LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
List,

Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know when this changed) were able to.

I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk: can't find stack

put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault

I can also see this when opening a stack from LiveCode. the LicenseKey.IW file is greyed out unless I look for All Files when then opens it correctly.

How can I open the stack file in LiveCode 9.5.1 without changing the name of the file?

Thank you,
Bill Vlahos

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
This works here:

go stack url("binfile:/Users/admin/xstacks/selectiveGray6789.IW")

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Bill,

In LC 9.04 issue a command

go stack tURL

where tURL is the directory path and it opens the stacks. My stacks don’t have a suffix at all.

Peter Bogdanoff

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 5:51 PM, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> List,
>
> Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know when this changed) were able to.
>
> I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk: can't find stack
>
> put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault
>

> I can also see this when opening a stack from LiveCode. the LicenseKey.IW file is greyed out unless I look for All Files when then opens it correctly.
>
> How can I open the stack file in LiveCode 9.5.1 without changing the name of the file?
>
> Thank you,
> Bill Vlahos

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Peter,

I don’t want to open or go to that stack. It is like a preferences stack. I want to get and set custom properties of it.

Regards,
Bill

On 12/27/19 2:51 PM, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode wrote:
> List,
>
> Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know when this changed) were able to.
>
> I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk: can't find stack
>
> put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault

Is that the name of the stack or the stack *file*?
If it's a filename then you'll have to load it into memory, change it,
and save it.

It's things like this that got me to store preferences in text files.

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Mark,

It is both the name of the stack and file name.

I’d really rather not have to rename the license key file name. It would be better to figure out how LiveCode could work like it used to.

Thanks,
Bill

> On Dec 27, 2019, at 5:08 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/27/19 2:51 PM, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode wrote:
>> List,
>> Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know when this changed) were able to.
>> I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk: can't find stack
>> put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault
>
> Is that the name of the stack or the stack *file*?
> If it's a filename then you'll have to load it into memory, change it, and save it.
>
> It's things like this that got me to store preferences in text files.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
LiveCode will recognize any stack file of the same or earlier version of
the engine attempting to access it, regardless of file extension.

Must be something else going on with that...

On 2019-12-27 22:51, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode wrote:
> List,
>
> Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name
> ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know
> when this changed) were able to.

Nothing has changed here in any recent version.

> I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file
> name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read
> custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk:
> can't find stack
>
> put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault

This is most likely because you haven't got the stackFiles property set
up, or the defaultFolder is not what you are expecting it to be - i.e.
the engine cannot find the stack with filename "LicenseKey.IW" relative
to the current folder.

> I can also see this when opening a stack from LiveCode. the
> LicenseKey.IW file is greyed out unless I look for All Files when then
> opens it correctly.

The IDE still uses the form of 'answer file' which specifies a
creator/filetype and an extension. I suspect either one of:

   A) the creator/filetype is actually recognised by more recent versions
of macOS (i.e. they are ignored completely - I don't recall a report
against Mojave, but it is entirely possible Catalina no longer supports
them)

   B) The file has just lost its creator/filetype and thus is being
filtered out (this can happen if a file is archived via a format which
doesn't support these attributes, or has transmitted through an FS which
doesn't).

> How can I open the stack file in LiveCode 9.5.1 without changing the
> name of the file?

Use All Files and select it that way, as you have been doing :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi.

I have two monitors as well. And I use a key combination and a plug-in to
reset the loc of the very stacks you mentioned, plus the SE. These change
each time I save a stack.

The point being that I never have a problem saving, only that I have to
reset the loc of the topStack and the others each time I do.

More than worth it to have two monitors, though.

Craig

On 2019-12-27 22:51, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode wrote:
> List,
>
> Version 9.x of LiveCode doesn’t recognize stacks unless the file name
> ends with either .rev or .livecode. Previous versions (I don’t know
> when this changed) were able to.

Nothing has changed here in any recent version.

> I use a stack file as the Preferences file for InfoWallet but the file
> name is “LicenseKey.IW”. When I execute the following command to read
> custom properties in the stack it fails with an error. Type: Chunk:
> can't find stack
>
> put the uDefaultWallet of stack "LicenseKey.IW" into vDefault

This is most likely because you haven't got the stackFiles property set
up, or the defaultFolder is not what you are expecting it to be - i.e.
the engine cannot find the stack with filename "LicenseKey.IW" relative
to the current folder.

> I can also see this when opening a stack from LiveCode. the
> LicenseKey.IW file is greyed out unless I look for All Files when then
> opens it correctly.

The IDE still uses the form of 'answer file' which specifies a
creator/filetype and an extension. I suspect either one of:

  A) the creator/filetype is actually recognised by more recent versions
of macOS (i.e. they are ignored completely - I don't recall a report
against Mojave, but it is entirely possible Catalina no longer supports
them)

  B) The file has just lost its creator/filetype and thus is being
filtered out (this can happen if a file is archived via a format which
doesn't support these attributes, or has transmitted through an FS which
doesn't).

> How can I open the stack file in LiveCode 9.5.1 without changing the
> name of the file?

Use All Files and select it that way, as you have been doing :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
My stacks wander a bit too. I wrote a routine to reposition my stacks to their last position when they were closed, because saving stacks in Windows has proven to be time consuming. But on the Mac and Windows, the restored position is always slightly off from the last position and I have never been able to come up with a reliable formula to account for this.

Bob S

> On Dec 30, 2019, at 10:27 , dunbarx--- via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I have two monitors as well. And I use a key combination and a plug-in to
> reset the loc of the very stacks you mentioned, plus the SE. These change
> each time I save a stack.
>
> The point being that I never have a problem saving, only that I have to
> reset the loc of the topStack and the others each time I do.
>
> More than worth it to have two monitors, though.
>
> Craig

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I wander a bit as well, but as long as it isn't too much I'm no that
fashed; and
with my Macintosh I've got 3 monitors, so however far things wander
aiblins it isnae
farther than 'that'.

