Load URL doesn't send message

J. Landman Gay
I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't get
a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:

  load url tURL with message "myMsg"

No message is sent. Is it just me?

RE: Load URL doesn't send message

MisterX
Hi Jacque,

Works fine in the DiscreteBrowser...

on windows... But first i tried, it crashed rev...
grrr at least something is not working :)

Xav

Sarah Reichelt
> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>
>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>
> No message is sent. Is it just me?

It's working for me, with the same version. Do you get anything if
you check "the result" right after the "load" command?
Is there an restriction about where the callback handler has to be? I
always put it in the same object, but I don't know if that matters.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Brian Yennie
Jacque,

I've seen this happen occasionally, but it has been the exception and
not the rule. What I can say is that libURL will sometimes error out in
"load url" and never send the message even though it should. The only
way I've found to deal with this is to monitor the openSockets myself
and assume that if the socket for that URL closes and I still haven't
heard anything, there was an error.

HTH,

- Brian

Brian Yennie wrote:
 > Jacque,
 >
 > I've seen this happen occasionally, but it has been the exception and
 > not the rule. What I can say is that libURL will sometimes error out in
 > "load url" and never send the message even though it should. The only
 > way I've found to deal with this is to monitor the openSockets myself
 > and assume that if the socket for that URL closes and I still haven't
 > heard anything, there was an error.

I've got more info now. I am using a status-checking handler that looks
at the urlstatus and updates a progress bar if the status is "loading".
If I run that handler, I get no message sent when the loading is done.

If I comment out that handler and ignore the status, then I get a
message sent. Mostly. Sometimes it doesn't work. My last 10 tests or so,
nothing worked at all; I'm getting empty status back and no file. Of
course, if I don't use the status handler, then I can't update the
progress bar.

My compromise is to call the message myself when the status is "cached"
and that seems to work okay. But I can't figure out why no message is
sent by libURL.

Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
>> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>>
>>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>>
>> No message is sent. Is it just me?
>>
> It's working for me, with the same version. Do you get anything if  you
> check "the result" right after the "load" command?

No, it's empty.

> Is there an restriction about where the callback handler has to be? I
> always put it in the same object, but I don't know if that matters.

The libURL docs say it needs to be in the same script, and mine is.

What handlers are you using? Do you do a urlStatus check with a progress
bar? That seems to be part of the problem, near as I can tell. Of
course, I could be doing something dumb.

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Sarah Reichelt
>>> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and
>>> can't  get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>>>
>>>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>>>
>>> No message is sent. Is it just me?
>>>

>> It's working for me, with the same version. Do you get anything
>> if  you check "the result" right after the "load" command?
>
> What handlers are you using? Do you do a urlStatus check with a
> progress bar? That seems to be part of the problem, near as I can
> tell. Of course, I could be doing something dumb.

No, in the tests I was doing I just did the load with no progress
checking, but I've just tried 2 different methods and they both worked.

Method 1:

on mouseUp
   put "http://www.whatismyip.com/" into sURL
   libURLSetStatusCallback "showProgress", the long ID of me
   load URL sURL with message gotPage
end doCheck

on showProgress  pURL, pStatus
   put the ticks && pStatus
end showProgress

on gotPage pURL, pStatus
   beep
   libURLSetStatusCallback
   -- do other processing
end gotPage

Method 2:

on mouseUp
   put "http://www.whatismyip.com/" into sURL
   load URL sURL with message gotPage
   showProgress
end doCheck

on showProgress
   put the URLStatus of sURL into tStatus
   put the ticks && tStatus
   if tStatus <> empty then send showProgress to me in 2 ticks
end showProgress

on gotPage pURL, pStatus
   beep
   -- do other processing
end gotPage

Both of these beeped as expected when the "gotPage" message arrived.
I see that you put your callback name in quotes & I don't. Yours
looks more correct, but it couldn't be doing weird things, could it?

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jacque,

I found this thread this morning.
As for me I don't use libUrl for downloading urls from the web.
As you mentioned it, I do prefer to run my own pending message,
checking the urlStatus until it's "cached" (and updating a progress
bar).
I send the message every 10 milliseconds since I noticed that it was
necessary with light files/broadband connection.
To write my "Retrieving data from the web" tutorial, I tried many
methods: this one appeared the most reliable.

