adopters including BlackBoard and Moodle

http://experienceapi.com/adopters/

Have you heard of this?  Would this api accomplish what you are trying to do?

Martin

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
Martin,
I hadn't heard about xAPI. I've really just dabbled in this subject. I know that my campus uses a highly customized version of Moodle, so it would be compatible with xAPI. Our local community college is changing over to Canvas after using Moodle, and before that, Blackboard. An organization I'm involved with that distributes higher Ed learning resources (http://serc.carleton.edu/index.html) uses a protocol called "Common Cartridge".

The api needs to allow for stand-alone app integration, for my purposes. When I look at the docs for these api's, my eyes roll back in my head and I realize it would be a major project for me to implement this interface for my work. I give my projects away for free, so putting that kind of investment into the LMS api doesn't make sense for me. However, that said, I am interested and would be interested in using and/or testing, and following progress with those who might develop a livecode framework.

One thing I do know is that SCORM is inadequate for higher Ed. It forces a specific learning model that is outdated.

I will see if I can get some information from our Moodle IT guys at UCSB.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

William Prothero
Martin:
Just a thought. Since Todd Fabacher is in a group working on LTI (he called it LIT, but I think he meant LTI), and he will make the code open source, I think, for me anyway, it’s best to wait for the result of their efforts. LTI has a pretty wide capability. SCORM came about and was made popular by the US Defense dept. making it required for folks wanting to sell them training modules for their purposes. But, for higher ed, SCORM enforces an out-dated learning model that would not be adequate for more modern teaching pedagogies.

Best,
Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
Folks:
Here’s some more info I found on interfaces to LMS. I queried the director (a friend) of the Office of Instructional Improvement at the University of California, Santa Barbara and got this response:

"Hey, good to hear from you.  Sorry for the delayed response, but yesterday was the first day of classes for fall.  I also had to do a bit of research. In terms of interoperability with LMS’s  the best option, I think, is for the Livecode guys to focus on the LTI 2 standards and APIs for defining an LTI 2 content publisher and LTI 2 content consumer.  That is the interoperability piece.  xAPI is a set of API’s for collecting and storing user interaction data for later analysis, e.g. learning analytics.  It is a standard proposed by ADL.  It is kind of competing in that space with Caliper with is being developed by IMS global, and which is intended to work with the LTI 2 standard which IMS Global is also developing. I would think that it would be better to stick with the whole IMS Global suite of interoperability standards and analytics collection standards than trying to knit LTI 2 and xAPI, but that’s just me.  The UC system has been very involved with development of both standards working with IMS Global for the past three years.  Hope that helps.”

A useful Link:
http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf <http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf>

Best,
Bill

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Wprothero
By the way, I just fully read the link I posted in my previous message and it is a long, but very complete discussion of the various interfaces to learning system, targeted just right at our audience.

Check it out if you are interested in this topic.
Bill
http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf <http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf> <http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf <http://www.laceproject.eu/learning-analytics-review/files/2016/08/LACE-review07_xapi-caliper.pdf>>

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

Martin Koob
Hi Bill

Thanks for all the information about LTI etc.   I am open to whatever it the best option for compatibility.  I had only read about Tin-Can xAPI.    I am developing an app for higher education and some potential customers said it had to be based on SCORM to integrate with their LMS.  When I looked at how SCORM worked I realized it would not work at all with the type of application I am developing.   Further searches lead to me finding Tin-Can and I realized that was the way for me to go.

Bottom line is I want to be able to integrate with the LMS's used by colleges and universities so If LTI is the best way to do that I will jump on the bandwagon.

I just noticed a post about a meeting on Oct 6th to discuss this:

LiveCode to Education Industry API- Community project

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=28034&p=147152#p147152

I noticed it too late to attend but I want to learn more about what happened there.

Martin Koob

Re: LiveCode interface to SCORM /LIT

William Prothero
Martin:
It would be great if you joined the team. There hasn’t been much/any action since the Google hangouts meetup. The direction seemed to be to begin with an LTI interface to Moodle, just to get things rolling. That was based on the idea that LTI serviced the 3 most widely used LMS’s: Moodle, Blackboard, and Canvas. After some experience with that, the team could branch out. Each LMS appears to have its own idiosyncrasies, so there would have to be allowance for the differences.

