LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Hi folks,
What is the current state of the art regarding LiveCode server IDE - searching around, this seems down to personal preference of text editor plus FTP?

I'm Mac-based and looking to experiment with web services.
Thanks and regards,
Keith

Sent from my iPad

RE: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
I use the standard issue LC IDE to edit the server script, do a "Ctrl S" and
use either a web disk or VPN to drag the saved file to the server. Then I
test my web service in the currently opened IDE. Fast debug cycle.
Easy-peezy...

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

RE: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Keith,

As a follow up... If you have a web server with LC installed running on your
local machine then just a ctrl S in the LC IDE will let you test your server
script(stack) immediately in the currently open IDE instance.

IDE alternatives to edit LC script only stacks are many. I use the Atom for
LC builder and html(when Dreamweaver is just to much).

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Thanks for the response, Ralph.

I've struggled to retain/regain my old local Sites, web server and LC Server on my home Macs. So, I was thinking of embarking down the script-only stacks route, using an on-rev LC-Server instance to do any web-services heavy-lifting work server-to-server, on behalf of client apps that use either LC desktop or simple html forms.

My html & css 'hackery-pokery' has been on Coda2 to date, but its replacement, Nova, still lacks any LiveCode autocompletion.

I may need to learn a new text-editing based IDE tool. Thanks for the Atom suggestion - I see that there's a LiveCode language pack available that includes LC Server, so that may be a better place to play than VS Code, etc.

Thanks & regards,
Keith

> On 12 Oct 2020, at 15:01, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Keith,
>
> As a follow up... If you have a web server with LC installed running on your
> local machine then just a ctrl S in the LC IDE will let you test your server
> script(stack) immediately in the currently open IDE instance.
>
> IDE alternatives to edit LC script only stacks are many. I use the Atom for
> LC builder and html(when Dreamweaver is just to much).
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

RE: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Keith,

I use LC Server on the on-rev server. It is already setup and the support
from Heather/Robin is the best! I personally use regular standard issue
binary stacks for everything out of habit. These same stacks are also used
in my apps. This is what I love about LC server, it allows me to use my
libraries on the server and in apps. What other programming language does
this?

If you are doing web pages then look into revIgniter.
For a web service vanilla LC scripts do the trick.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keith,
>
> As a follow up... If you have a web server with LC installed running
> on your local machine then just a ctrl S in the LC IDE will let you
> test your server
> script(stack) immediately in the currently open IDE instance.
>
> IDE alternatives to edit LC script only stacks are many. I use the
> Atom for LC builder and html(when Dreamweaver is just to much).
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services
> [hidden email]

Re: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Hi Keith,

My workflow is not much different from Ralph's.

Short answer:

  - edit in IDE, test in IDE

  - upload to server using Coda 2  (which I also use to edit non-lc files).

Long answer:

  - I don't use any of the LCserver specific features -  no entangled
html, no includes, ... - everything is a regular script-only stack

  - I have a test stack that I use in the IDE which lets me specify
which page (and parameters, cookies, etc.) I want, generates the web
page and displays the output in a web browser instance within the
testing stack.

  - when satisfied, I use Coda 2 to upload the LC files (I never edit
them in Coda))

  - I edit other files (menu definitions, form definitions, web pages,
views, etc.)  in Coda2

I use both on-rev and hostM for servers - both have everything already
installed,  good support, etc.

(tbh, if on-rev hadn't had a bad patch a few years ago with email
problems, I would probably never have strayed, but it's kind of good to
know that hostM is there as an alternate source in case I need it :-)

Alex.

On 12/10/2020 15:49, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Ralph.
>
> I've struggled to retain/regain my old local Sites, web server and LC Server on my home Macs. So, I was thinking of embarking down the script-only stacks route, using an on-rev LC-Server instance to do any web-services heavy-lifting work server-to-server, on behalf of client apps that use either LC desktop or simple html forms.
>
> My html & css 'hackery-pokery' has been on Coda2 to date, but its replacement, Nova, still lacks any LiveCode autocompletion.
>
> I may need to learn a new text-editing based IDE tool. Thanks for the Atom suggestion - I see that there's a LiveCode language pack available that includes LC Server, so that may be a better place to play than VS Code, etc.
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Keith
>
>> On 12 Oct 2020, at 15:01, Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Keith,
>>
>> As a follow up... If you have a web server with LC installed running on your
>> local machine then just a ctrl S in the LC IDE will let you test your server
>> script(stack) immediately in the currently open IDE instance.
>>
>> IDE alternatives to edit LC script only stacks are many. I use the Atom for
>> LC builder and html(when Dreamweaver is just to much).
>>
>> Ralph DiMola
>> IT Director
>> Evergreen Information Services
>> [hidden email]

Re: LiveCode server IDE

Paul Dupuis via use-livecode
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the description of your workflow, toolset and dev/test rig - an interesting direction of travel, especially as it extends to my current setup.

I really like the division of labour between the LC IDE for LC and Coda for html, CSS and native sync to server. Nice too, the 'closed-loop environment, with the local test stack that can call, display (and if necessary interrogate) specific rendered web pages.

So, my learning path moves on, from tools to building out my own dev/test scaffolding and moving my thinking from LC stacks with UI to script-only stacks in an LC Server CGI context serving web forms. Plenty of reading to do! :-)

Thanks & regards,
Keith