My two cents.

Le 29 juil. 05 à 04:33, J. Landman Gay a écrit :

> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Richard Gaskin
Eric Chatonet wrote:
> Hi Jacque,
>
> I found this thread this morning.
> As for me I don't use libUrl for downloading urls from the web.

You wrote your own custom HTTP socket handlers?

What problems did you find with libURL's convenient one-liners to
warrant so much work?

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Eric Chatonet
Hi Richard,

Thanks God, no!
I just said that I did not use libUrl but I do use the load command
and run my own pending message: not too much work :-)
More transparent, more debuggable if needed...

Le 29 juil. 05 à 08:51, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> Eric Chatonet wrote:
>
>> Hi Jacque,
>> I found this thread this morning.
>> As for me I don't use libUrl for downloading urls from the web.
>>

> You wrote your own custom HTTP socket handlers?
>
> What problems did you find with libURL's convenient one-liners to
> warrant so much work?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Eric Chatonet wrote:

 > Le 29 juil. 05 à 08:51, Richard Gaskin a écrit :
 >
 >> Eric Chatonet wrote:
 >>> As for me I don't use libUrl for downloading urls from the web.
 >>
 >> You wrote your own custom HTTP socket handlers?
 >>
 >> What problems did you find with libURL's convenient one-liners to
 >> warrant so much work?
 >
 > Thanks God, no!
 > I just said that I did not use libUrl but I do use the load
 > command  and run my own pending message: not too much work :-)
 > More transparent, more debuggable if needed...

Ah, semantics:  the load command uses libURL, so you're still
benefitting from Dave Cragg's excellent library even without calling its
more specialized handlers directly.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Dave Cragg

On 29 Jul 2005, at 07:57, Eric Chatonet wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks God, no!
> I just said that I did not use libUrl but I do use the load command
> and run my own pending message: not too much work :-)
> More transparent, more debuggable if needed...
>
> Le 29 juil. 05 à 08:51, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

Actually, load url (and get url, delete url, etc.) uses libUrl for
http and ftp urls. The engine calls the library directly. I'm afraid
you're using it whether you want to or not. No escape. :-)

Jacque, concerning your problem, I've just woken up and haven't had
time to look at it. But if you have any more useful information,
please send it and I'll take a look.

Cheers
Dave_______________________________________________

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Eric Chatonet
Hi Dave,

I don't wish to escape such an essential work :-)
I Richard pointed it out, sometimes I don't use "lib" prefixed ones
in order, for instance, to use a "send" delay longer than 1
millisecond :-)

Le 29 juil. 05 à 09:48, Dave Cragg a écrit :

> Actually, load url (and get url, delete url, etc.) uses libUrl for
> http and ftp urls. The engine calls the library directly. I'm
> afraid you're using it whether you want to or not. No escape. :-)

Don't worry, Rev would be a tiny app without your lib.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

On 29 Jul 2005, at 03:33, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>
>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>
> No message is sent. Is it just me?

It's just you, Jacque. I'm going back to bed.

Just kidding!

Obvious things first:

Have you spelled the message handler name correctly in your load call?

(Not that? Pity! )

The things that could cause the message not to be sent that I can
think of:

An "unload url" or clearing of  the pendingMessages after the message
has been sent but before it is handled. The likely place for this
kind of thing would be in the status callback handler. After a
succesful load, the final  callback message gets sent just before the
"load message", both sent in 0 milliseconds. So if your callback
handler does one of these things when the status is "downloaded", the
message won't get sent.

So I'd look at the callback handler first.