Richmond.

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > ...saving stacks in Windows has proven to be time consuming.

Curious.  Haven't seen that, but there may be something specific there
worth knowing about.

Recipe/bug ID#?

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Trashing prefs will bring back LC to the main monitor, no fiddling with loc of stacks.

then, later in the week, after loading on Macbook Pro while at Java Café. LC loses track -- or something, does not always happen this way. Then back to multi-monitors. I learned to shut down my lap top *before* reconnecting. That helps…

Would be nice to save out your current prefs to a json file or a LC array file, and load then again. Save time going through and fixing them each time you trash the LC prefs.

The point being that I never have a problem saving, only that I have to
reset the loc of the topStack and the others each time I do.

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Mark,

Thanks for commenting.

This behavior changed between version 7 (and earlier) and version 8 (and later).

When I am in LC version 7 or earlier and go File menu/Open Stack I am able to select my stack named “LicenseKey.IW” without specifying “All Files”.

When I am in LC version 8 or 9 on the same computer opening the same “LicenseKey.IW”, file it is grayed out on the Mac when Open Stack. On Windows the file is not visible until I select All Files.

My program is correctly setting the defaultFolder but is getting the same result of not recognizing the file as a LiveCode stack when I build using LiveCode version 9.5.1.

Any idea what might have changed between version 7 and 8 and how I can get the old behavior when I’m referencing the stack?

Thank you,
Bill Vlahos

Bill Vlahos wrote:

 > My program is correctly setting the defaultFolder but is getting the
 > same result of not recognizing the file as a LiveCode stack when I
 > build using LiveCode version 9.5.1.
 >
 > Any idea what might have changed between version 7 and 8 and how I can
 > get the old behavior when I’m referencing the stack?

I wonder if the change has to do with macOS' alteration of contents
within the app bundle.

What is the full path to the stack file, what is the wording of "the
result", and what integer is returned from sysError() when the result is
not empty?

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Richard,

I’m running the different versions of LiveCode on the same Mac and looking at the same file so I don’t think the OS is affecting this.

I’m just asking if there is a stack with the correct name and getting “false” as the answer if using LC 9.5.1.
If I ask for “file” and not “stack” then the result is “true”.

The path to the LicenseKey.IW file is correct at: /Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files

Here is the error message:
Executing at 4:47:43 PM on Tuesday, December 31, 2019
Type: Chunk: can't find stack
Object: stack '/Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files/InfoWallet.app/Contents/MacOS/InfoWallet'
Line Num: 26
Hint: populateFileList

Comments:

I think LC must have changed how they are validating “stack” in version 8 compared to version 7.

Bill

On 12/31/19 5:00 PM, Bill Vlahos via use-livecode wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I’m running the different versions of LiveCode on the same Mac and looking at the same file so I don’t think the OS is affecting this.
>
> I’m just asking if there is a stack with the correct name and getting “false” as the answer if using LC 9.5.1.
> If I ask for “file” and not “stack” then the result is “true”.
>
> The path to the LicenseKey.IW file is correct at: /Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files
>
> Here is the error message:
> Executing at 4:47:43 PM on Tuesday, December 31, 2019
> Type: Chunk: can't find stack
> Object: stack '/Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files/InfoWallet.app/Contents/MacOS/InfoWallet'
> Line Num: 26
> Hint: populateFileList

It looks to me like the defaultFolder is not what you think it is.
The error message seems to say it's looking in the same folder as the
InfoWallet application, i.e., inside the InfoWallet.app folder.

Also... looking for file and looking for stack are different actions.
If you're asking for a stack then the stack has to be in memory.
Asking for a file will look in the current defaultFolder.

Bill Vlahos wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I’m running the different versions of LiveCode on the same Mac and looking at the same file so I don’t think the OS is affecting this.
>
> I’m just asking if there is a stack with the correct name and getting “false” as the answer if using LC 9.5.1.
> If I ask for “file” and not “stack” then the result is “true”.
>
> The path to the LicenseKey.IW file is correct at: /Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files
>
> Here is the error message:
> Executing at 4:47:43 PM on Tuesday, December 31, 2019
> Type: Chunk: can't find stack
> Object: stack '/Volumes/HP c310w/InfoWallet 1.4/Info Files/InfoWallet.app/Contents/MacOS/InfoWallet'
> Line Num: 26
> Hint: populateFileList
>
> Comments:
>

> I think LC must have changed how they are validating “stack” in version 8 compared to version 7.

Maybe, but if so it's happening in a way not even Mark Waddingham is
aware of (see his earlier post), and in ways I've never seen (and I do
some weird things with stack files).

Most interesting here is that "is a file" returns true while "is a
stack" returns false.

Were both of those tests run in the standalone?  MacOS changed some
aspects of how apps are allowed to address contents of its internal
bundle folders a while back, but I would be surprised if those come into
play only when testing "is a stack" but not "is a file".

Is the stack file openable in the IDE?

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Have you tried addressing it via the full path?

put the uProperty of stack “/fullPathToFile/actualFileName” into tVar

Thanks,
Brian

Re: LiveCode won't recognize my stack

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Richard and Brian,

I think you guys are on to something. The LiveCode open dialog filter is a different issue than actually being able to open the file as a stack. Thanks.

For some reason my OpenStack handler in the Card script isn’t being triggered. This is causing a number of issues including failing to “start using…” some library stacks and the one I reported here.

I’m looking into that now.

Thanks,
Bill Vlahos