Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

David Bovill-3
I'm trying to test LiveCode 8dp2 mobile deployment on iOS.

However it is not recognising XCode 6.3.2 (when I add the Xcode folder to
the LiveCode mobile prefs I get the dialogue "The chosen folder is not a
valid iOS SDK"

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Ray Horsley-2
David - just so you know, I filed bug report 15497 yesterday about this
exact same thing in 7.0.2.

On 6/14/2015 6:52 PM, David Bovill wrote:

> I'm trying to test LiveCode 8dp2 mobile deployment on iOS.
>
> However it is not recognising XCode 6.3.2 (when I add the Xcode folder to
> the LiveCode mobile prefs I get the dialogue "The chosen folder is not a
> valid iOS SDK"

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Paul_Hibbert
David & Ray,

Xcode 6.3.2 was released on the 18th May 2015, that’s several weeks AFTER both LC 8 (dp2) or LC 7.0.2 were released.

I doubt the LC can predict what Apple will include in future releases, I usually try to keep a copy of the previous Xcode available for this reason, I make a duplicate copy in a folder and called ‘Xcode Prev’ prior to any software updates, then link that to earlier versions of LC when needed.

LC 7.0.5 (Stable) is compatible with Xcode 6.3.2 (available from: http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode ) and I’m sure LC 8 (dp3) will be compatible too when it is released.

HTH

Paul

> On Jun 14, 2015, at 10:51, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David - just so you know, I filed bug report 15497 yesterday about this exact same thing in 7.0.2.
>
> On 6/14/2015 6:52 PM, David Bovill wrote:
>> I'm trying to test LiveCode 8dp2 mobile deployment on iOS.
>>
>> However it is not recognising XCode 6.3.2 (when I add the Xcode folder to
>> the LiveCode mobile prefs I get the dialogue "The chosen folder is not a
>> valid iOS SDK"

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Ray Horsley-2
Paul,

Thanks for jumping in here and clearing up some of the version number
combinations which work.  I requested this in a different thread just
yesterday and didn't expect to get a good response till Monday.

One question; if I simply drag the Xcode 6.3.2 and Livecode 7.0.2
bundles in the Macintosh Applications folder to the trash will that
totally uninstall everything so re-installing an different version won't
turn up incompatibilities?

Thanks again,

Ray

On 6/14/2015 8:47 PM, Paul Hibbert wrote:

> David & Ray,
>
> Xcode 6.3.2 was released on the 18th May 2015, that’s several weeks AFTER both LC 8 (dp2) or LC 7.0.2 were released.
>
> I doubt the LC can predict what Apple will include in future releases, I usually try to keep a copy of the previous Xcode available for this reason, I make a duplicate copy in a folder and called ‘Xcode Prev’ prior to any software updates, then link that to earlier versions of LC when needed.
>
> LC 7.0.5 (Stable) is compatible with Xcode 6.3.2 (available from: http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode ) and I’m sure LC 8 (dp3) will be compatible too when it is released.
>
> HTH
>
> Paul
>

>> On Jun 14, 2015, at 10:51, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> David - just so you know, I filed bug report 15497 yesterday about this exact same thing in 7.0.2.
>>
>> On 6/14/2015 6:52 PM, David Bovill wrote:
>>> I'm trying to test LiveCode 8dp2 mobile deployment on iOS.
>>>
>>> However it is not recognising XCode 6.3.2 (when I add the Xcode folder to
>>> the LiveCode mobile prefs I get the dialogue "The chosen folder is not a
>>> valid iOS SDK"

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Colin Holgate-3
If you try to use LiveCode with Xcode 7, that only comes with the 9.0 SDK, LiveCode shows a list of acceptable SDKs that it looks for. The list goes as recent as 8.3. The full list is:

5.1
6.1
7.1
8.2
8.3

9.0 ought to be added to the list now too, but the point is, I think that LiveCode should be finding one of those SDKs inside Xcode 6.3.2, even if it came out after the last LiveCode 7.