The basic functionality would be:
1. user authentication and login, which would connect the app to the LMS
2. reporting of student actions
3. reporting of activity grade, if the app does the grading.

The main organizer of the group was William Jamieson and his last email to the group seemed to indicate that his project is pretty different in scope from what was described above, so he had a much lower stake in the outcome. I asked him for more information about his project so we could find common ground, but haven’t heard anything yet.

For educators, this could be a really exciting project and an entryway for an entirely new livecode audience. My personal contribution can’t be on the implementation of the protocols though. It would be a major effort and out of my field. However, the strategies and interfaces to the teacher/programmer and testing would be something I could contribute to.

One caveat is that my experience is based on what I know about the use of LMS’s by higher education. I retired before LMS’s got so popular and only SCORM existed at the time. Also there are other platforms that serve learning materials oriented toward K-12. For example, I was fairly impressed with some of the capabilities of Google’s education platform. It has great resources for Chromebooks and I haven’t explored whether there is any possible interface for external apps. My son is an elementary teacher and the low cost of Chromebooks makes that platform very attractive for elementary school teaching. I include this only to make my relative ignorance of other realms of education clear.

I know little about training for commercial and military customers. I do know that SCORM was developed for a fairly simple learning model and is a requirement for many of the military’s learning software purchases. Also, the education market is very different from when Hypercard was first introduced, so the enthusiastic adoption of Hypercard by college teachers who wanted to distribute learning materials to their students, may not be as easy to rebuild.

From my perspective as a retired college prof who has done a lot of educational technology (but not interfaced to LMS), the higher ed market is a ripe one. Livecode, with its power and ease of creating educational materials, could find a receptive audience for content creators with a bit of technical courage.

But, what is needed, IMHO, is a suite of development tools targeted at that audience. It could be a major entry point for teachers and content developers and if it was easy to use, provide a new audience of livecode users. It would have to have sample stacks that did the basic operations, like log in to an LMS, report some subset of student actions, and report a grade for an activity. LTI was developed to provide a richer suite of information about student learning, rather than simply sending a grade. Educators found SCORM to be too limiting.

Here’s some of my perspective on online learning: When beginning as new technology implementers, they seem to start out following a textbook model, with presenting a bunch of content that students read, then they give a quiz. After they do this (since students aren’t all that impressed), they try to spiff up the reading part with better graphics, perhaps animations, and then they give a quiz. Then (again, learning and engagement doesn’t seem to improve) they try to spiff up the quiz by having the student click on various parts of a graphic, or do something more than answer a multiple choice question. I think these approaches can be a valuable element to help students get some basic knowledge and to test themselves on whether they have learned the material (I believe that learning needs to go much deeper). However, they don’t begin to use the rich capabilities of the technology. Livecode is in an excellent position to support simulations and more sophisticated learning products.

Some of the most effective apps are simulations where students enter parameters, observe the results, and report their findings and conclusions. Writing is an important element of that. Here is a link to a publication of mine where I implemented scientific exploration, science paper writing, and peer review in a large oceanography class:
http://es.earthednet.org/downloads/pubs/PROTHERO.pdf <http://es.earthednet.org/downloads/pubs/PROTHERO.pdf>
I feel that the writing process is essential. It is where students digest and organize their ideas. Peer review provides further learning by having students analyze and criticize others’ work. It is very effective, but needs to be implemented carefully or it won’t work or can be gamed by students. The paper in the link above describes how this is done.

Another great learning strategy is the use of games. Here’s a link to a great game demonstrating the “Tragedy of the Commons” effect for fisheries:
http://es.earthednet.org/fg-tutorials?q=node/14 <http://es.earthednet.org/fg-tutorials?q=node/14>
Unfortunately, some copyright issues began to take a lot of my time, so I abandoned my support of the game.

That’s a lot more than discussed at the meeting, but I hope you found it interesting.

Best,
Bill