LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi folks,
I’m attempting to engage with LiveCode Server after a couple of years since I last played - when the approach was to roll your own IDE (i.e. pick a text editor) and optionally use the RevIgnitor framework.

I’d be obliged if anyone could please update me on the current state of the art and share their personal tool-belt preference (target environment is a Linux VPS).
Thanks & regards
Keith

Re: LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I have no idea if this is state of the art or not :-) - but here's what
I do ...

Short answer : the Livecode IDE plus an FTP client (Filezilla).

Longer answer :

99% of what I write for the LC server is standard LC - scriptonly
stacks, used as library stacks.

I have about 20 lines of LCS - just enough to look around and "start
using" the relevant librarystacks, and then invoke the top-level
handler. (This is actually in a revIgniter controller because I use
revIgniter, but the same thing would work even if I didn't).

This lets me develop and test most of it in a convenient environment
(the IDE, on my own laptop). I keep a copy of the scripts locally, along
with enough of the database to do testing. I have a small "test-harness"
app that lets me set parameters as though from the URL.

All output is done through my own handlers - which then either output on
LC Server, or output to log/status/output fields and a browser widget in
the test app. All DB access is done through a shim layer which uses
Andre's DBLib + sqlite on the laptop and revIgniter's DB Lib + MySQL on
the server.

I don't use revIgniter's "Views" - I have my own library which provides
the equivalent functionality in a way that lets me give website
maintainers access to it, without giving them access to anything within
revIgniter's 'system' folder.  (This also lets me test on the IDE).

I have a variety of ancillary files which I edit with other editors
(currently trying out Atom for small changes, but falling back to emacs
when there are larger or complex changes to do).

Only problem I've run into with this approach is that sometimes I will
edit and test a file (or a number of files)  locally, and forget to
upload one or some :-(  So I have a small 'sync' app which runs on the
laptop, and uses a LC Server script on the website, to flag up any
differences in the 'should be identical' files.

Alex.

On 19/07/2018 08:01, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I’m attempting to engage with LiveCode Server after a couple of years since I last played - when the approach was to roll your own IDE (i.e. pick a text editor) and optionally use the RevIgnitor framework.
>
> I’d be obliged if anyone could please update me on the current state of the art and share their personal tool-belt preference (target environment is a Linux VPS).
> Thanks & regards
> Keith

Re: LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thanks for describing your setup, Alex.

I like the ‘work locally as usual, then upload’ approach - coupled with the essential 'Did everything synch?' check utility! :-)

The lightweight LCS hub is very appealing (probably without RevIgniter to avoid any additional complexity) to get the basic plumbing connected.

Time to hit the LCS lessons to see if I can replicate what you're achieving with 20-lines, methinks! :-)
Best,
Keith

> From: Alex Tweedly <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?
>
> I have no idea if this is state of the art or not :-) - but here's what
> I do ...
>

> Short answer : the Livecode IDE plus an FTP client (Filezilla).
>
> Longer answer :
>
> 99% of what I write for the LC server is standard LC - scriptonly
> stacks, used as library stacks.
>
> I have about 20 lines of LCS - just enough to look around and "start
> using" the relevant librarystacks, and then invoke the top-level
> handler. (This is actually in a revIgniter controller because I use
> revIgniter, but the same thing would work even if I didn't).
>
> This lets me develop and test most of it in a convenient environment
> (the IDE, on my own laptop). I keep a copy of the scripts locally, along
> with enough of the database to do testing. I have a small "test-harness"
> app that lets me set parameters as though from the URL.
>
> All output is done through my own handlers - which then either output on
> LC Server, or output to log/status/output fields and a browser widget in
> the test app. All DB access is done through a shim layer which uses
> Andre's DBLib + sqlite on the laptop and revIgniter's DB Lib + MySQL on
> the server.
>
> I don't use revIgniter's "Views" - I have my own library which provides
> the equivalent functionality in a way that lets me give website
> maintainers access to it, without giving them access to anything within
> revIgniter's 'system' folder.? (This also lets me test on the IDE).
>
> I have a variety of ancillary files which I edit with other editors
> (currently trying out Atom for small changes, but falling back to emacs
> when there are larger or complex changes to do).
>
> Only problem I've run into with this approach is that sometimes I will
> edit and test a file (or a number of files)? locally, and forget to
> upload one or some :-(? So I have a small 'sync' app which runs on the
> laptop, and uses a LC Server script on the website, to flag up any
> differences in the 'should be identical' files.
>
> Alex.
>
> On 19/07/2018 08:01, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> I?m attempting to engage with LiveCode Server after a couple of years since I last played - when the approach was to roll your own IDE (i.e. pick a text editor) and optionally use the RevIgnitor framework.
>>
>> I?d be obliged if anyone could please update me on the current state of the art and share their personal tool-belt preference (target environment is a Linux VPS).
>> Thanks & regards
>> Keith

Re: LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Keith,

what I do in the 20 lines isn't very much - most of the work is done
elsewhere.

I do have a couple of places I don't use revIgniter. Here's a sanitized
version of what I use there as LC Server script (NB I have sanitized it
before sending, so there could be typos here - I haven't test it in
exactly this form)

As you'll see, I keep my standard libraries in a folder
"libraryscripts", and then individual sites can over-ride those in a
folder "user/libraryscripts", and can have additional scripts in
"user/scripts". In an  earlier version I loaded all scripts found in
these folders; for now I specify which ones I want, but I think I might
at some point go back to loading every script I find as a librarystack.

I'll have a look at the synch utility to see if it can be similarly
sanitized and shared.

-- Alex.

<?lc
-- DO NOT USE include OR in-line STATEMENTS or you will lose ability to
use IDE Tester App
-- NB include siteConfig.lc for site specific content

if there is a file ("user/libraryscripts/main_script.livecode") then
   put ("user/libraryscripts/main_script.livecode") into tt
else
   put ("libraryscripts/main_script.livecode") into tt
end if
start using stack tt

repeat for each word W in "common forms arrayjson" -- the libraries I
always need
   put W & "_script.livecode" into tFile
   if there is a file ("user/libraryscripts" & tFile) then
     put ("user/libraryscripts/" & tFile) into tt
   else
     put ("libraryscripts/" & tFile) into tt
   end if
   start using stack tt
end repeat

put "user/scripts/siteConfig.lc" into tt
if there is a file tt then
   start using stack tt
   siteConfig
end if

-- and do the command
--   NB Usage ... www.mydomain.com/standalone.lc?command=dosomething&...
put $_GET["command"] into tCommand
do tCommand

On 20/07/2018 07:58, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>> upload one or some :-(? So I have a small 'sync' app which runs on the
>> laptop, and uses a LC Server script on the website, to flag up any
>> differences in the 'should be identical' files.
>>
>> Alex.
>>
>> On 19/07/2018 08:01, Keith Clarke via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>> I?m attempting to engage with LiveCode Server after a couple of years since I last played - when the approach was to roll your own IDE (i.e. pick a text editor) and optionally use the RevIgnitor framework.
>>>
>>> I?d be obliged if anyone could please update me on the current state of the art and share their personal tool-belt preference (target environment is a Linux VPS).
>>> Thanks & regards
>>> Keith

Re: LiveCode server IDE - the current state of the art?

Hi Alex,
Thanks for sharing this structure - really useful to help visualise the ‘skeleton' of the required architecture.

I just need to get LC server installed on our VPS (…cue ominous sound of another can of worms creaking open!) and start building-out.
Best,
Keith