Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

BNig
Dear List,

those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.

Rolf Kocherhans and I ran into this problem and we found a solution that I would like to share.
Apparently Revmobile in its current version prerelease 15 has trouble with Unicode and the iOS.

The solution is to add a handler to the field:

---------------------------
on rawKeyUp
   -- works for french, spanish, german and maybe some other languages
   -- does not work with eastern european languages
   put uniDecode ((the uniCodeText of me),"ANSI") into me
   select after me
   pass rawKeyUp
end rawKeyUp
--------------------------

Please be careful if you want to copy this script into your field script. As of Livecode version 4.5 there is a bug that inserts ASCII 202 non breaking space into the copied text in the script editor that keeps this from working on the iPhone. You either type the script manually or copy it into a text editor first, convert it to text only (removing all formatting) and then you can paste it into the script editor.

The above script gives you the text you expect. It is the usual Mac text as far as the hight ASCII values are concerned.

You have to put it into a on rawKeyUp handler since it does not work in on keyUp handler because for reasons unknown to me an accented character on the iOS does not trigger the keyUp message, only the rawKeyUp message. Took me a while to figures that one out.

Hope this might be of help to the 'hight ASCII' language people. (Unless you want to brush up your chinese) :)

regards

Bernd

Re: Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

Harald Müller
Hi Bernd,

many thanks for the script! I didn't try "ANSI" and now it works. Great.

You are referring to prerelease version 15. The last one I got was 14,
are you member of the developer program? Are there any relevant steps
between 14 and 15, you could (and are allowed to) talk about?

Herzliche Grüße,
Harald Müller.

Am 27.11.2010 um 01:18 schrieb BNig:

> Dear List,
>
> those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use
> accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that
> entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character
> the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.
>
> Rolf Kocherhans and I ran into this problem and we found a solution that I
> would like to share.
> Apparently Revmobile in its current version prerelease 15 has trouble with
> Unicode and the iOS.
>
> The solution is to add a handler to the field:
>
> ---------------------------
> on rawKeyUp
>   -- works for french, spanish, german and maybe some other languages
>   -- does not work with eastern european languages
>   put uniDecode ((the uniCodeText of me),"ANSI") into me
>   select after me
>   pass rawKeyUp
> end rawKeyUp
> --------------------------
>
> Please be careful if you want to copy this script into your field script. As
> of Livecode version 4.5 there is a bug that inserts ASCII 202 non breaking
> space into the copied text in the script editor that keeps this from working
> on the iPhone. You either type the script manually or copy it into a text
> editor first, convert it to text only (removing all formatting) and then you
> can paste it into the script editor.
>
> The above script gives you the text you expect. It is the usual Mac text as
> far as the hight ASCII values are concerned.
>
> You have to put it into a on rawKeyUp handler since it does not work in on
> keyUp handler because for reasons unknown to me an accented character on the
> iOS does not trigger the keyUp message, only the rawKeyUp message. Took me a
> while to figures that one out.
>
> Hope this might be of help to the 'hight ASCII' language people. (Unless you
> want to brush up your chinese) :)
>
> regards
>
> Bernd

Re: Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

BNig
Hi Harald,

>many thanks for the script! I didn't try "ANSI" and now it works. Great.

Yeah, it feels a lot better than german-chinese :)

>You are referring to prerelease version 15. The last one I got was 14,

I bought into the mobile option just like anybody else who is using it. It did say prerelease 14 on the zip but on the mobile plug-in at the bottom right it says 4.0.0-prerelease-15 (2010-11-12).
The version I used before was 10, then I forgot to check in my account the appropriate checkbox to stay informed and Heather sent me the link as the current version when I asked her.
I dont know of any differences.

Herzliche Grüße / Kind regards

Bernd
Harald Müller wrote
Hi Bernd,

many thanks for the script! I didn't try "ANSI" and now it works. Great.

You are referring to prerelease version 15. The last one I got was 14,
are you member of the developer program? Are there any relevant steps
between 14 and 15, you could (and are allowed to) talk about?

Herzliche Grüße,
Harald Müller.

Am 27.11.2010 um 01:18 schrieb BNig:

> Dear List,
>
> those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use
> accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that
> entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character
> the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.
>
> Rolf Kocherhans and I ran into this problem and we found a solution that I
> would like to share.
> Apparently Revmobile in its current version prerelease 15 has trouble with
> Unicode and the iOS.
>
> The solution is to add a handler to the field:
>
> ---------------------------
> on rawKeyUp
>   -- works for french, spanish, german and maybe some other languages
>   -- does not work with eastern european languages
>   put uniDecode ((the uniCodeText of me),"ANSI") into me
>   select after me
>   pass rawKeyUp
> end rawKeyUp
> --------------------------
>
> Please be careful if you want to copy this script into your field script. As
> of Livecode version 4.5 there is a bug that inserts ASCII 202 non breaking
> space into the copied text in the script editor that keeps this from working
> on the iPhone. You either type the script manually or copy it into a text
> editor first, convert it to text only (removing all formatting) and then you
> can paste it into the script editor.
>
> The above script gives you the text you expect. It is the usual Mac text as
> far as the hight ASCII values are concerned.
>
> You have to put it into a on rawKeyUp handler since it does not work in on
> keyUp handler because for reasons unknown to me an accented character on the
> iOS does not trigger the keyUp message, only the rawKeyUp message. Took me a
> while to figures that one out.
>
> Hope this might be of help to the 'hight ASCII' language people. (Unless you
> want to brush up your chinese) :)
>
> regards
>
> Bernd

Re: Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

Harald Müller
Hi Bernd,

thanks again. My version 14 is from 2010-11-10, I should ask the
support if this two-day-step makes a significant difference before
I submit the app (I will end in the spam folder with all my questions.)

"German-chinese" sounds sweet when you hear it out there, but
it looks strange in a text field, you are right :)

Best regards,
Harald.

Am 27.11.2010 um 02:20 schrieb BNig:

> [...]
>>> can paste it into the script editor.
>>>
>>> The above script gives you the text you expect. It is the usual Mac text
>>> as
>>> far as the hight ASCII values are concerned.
>>>
>>> You have to put it into a on rawKeyUp handler since it does not work in
>>> on
>>> keyUp handler because for reasons unknown to me an accented character on
>>> the
>>> iOS does not trigger the keyUp message, only the rawKeyUp message. Took
>>> me a
>>> while to figures that one out.
>>>
>>> Hope this might be of help to the 'hight ASCII' language people. (Unless
>>> you
>>> want to brush up your chinese) :)
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> Bernd

Re: Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

J. Landman Gay
On 11/26/10 6:18 PM, BNig wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use
> accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that
> entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character
> the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.
>
> Rolf Kocherhans and I ran into this problem and we found a solution that I
> would like to share.
> Apparently Revmobile in its current version prerelease 15 has trouble with
> Unicode and the iOS.
>
> The solution is to add a handler to the field:

This one's been fixed for the next release, so you won't need the
handler pretty soon.

Re: Livecode mobile: accented chars and umlauts on iPhone

BNig
Hi Jaque,

thanks for the info. Glad it will be fixed. (though it was fun to try to find a workaround) :)

regards

Bernd
J. Landman Gay wrote
On 11/26/10 6:18 PM, BNig wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> those of you that live in 'high ASCII' countries with languages that use
> accented characters and umlauts and develop for iOS will notice that
> entering an accented character in a field and then a 'low ASCII" character
> the text will turn to chinese characters. This might not be what you expect.
--snip--

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque@hyperactivesw.com