Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi all,

Just tried activating the latest version of LC but the server is apparently
down. Needed to urgently create an iOS standalone for XCode 9.2 but stopped
in my tracks. The downloads page and the whole livecode.com site is not
responding. Sigh. Now need to explain this to my client.

Sean Cole
*Pi Digital Productions Ltd*

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Sean,

I have gone back to using the manual method
of activating LC for that very reason.

You may want to do this in the near future.

LC server downtime should never impact
user productivity.

Just my 2 cents for the day.

Cheers,

Rick

> On Feb 13, 2018, at 11:02 PM, Sean Cole (Pi) via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just tried activating the latest version of LC but the server is apparently
> down. Needed to urgently create an iOS standalone for XCode 9.2 but stopped
> in my tracks. The downloads page and the whole livecode.com <http://livecode.com/> site is not
> responding. Sigh. Now need to explain this to my client.
>
> Sean Cole
> *Pi Digital Productions Ltd*

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/14/2018 08:16 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> I have gone back to using the manual method
> of activating LC for that very reason.
>
> You may want to do this in the near future.
>
> LC server downtime should never impact
> user productivity.
>
> Just my 2 cents for the day.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rick
>

>> On Feb 13, 2018, at 11:02 PM, Sean Cole (Pi) via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just tried activating the latest version of LC but the server is apparently
>> down. Needed to urgently create an iOS standalone for XCode 9.2 but stopped
>> in my tracks. The downloads page and the whole livecode.com <http://livecode.com/> site is not
>> responding. Sigh. Now need to explain this to my client.
>>
>> Sean Cole
>> *Pi Digital Productions Ltd*

Yeah, I got stuck in the middle of something similar.
It's amazing to me that the entire livecode hierarchy (livecode.com,
livecode.org, the listserv, the forums, the mail servers, the activation
and authorization servers...) was all down for several hours. I'd like
to see a reasonable explanation from the mothership about what happened
and how they're going to avoid this in the future. And please don't say
that everything goes through a single gateway with no failover.

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/14/2018 08:36 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 02/14/2018 08:16 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> I have gone back to using the manual method
>> of activating LC for that very reason.
>>
>> You may want to do this in the near future.
>>
>> LC server downtime should never impact
>> user productivity.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents for the day.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rick
>>

>>> On Feb 13, 2018, at 11:02 PM, Sean Cole (Pi) via use-livecode
>>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just tried activating the latest version of LC but the server is
>>> apparently
>>> down. Needed to urgently create an iOS standalone for XCode 9.2 but
>>> stopped
>>> in my tracks. The downloads page and the whole livecode.com
>>> <http://livecode.com/> site is not
>>> responding. Sigh. Now need to explain this to my client.
>>>
>>> Sean Cole
>>> *Pi Digital Productions Ltd*
>
> Yeah, I got stuck in the middle of something similar.
> It's amazing to me that the entire livecode hierarchy (livecode.com,
> livecode.org, the listserv, the forums, the mail servers, the activation
> and authorization servers...) was all down for several hours. I'd like
> to see a reasonable explanation from the mothership about what happened
> and how they're going to avoid this in the future. And please don't say
> that everything goes through a single gateway with no failover.

Still can't activate a license.
An error occurred while attempting to contact the server. Please try
again later.

Anybody home?

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
What Heather told me the last time this happened was to:

a) disconnect your development machine from the internet
b) launch LiveCode (it opens in offline mode)
c) reconnect your development machine to the internet
d) continue making awesome apps with LC

-----
Peter M. Brigham

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Unfortunately we¹ve been the subject of a spate of sustained, intensive
hacking attempts. We had a series of incidents the other week and the last
couple of days has been a new round of attempts from a different angle.
We¹ve fought them off yet again, but some of our team are very tired.
Heather for one was up half the night. The systems are well designed and
no customer data has been affected.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 15/02/2018, 07:57, "use-livecode on behalf of Dave Kilroy via
use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>What Heather told me the last time this happened was to:
>
>a) disconnect your development machine from the internet
>b) launch LiveCode (it opens in offline mode)
>c) reconnect your development machine to the internet
>d) continue making awesome apps with LC
>

>-----
>"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes
>the other 90% of the time."
>Peter M. Brigham
>--
>Sent from:
>http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.htm

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
There is NO reason at all for there not  to be a backup activation server
with a downloads directory to boot - cost is not prohibitive $8 a month or
so on HostM or $5 a month on digital ocean if a Virtual Server is needed.