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Ray Horsley-2
Agreed.  I'd like to some more information than:

On 6/14/2015 8:55 PM, Colin Holgate wrote:

> If you try to use LiveCode with Xcode 7, that only comes with the 9.0 SDK, LiveCode shows a list of acceptable SDKs that it looks for. The list goes as recent as 8.3. The full list is:
>
> 5.1
> 6.1
> 7.1
> 8.2
> 8.3
>
> 9.0 ought to be added to the list now too, but the point is, I think that LiveCode should be finding one of those SDKs inside Xcode 6.3.2, even if it came out after the last LiveCode 7.

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Paul_Hibbert
With Xcode, I would just download the older version from Apple to a sub folder within your Applications folder, that way you don’t need to trash the current version only to re-download it later. The two versions will work side by side with no problem, but because they are named the same, one will need to be in a sub folder.

You should be able to trash LC 7.0.2 and install LC 7.0.5 without any issues, I do that with each update so I don’t end up with lots of versions of LC, I like to keep it down to a few manageable versions.

I also agree that if the SDK for 8.2 is within Xcode 8.3, then LC 7.0.2 should recognise it, but who knows what Apple changes between versions, I imagine it wouldn’t take much for the link to be broken.

Just to note, I’m finding LC 7.0.5 to be a bit more stable than most of the dp releases, I almost gave up on LC 7 because of so many odd crashes.

Paul

> On Jun 14, 2015, at 11:54, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One question; if I simply drag the Xcode 6.3.2 and Livecode 7.0.2 bundles in the Macintosh Applications folder to the trash will that totally uninstall everything so re-installing an different version won't turn up incompatibilities?

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Ray Horsley-2
Once again Paul, many thanks for sharing your experience here.  I'll
take another shot at this first thing tomorrow.

On 6/14/2015 9:10 PM, Paul Hibbert wrote:

> With Xcode, I would just download the older version from Apple to a sub folder within your Applications folder, that way you don’t need to trash the current version only to re-download it later. The two versions will work side by side with no problem, but because they are named the same, one will need to be in a sub folder.
>
> You should be able to trash LC 7.0.2 and install LC 7.0.5 without any issues, I do that with each update so I don’t end up with lots of versions of LC, I like to keep it down to a few manageable versions.
>
> I also agree that if the SDK for 8.2 is within Xcode 8.3, then LC 7.0.2 should recognise it, but who knows what Apple changes between versions, I imagine it wouldn’t take much for the link to be broken.
>
> Just to note, I’m finding LC 7.0.5 to be a bit more stable than most of the dp releases, I almost gave up on LC 7 because of so many odd crashes.
>
> Paul
>
>> On Jun 14, 2015, at 11:54, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> One question; if I simply drag the Xcode 6.3.2 and Livecode 7.0.2 bundles in the Macintosh Applications folder to the trash will that totally uninstall everything so re-installing an different version won't turn up incompatibilities?

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

David Bovill-3
Is there a way to add this manually? I'd like to do a test of the new
widgets on iOS - currently I can't get version 8+ of LiveCode to play with
XCode - I'm thinking I can just set a custom property or something by hand?

On 14 June 2015 at 21:38, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once again Paul, many thanks for sharing your experience here.  I'll take
> another shot at this first thing tomorrow.
>

> On 6/14/2015 9:10 PM, Paul Hibbert wrote:
>
>> With Xcode, I would just download the older version from Apple to a sub
>> folder within your Applications folder, that way you don’t need to trash
>> the current version only to re-download it later. The two versions will
>> work side by side with no problem, but because they are named the same, one
>> will need to be in a sub folder.
>>
>> You should be able to trash LC 7.0.2 and install LC 7.0.5 without any
>> issues, I do that with each update so I don’t end up with lots of versions
>> of LC, I like to keep it down to a few manageable versions.
>>
>> I also agree that if the SDK for 8.2 is within Xcode 8.3, then LC 7.0.2
>> should recognise it, but who knows what Apple changes between versions, I
>> imagine it wouldn’t take much for the link to be broken.
>>
>> Just to note, I’m finding LC 7.0.5 to be a bit more stable than most of
>> the dp releases, I almost gave up on LC 7 because of so many odd crashes.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>>  On Jun 14, 2015, at 11:54, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> One question; if I simply drag the Xcode 6.3.2 and Livecode 7.0.2
>>> bundles in the Macintosh Applications folder to the trash will that totally
>>> uninstall everything so re-installing an different version won't turn up
>>> incompatibilities?

