Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Dear all,

I have a question.   It's not a very important question and I don’t want to bother you y 'all, so if you think is off-topic, feel free to not to respond,  I'm just curious.

I've been working with Livecode for almost five years, and I never saw a LiveCode server  "UNIX" version.

The LiveCode Wikipedia’s article says this: LiveCode runs on iOS, Android, OS X, Windows 95 through Windows 10, Raspberry Pi and "several variations of Unix (I think is just means Linux)".

I'm thinking about tinkering with a FreeBSD server and LiveCode server,  but I didn't see a "UNIX" version, so I suppose that I have to compile it.
Have any of you installed LiveCode server on FreeBSD (or Solaris)?

I'm just thinking, but maybe there's a small niche working  with LiveCode server on BSD or Solaris (still many companies use them and not many people develop software for this platforms nowadays).
We have a few companies in Spain (my country) still using Solaris or BSD servers (mainly in the Graphic arts business).

PS, I currently work with LiveCode Server on Centos, but it could be interesting  to test it in FreeBSD.

Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement

Heriberto Torrado
​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
​Director de informática
Directeur informatique

https://networkdreams.net

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
 Hi Heriberto

Back in the day (20 years ago) the engine/IDE ran on FreeBSD and various
proprietary unixes.

The Linux server version has been seen to work on FreeBSD back in 2011
(after installing Linux compatibility layer).

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Yay-Victory-RevServer-runs-on-FreeBSD-with-Linux-Compat-installed-td3445454.html

You _might_ be able to get that to work now.  I doubt it would be supported
by Livecode.  What amazes me nowadays is just how much more complex things
are than they were 20 years ago - looking at the compatibility matrix for
Livecode dependencies on OS version, XCode version, device version -- all
just to produce apps that run on iOS:

https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/

If someone had said 20 years ago that a small company in Scotland could
manage that kind of complexity people would have laughed in disbelief.  But
rightly LC saw where the future was headed with mobile computing and they
obviously had to make sacrifices along the way (e.g. FreeBSD, etc) to be in
a situation to take on this level of complexity.

HTH Bernard

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question.   It's not a very important question and I don’t want
> to bother you y 'all, so if you think is off-topic, feel free to not to
> respond,  I'm just curious.
>
> I've been working with Livecode for almost five years, and I never saw a
> LiveCode server  "UNIX" version.
>
> The LiveCode Wikipedia’s article says this: LiveCode runs on iOS, Android,
> OS X, Windows 95 through Windows 10, Raspberry Pi and "several variations
> of Unix (I think is just means Linux)".
>
> I'm thinking about tinkering with a FreeBSD server and LiveCode server,
> but I didn't see a "UNIX" version, so I suppose that I have to compile it.
> Have any of you installed LiveCode server on FreeBSD (or Solaris)?
>
> I'm just thinking, but maybe there's a small niche working  with LiveCode
> server on BSD or Solaris (still many companies use them and not many people
> develop software for this platforms nowadays).
> We have a few companies in Spain (my country) still using Solaris or BSD
> servers (mainly in the Graphic arts business).
>
> PS, I currently work with LiveCode Server on Centos, but it could be
> interesting  to test it in FreeBSD.
>
> Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement
>
> Heriberto Torrado
> ​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
> ​Director de informática
> Directeur informatique
>
> https://networkdreams.net

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
"But rightly LC saw where the future was headed with mobile computing
and they obviously had to make sacrifices along the way (e.g. FreeBSD, etc)"

That sounds super if it were true, but I don't think it is as RunRev (as
they then were) dropped support for SPARC, UNIX and so
forth a long time before they began work on mobile platforms.

Richmond.

On 16.10.20 10:55, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode wrote:

>   Hi Heriberto
>
> Back in the day (20 years ago) the engine/IDE ran on FreeBSD and various
> proprietary unixes.
>
> The Linux server version has been seen to work on FreeBSD back in 2011
> (after installing Linux compatibility layer).
>
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Yay-Victory-RevServer-runs-on-FreeBSD-with-Linux-Compat-installed-td3445454.html
>
> You _might_ be able to get that to work now.  I doubt it would be supported
> by Livecode.  What amazes me nowadays is just how much more complex things
> are than they were 20 years ago - looking at the compatibility matrix for
> Livecode dependencies on OS version, XCode version, device version -- all
> just to produce apps that run on iOS:
>
> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
>
> If someone had said 20 years ago that a small company in Scotland could
> manage that kind of complexity people would have laughed in disbelief.  But
> rightly LC saw where the future was headed with mobile computing and they
> obviously had to make sacrifices along the way (e.g. FreeBSD, etc) to be in
> a situation to take on this level of complexity.
>
> HTH Bernard
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have a question.   It's not a very important question and I don’t want
>> to bother you y 'all, so if you think is off-topic, feel free to not to
>> respond,  I'm just curious.
>>
>> I've been working with Livecode for almost five years, and I never saw a
>> LiveCode server  "UNIX" version.
>>
>> The LiveCode Wikipedia’s article says this: LiveCode runs on iOS, Android,
>> OS X, Windows 95 through Windows 10, Raspberry Pi and "several variations
>> of Unix (I think is just means Linux)".
>>
>> I'm thinking about tinkering with a FreeBSD server and LiveCode server,
>> but I didn't see a "UNIX" version, so I suppose that I have to compile it.
>> Have any of you installed LiveCode server on FreeBSD (or Solaris)?
>>
>> I'm just thinking, but maybe there's a small niche working  with LiveCode
>> server on BSD or Solaris (still many companies use them and not many people
>> develop software for this platforms nowadays).
>> We have a few companies in Spain (my country) still using Solaris or BSD
>> servers (mainly in the Graphic arts business).
>>
>> PS, I currently work with LiveCode Server on Centos, but it could be
>> interesting  to test it in FreeBSD.
>>
>> Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement
>>
>> Heriberto Torrado
>> ​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
>> ​Director de informática
>> Directeur informatique
>>
>> https://networkdreams.net

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Which is why my sentence finishes with "... to be in a situation to take on
this level of complexity." :-)

Apple first bought the domain iphone.org in 1999. That the iPhone was under
development was even being discussed by mainstream media such as the New
York Times in 2002. The public availability of the iPhone was announced by
Apple at the start of January 2007. Those with an ear to the ground would
have been considering their future options between 2002 and 2007. I'm glad
they had the foresight I didn't have.

Kind regards,
Bernard

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM Richmond via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That sounds super if it were true, but I don't think it is as RunRev (as
> they then were) dropped support for SPARC, UNIX and so
> forth a long time before they began work on mobile platforms.
>
> Richmond.

Detect if video was completed?

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
I have an HTML5/Javascript video player that
plays a video and displays the video duration
and current play time, using LiveCode Server.

I want to know when the current time
equals the duration time so I can then invoke a
LiveCode process that makes a note that
the video was fully played so I can unlock
another webpage to be viewed.

I think I need a way to get the current time
and video duration values of the javascript
into LiveCode variables.

Any ideas how I could do this?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Barnand, Thanks for your kindly response

"What amazes me nowadays is just how much more complex things
are than they were 20 years ago"

Yes,that's the main problem today.

Regardless of the programming language, nowadays we have to deal with desktops, mobiles, servers, etc. and that is crazy.

In the web design world, they "fixed" it using CSS + HTML + JS + SQL + "insert your favorite server language here", but that is also a mess too.

I miss the old days: Just Desktop & servers.:-(

As you said: I don't know how runrev (Livecode) can deal with that complexity level.
Five different platforms and 32 & 64 bits.

I'll try the Linux compatibility layer. I think the latest Solaris versions have it too.

Best,
Hery//

On 10/16/20 3:55 AM, Bernard Devlin via use-livecode wrote:

>   Hi Heriberto
>
> Back in the day (20 years ago) the engine/IDE ran on FreeBSD and various
> proprietary unixes.
>
> The Linux server version has been seen to work on FreeBSD back in 2011
> (after installing Linux compatibility layer).
>
> http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Yay-Victory-RevServer-runs-on-FreeBSD-with-Linux-Compat-installed-td3445454.html
>
> You _might_ be able to get that to work now.  I doubt it would be supported
> by Livecode.  What amazes me nowadays is just how much more complex things
> are than they were 20 years ago - looking at the compatibility matrix for
> Livecode dependencies on OS version, XCode version, device version -- all
> just to produce apps that run on iOS:
>
> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
>
> If someone had said 20 years ago that a small company in Scotland could
> manage that kind of complexity people would have laughed in disbelief.  But
> rightly LC saw where the future was headed with mobile computing and they
> obviously had to make sacrifices along the way (e.g. FreeBSD, etc) to be in
> a situation to take on this level of complexity.
>
> HTH Bernard
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 5:08 PM Heriberto Torrado via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have a question.   It's not a very important question and I don’t want
>> to bother you y 'all, so if you think is off-topic, feel free to not to
>> respond,  I'm just curious.
>>
>> I've been working with Livecode for almost five years, and I never saw a
>> LiveCode server  "UNIX" version.
>>
>> The LiveCode Wikipedia’s article says this: LiveCode runs on iOS, Android,
>> OS X, Windows 95 through Windows 10, Raspberry Pi and "several variations
>> of Unix (I think is just means Linux)".
>>
>> I'm thinking about tinkering with a FreeBSD server and LiveCode server,
>> but I didn't see a "UNIX" version, so I suppose that I have to compile it.
>> Have any of you installed LiveCode server on FreeBSD (or Solaris)?
>>
>> I'm just thinking, but maybe there's a small niche working  with LiveCode
>> server on BSD or Solaris (still many companies use them and not many people
>> develop software for this platforms nowadays).
>> We have a few companies in Spain (my country) still using Solaris or BSD
>> servers (mainly in the Graphic arts business).
>>
>> PS, I currently work with LiveCode Server on Centos, but it could be
>> interesting  to test it in FreeBSD.
>>
>> Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement
>>
>> Heriberto Torrado
>> ​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
>> ​Director de informática
>> Directeur informatique
>>
>> https://networkdreams.net

Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement

Heriberto Torrado
​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
​Director de informática
Directeur informatique

*NetDreams S.C.*
http://www.networkdreams.net <http://www.networkdreams.net>

  Address / Dirección / Adresse:​

*USA: *538 East 85th Street, #1C Manhattan NY, NY 10028 USA
*Europe / Europa: *Paseo de la Castellana 135 10ª Planta Madrid 28024
Spain / España

*Tel - Phone - Fax:*

Phone / Tel USA : +1 917 287 5644 / +1 646 596 8787
Phone / Tel Spain :+34 627 556 500 / + 34 91 063 74 48

    Please consider the environment before printing this email / Por
favor considera tu responsabilidad medioambiental antes de imprimir esta
página.

Confidentiality: The information contained in this message as well as
the attached file(s) is confidential/privileged and is only intended for
the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, or you have received
this comunication in error, please be aware that any dissemination,
distribution or duplication is strictly prohibited, and can be illegal,
and please notify us immediately and return the original message to us
at the address above. Thank you.

Confidencialidad: La información contenida en este mensaje y/o
archivo(s) adjunto(s) es confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a
ser leída sólo por la(s) persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted
lee este mensaje y no es el destinatario señalado, el empleado o el
agente responsable de entregar el mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido
esta comunicación por error, le informamos que está totalmente
prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier divulgación, distribución o
reproducción de esta comunicación, y le rogamos que nos lo notifique
inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje original a la dirección arriba
mencionada. Gracias.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to insure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus
free.

Virus: Aunque hemos tomado las medidas para asegurarnos que este correo
electrónico y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus, le
recomendamos que a efectos de mantener buenas prácticas de seguridad, el
receptor debe asegurarse que este correo y sus ficheros adjuntos están
libres de virus.

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

I think it's because since the early 2000's, Linux is the UNIX-like
standard platform in the world, and maybe Runrev realized that it is not
worth it to put more effort into other UNIX platforms rather than Linux

It is a pity because now, Linux runs on 90% of the internet servers.
I love Linux, but monopolies are not good (even "free" monopolies).

Solaris, AIX and HP-UX are almost dead and BSDs and illumos derivations
are decaying day by day.

There are still some companies using them in Spain, but they lack
technicians, so they are stepping on the gas to get rid of them.
There are still some grey beards that refuse to toss them away, and
maybe there are some opportunities working with them.

Still here in the US there are many governmental apartments using them.

Sadly, UNIX is part of a world that no longer exists.

Nice an updated reading:
https://www.unixsheikh.com/articles/freebsd-is-an-amazing-operating-system.html

Best,
Hery

On 10/17/20 2:44 PM, Richmond via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]

computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus
free.

Virus: Aunque hemos tomado las medidas para asegurarnos que este correo
electrónico y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus, le
recomendamos que a efectos de mantener buenas prácticas de seguridad, el
receptor debe asegurarse que este correo y sus ficheros adjuntos están
libres de virus.

Re: Livecode server UNIX version (not Linux).

Ralph DiMola via use-livecode

> OS X, Windows 95 through Windows 10, Raspberry Pi and "several variations
> of Unix (I think is just means Linux)".
>
> I'm thinking about tinkering with a FreeBSD server and LiveCode server,
> but I didn't see a "UNIX" version, so I suppose that I have to compile it.
> Have any of you installed LiveCode server on FreeBSD (or Solaris)?

As others mentioned, this is dated information. However, last I checked
macOS (or rather the "Darwin" layer of macOS) is POSIX compliant and built
from BSD UNIX 4.4 & bits of FreeBSD. So, I would not be all that surprised
if a LiveCode for macOS GUI-less/CLI executable could run on some other BSD.