Lagi

On 15 February 2018 at 07:57, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What Heather told me the last time this happened was to:
>
> a) disconnect your development machine from the internet
> b) launch LiveCode (it opens in offline mode)
> c) reconnect your development machine to the internet
> d) continue making awesome apps with LC
>

> -----
> "The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes
> the other 90% of the time."
> Peter M. Brigham
> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-
> User-f278306.html

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
The hackers if any good would attack those as well. We have a good workaround.

Bob S

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 02:39 , Lagi Pittas via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There is NO reason at all for there not  to be a backup activation server
> with a downloads directory to boot - cost is not prohibitive $8 a month or
> so on HostM or $5 a month on digital ocean if a Virtual Server is needed.
>
> Lagi

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/14/2018 11:57 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode wrote:
 > What Heather told me the last time this happened was to:
 >
 > a) disconnect your development machine from the internet
 > b) launch LiveCode (it opens in offline mode)
 > c) reconnect your development machine to the internet
 > d) continue making awesome apps with LC

Dave-

Thanks, yes, but this was a different situation. I was trying to install
a new version in a new system, so I needed to install a license.

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/15/2018 01:47 AM, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
> Unfortunately we¹ve been the subject of a spate of sustained, intensive
> hacking attempts. We had a series of incidents the other week and the last
> couple of days has been a new round of attempts from a different angle.
> We¹ve fought them off yet again, but some of our team are very tired.
> Heather for one was up half the night. The systems are well designed and
> no customer data has been affected.

<cough>
Cloudflare
https://www.cloudflare.com/ddos/
</cough>

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
It looks like the option to generate offline activation files is version
specific, but if it were me I think I'd generate files for the version I
was most likely to install and carry them on a usb stick and/or add them to
a place I could get to them on a droplet that I could easily spin up if
needed.  The usb stick (complete with installers?) would be a great choice
simply because no matter how good the remote activation site is, if the
internet drops at your location, you can still get things running using a
sneakernet usb.

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/15/2018 01:47 AM, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately we¹ve been the subject of a spate of sustained, intensive
>> hacking attempts. We had a series of incidents the other week and the last
>> couple of days has been a new round of attempts from a different angle.
>> We¹ve fought them off yet again, but some of our team are very tired.
>> Heather for one was up half the night. The systems are well designed and
>> no customer data has been affected.
>>

> <cough>
> Cloudflare
> https://www.cloudflare.com/ddos/
> </cough>
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Did you check your account to see if it was available? The server was not down last night for more than about 60 seconds (as I well know, being awake for large portions of it). The message you saw sounds like the standard could not contact server message, meaning you need an offline license file. It doesn't mean the server is down. If you were installing a version older than 6.0 you will always get this message and always require an offline file. For info on how to do it:

http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode <http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode>

Regards,

Heather

> On 15 Feb 2018, at 17:12, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02/14/2018 11:57 PM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode wrote:
> > What Heather told me the last time this happened was to:
> >
> > a) disconnect your development machine from the internet
> > b) launch LiveCode (it opens in offline mode)
> > c) reconnect your development machine to the internet
> > d) continue making awesome apps with LC
>
> Dave-
>
> Thanks, yes, but this was a different situation. I was trying to install a new version in a new system, so I needed to install a license.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/15/2018 09:28 AM, Heather Laine via use-livecode wrote:
> Did you check your account to see if it was available? The server was not down last night for more than about 60 seconds (as I well know, being awake for large portions of it). The message you saw sounds like the standard could not contact server message, meaning you need an offline license file. It doesn't mean the server is down. If you were installing a version older than 6.0 you will always get this message and always require an offline file. For info on how to do it:
>
> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode <http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode>

Thanks for the patronizing tone, Heather.