No Internet No Livecode?

Ray Horsley-2
I have no internet connection today, service is down or something, and
when I launch Livecoe 7.0.5, 7.0.2 or 6.7.6 on my Mac Mini running
Yosemite I get nothing but a Livecode menu which doesn't let me do
anything except open up some kind of Services section in the System
Preferences.

Have I missed something somewhere?  Is there now some kind of license
setting which disallows using Livecode offline?  Or does Livecode on a
Mac simply require internet connection to properly launch the IDE?

It's odd since I'm still able to launch 7.0.2 on my Windows system with
no connection.

Any ideas?

No Internet No Livecode?

Ray Horsley-2
Since posting this I've discovered I DO have an internet connection,
it's just SUPER slow for some reason.

The only thing remaining which puzzles me is why Livecode 7.0.2 on my
Windows system launches immediately while on the Mac it launches
'eventually', evidently waiting while some kind of network call is made.

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

Dave Kilroy
David apparently LC 8 (dp2) needs to connect to Xcode 6.2 - and also apparently apps made this way will run on iOS 8.2.

I re-downloaded Xcode 6.2 and LC8 (dp2) connected with it nicely and I built an app - unfortunately I don't have a device running 8.2, but do have one running 8.1.3 - and with 6.2 and LC 8 (dp2) I got a 'hello world' to install but it wouldn't run (opens to black screen and exits after half a second)

Next version of LC8 is coming soon...

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

Re: No Internet No Livecode?

Mike Bonner
On your mac, does the start center still pop up on startup?  If so, yo
might change preferences so that it doesn't show up and then try again.
(just a guess)

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:01 AM, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since posting this I've discovered I DO have an internet connection, it's
> just SUPER slow for some reason.
>
> The only thing remaining which puzzles me is why Livecode 7.0.2 on my
> Windows system launches immediately while on the Mac it launches
> 'eventually', evidently waiting while some kind of network call is made.

Re: No Internet No Livecode?

Ray Horsley-2
No, I disabled the Start Center when I st up the machine, but thanks.  I
think I've got a work around.

On 6/24/2015 3:41 PM, Mike Bonner wrote:

> On your mac, does the start center still pop up on startup?  If so, yo
> might change preferences so that it doesn't show up and then try again.
> (just a guess)
>
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 5:01 AM, Ray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Since posting this I've discovered I DO have an internet connection, it's
>> just SUPER slow for some reason.
>>
>> The only thing remaining which puzzles me is why Livecode 7.0.2 on my
>> Windows system launches immediately while on the Mac it launches
>> 'eventually', evidently waiting while some kind of network call is made.

Re: Livecode 8 (dp2) not recognising Xcode?

David Bovill-3
Yes - I tried as well - LC 8 (dp2) needs to connect to Xcode 6.2 play well
- but apps crash with black screen on latest iOS.

On 24 June 2015 at 13:24, Dave Kilroy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David apparently LC 8 (dp2) needs to connect to Xcode 6.2 - and also
> apparently apps made this way will run on iOS 8.2.
>
> I re-downloaded Xcode 6.2 and LC8 (dp2) connected with it nicely and I
> built
> an app - unfortunately I don't have a device running 8.2, but do have one
> running 8.1.3 - and with 6.2 and LC 8 (dp2) I got a 'hello world' to
> install
> but it wouldn't run (opens to black screen and exits after half a second)
>
> Next version of LC8 is coming soon...
>
> Dave
>

> -----
> "The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits." -
> Albert Einstein

Re: No Internet No Livecode?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 24/06/15 13:52, Ray wrote:

> I have no internet connection today, service is down or something, and
> when I launch Livecoe 7.0.5, 7.0.2 or 6.7.6 on my Mac Mini running
> Yosemite I get nothing but a Livecode menu which doesn't let me do
> anything except open up some kind of Services section in the System
> Preferences.
>
> Have I missed something somewhere?  Is there now some kind of license
> setting which disallows using Livecode offline?  Or does Livecode on a
> Mac simply require internet connection to properly launch the IDE?
>
> It's odd since I'm still able to launch 7.0.2 on my Windows system
> with no connection.
>
> Any ideas?