"check your account"? The web sites were down for several hours.
Yes, that message was after online activation didn't work and I then
couldn't generate an offline license because *the web sites were down*.
And this was installing a new copy of 9.0dp11. I finally copied a
license file from another machine and put it into place.

Re: Livecode.com server down

On 02/15/2018 09:27 AM, Mike Bonner via use-livecode wrote:
> It looks like the option to generate offline activation files is version
> specific, but if it were me I think I'd generate files for the version I
> was most likely to install and carry them on a usb stick and/or add them to
> a place I could get to them on a droplet that I could easily spin up if
> needed.  The usb stick (complete with installers?) would be a great choice
> simply because no matter how good the remote activation site is, if the
> internet drops at your location, you can still get things running using a
> sneakernet usb.

Yep. GMTA. I ended up doing something quite similar.

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have problems with mu ISP about once every 4 or 5 months:

It is NEVER their fault: it's because I use Linux, because I use
FreeDOS, because I use Macintosh,
because I am "stupid" enough not to use Windows; it's because I have 2
computers within 3 feet of
each other, it's because my hair is orange (OK, OK, I made that one up).

This IS the way the world goes round these days: nobody will accept
responisibility for their
mistakes.

After loads of "kicking" my ISP generally send someone round to look at
my cable modem:
these are always men who "go all funny" because they have to ask me how
to use Firefox or Safari
to get to the "innards" of either my modem or my switch.

One said to me, just before the New Year; "You wouldn't have these
problems if you used Windows".

Which is palpable 'Bollo': the sneering tone didn't help much.

The bloke tried to wiggle his way out of things even more when my wife
pointed out
that our 2 Android ARM phones and my Android Intel tablet couldn't pick
up a wifi
signal either.

Of course the above has got NOTHING to do with LiveCode: heaven forfend
that anyone
suggest that they are capable of being rude or otherwise . . .

Richmond.

On 15/2/2018 11:15 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 02/15/2018 09:28 AM, Heather Laine via use-livecode wrote:
>> Did you check your account to see if it was available? The server was
>> not down last night for more than about 60 seconds (as I well know,
>> being awake for large portions of it). The message you saw sounds
>> like the standard could not contact server message, meaning you need
>> an offline license file. It doesn't mean the server is down. If you
>> were installing a version older than 6.0 you will always get this
>> message and always require an offline file. For info on how to do it:
>>
>> http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode
>> <http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4072/l/20027-how-do-i-manually-activate-livecode>
>>

> Thanks for the patronizing tone, Heather.
>
> "check your account"? The web sites were down for several hours.
> Yes, that message was after online activation didn't work and I then
> couldn't generate an offline license because *the web sites were down*.
> And this was installing a new copy of 9.0dp11. I finally copied a
> license file from another machine and put it into place.

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
I have a USB stick full of off-line activation licences all the way back
to 7.1.4 as I have
a variety of computers in various places in our flat, and one in our
country cottage, that are not internet enabled.

Richmond.

On 02/15/2018 01:37 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> I have a USB stick full of off-line activation licences all the way back
> to 7.1.4 as I have
> a variety of computers in various places in our flat, and one in our
> country cottage, that are not internet enabled.

...and here's the problem with that: if you need to install LC on a
computer, it's *your* license you'll be using, with *your* permissions.

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Well, in my case they ARE all my computers, and only I ever use them for

LiveCode programming.

Richmond.

On 02/15/2018 01:35 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> This IS the way the world goes round these days: nobody will accept
> responisibility for their
> mistakes.

...backing down a bit on this...
The whole LC team has been through a harrowing couple of days dealing
with this, and it's not "their mistakes". Yes, this does have, in some
cases severe, repercussions for us and there are ways to ameliorate the
problem (failover servers in different regions, for instance, something
easy to accomplish with aws). But pointing the finger at RunRev for a
dDos attack isn't fair.

> One said to me, just before the New Year; "You wouldn't have these
> problems if you used Windows".

Heh. Yep. You'd have *different* problems.

Re: Livecode.com server down

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Folks. I think I'm due to issue an apology for the tone I used. I did not intend it to come over the way it did, I'm sorry.

Let us move on. Any lessons that can be learned, will be learned, we never stand still on these things.

Best Regards to all

Heather