None: I have a school-full of computers with no internet connexion
all happily running 7.0.5 - mind you, they run on Linux.

Re: No Internet No Livecode?

Mark Talluto
On 24/06/15 13:52, Ray wrote:
>> I have no internet connection today, service is down or something, and when I launch Livecoe 7.0.5, 7.0.2 or 6.7.6 on my Mac Mini running Yosemite I get nothing but a Livecode menu which doesn't let me do anything except open up some kind of Services section in the System Preferences.
>>
>> Have I missed something somewhere?  Is there now some kind of license setting which disallows using Livecode offline?  Or does Livecode on a Mac simply require internet connection to properly launch the IDE?
>>
>> It's odd since I'm still able to launch 7.0.2 on my Windows system with no connection.
>>
>> Any ideas?

There is a phone home component that is probably not dealing well with the slower internet connection. When things get like this, the easiest thing to do is disconnect for your internet connection and start up LC and then turn it back after LC is done loading.

The longer term solution is to generate a bug report on this. All they need to do is give up the phone home for a later date when the connection is stronger. My personal favorite would be to do the internet stuff that is under the hood on a different process that will not affect your performance or experience with LC itself.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io
canelasoftware.com

CassiaDB: The easy to use, free local database made for LiveCode Developers

Stacks Losing their Size and Location

Ray Horsley-2
I've been wrestling with this in 7.0.5 for a while.  Here it is
distilled and the simplest way to repeat it:

on mouseUp
    answer the rect of this stack
    set the decorations of this stack to empty
    answer the rect of this stack                             -- we're
fine here (same rect)
    set the decorations of this stack to default         -- we're
suddenly all over the place
    answer the rect of this stack
-- totally different rect and dimmensions
end mouseUp

Setting the decorations to default not only changes the location of the
stack, it also changes the stack's width and height to some new random size.

As I mentioned, this is the "distilled" version.  This also happens when
downloading a stack from a remote server.  Simply opening it changes the
width and/or height.

An additional issue is I'm also unable to return the stack's width,
height or location after this random resizing occurs unless I send
commands later or in an idle handler which calls them after everything
has settled back down.

Does anybody know if this is a reported bug?

Thanks!

Re: Stacks Losing their Size and Location

ScottR
You might want to check with a more recent version to confirm since 7.0.5
is several versions old (the LC guys announced 7.1.1 today).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design

On 12/16/15, 12:02 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Ray"
<[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

>I've been wrestling with this in 7.0.5 for a while.  Here it is
>distilled and the simplest way to repeat it:
>
>on mouseUp
>    answer the rect of this stack
>    set the decorations of this stack to empty
>    answer the rect of this stack                             -- we're
>fine here (same rect)
>    set the decorations of this stack to default         -- we're
>suddenly all over the place
>    answer the rect of this stack
>-- totally different rect and dimmensions
>end mouseUp
>
>Setting the decorations to default not only changes the location of the
>stack, it also changes the stack's width and height to some new random
>size.
>
>As I mentioned, this is the "distilled" version.  This also happens when
>downloading a stack from a remote server.  Simply opening it changes the
>width and/or height.
>
>An additional issue is I'm also unable to return the stack's width,
>height or location after this random resizing occurs unless I send
>commands later or in an idle handler which calls them after everything
>has settled back down.
>
>Does anybody know if this is a reported bug?
>
>Thanks!

Re: Stacks Losing their Size and Location

Ray Horsley-2
Thanks Scott - I was just going to add that I can NOT repeat this on my
laptop which is also running Livecode 7.0.5 and Windows 8.1 so there's
obviously something going on with my desktop 8.1 system.

If anybody has any ideas please share them.  Sorry for the false alarm
regarding Livecode.