Cheers
Dave

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Eric Chatonet
Hi Dave,

I don't wish to escape such an essential work!
I Richard pointed it out, sometimes I don't use "lib" prefixed
handlers or functions in order, for instance, to use a "send" delay
longer than 1 millisecond :-)

Le 29 juil. 05 à 09:48, Dave Cragg a écrit :

> Actually, load url (and get url, delete url, etc.) uses libUrl for
> http and ftp urls. The engine calls the library directly. I'm
> afraid you're using it whether you want to or not. No escape. :-)

Be sure that Rev would be a tiny app without your lib.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

On 29 Jul 2005, at 09:37, Dave Cragg wrote:

> The things that could cause the message not to be sent that I can
> think of:
>
> An "unload url" or clearing of  the pendingMessages after the
> message has been sent but before it is handled. The likely place
> for this kind of thing would be in the status callback handler.
> After a succesful load, the final  callback message gets sent just
> before the "load message", both sent in 0 milliseconds. So if your
> callback handler does one of these things when the status is
> "downloaded", the message won't get sent.
>
> So I'd look at the callback handler first.

Another area to look at in your script would be just after the load
call. Anything there that might stop background scripts running (a
runaway repeat or a wait) or that might clear the pendingMessages or
unload the url could be an issue.

Cheers
Dave

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2005, at 03:33, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
>> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>>
>>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>>
>> No message is sent. Is it just me?
>

> It's just you, Jacque. I'm going back to bed.

Well, you're smarter than I am, because I've been at this for a couple
of days now without any progress. What I seem to be getting is lots of
empty status messages. What do those mean?

> The things that could cause the message not to be sent that I can  think
> of:
>
> An "unload url" or clearing of  the pendingMessages after the message
> has been sent but before it is handled. The likely place for this  kind
> of thing would be in the status callback handler. After a  succesful
> load, the final  callback message gets sent just before the  "load
> message", both sent in 0 milliseconds. So if your callback  handler does
> one of these things when the status is "downloaded", the  message won't
> get sent.
>
> So I'd look at the callback handler first.

I'm not doing either of those things so that isn't it.

What does it mean if the status is always empty? That is what I seem to
be getting. Then my status checking handler runs like mad but doesn't do
anything.

I've simplified my script a lot for testing. This is what I'm using at
the moment:

on downloadFile tURL
   unload url tURL -- just for testing, so I can reuse it
   load url tURL with message "saveFile"
   get the result
   if it <> "" then answer it
   checkStatus tURL
end downloadFile

on checkStatus tURL
   put urlStatus(tURL) into tStatus
   if tStatus contains "loading" then
     set the endValue of sb "progress" to item -1 of tStatus
     set the thumbPos of sb "progress" to item -2 of tStatus
   else
     put tStatus
   end if
   if tStatus is not among the items of "cached,error,timeout" then
     send "checkStatus" to me in 50 milliseconds
   end if
end checkStatus

on saveFile tURL,tStatus
   answer "SAVEFILE MESSAGE RECEIVED"
end saveFile

Nothing happens at all, except for the pending message that goes
repeatedly until I manually cancel it. Setting a breakpoint always shows
that tStatus is empty (which is why the script runs away with itself.)
The file doesn't come through usually. Sometimes it does.

It isn't my connection, because I can run RevNet or Eric's sample
tutorial and they work fine and their progress bars move. However,
neither of these use a callback message. I can make mine work too if I
don't use a callback message, and if I instead check for a "cached"
status and act on that.

Same behavior with any URL I try, including "http://www.google.com", so
it isn't the URL. Also, same behavior if I comment out the "checkStatus"
call and just wait for a confirmation from "saveFile". I don't get one.

On 29 Jul 2005, at 21:22, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I've simplified my script a lot for testing. This is what I'm using
> at the moment:
>
> on downloadFile tURL
>   unload url tURL -- just for testing, so I can reuse it
>   load url tURL with message "saveFile"
>   get the result
>   if it <> "" then answer it
>   checkStatus tURL
> end downloadFile
>
> on checkStatus tURL
>   put urlStatus(tURL) into tStatus
>   if tStatus contains "loading" then
>     set the endValue of sb "progress" to item -1 of tStatus
>     set the thumbPos of sb "progress" to item -2 of tStatus
>   else
>     put tStatus
>   end if
>   if tStatus is not among the items of "cached,error,timeout" then
>     send "checkStatus" to me in 50 milliseconds ###ERROR HERE
>   end if
> end checkStatus
>
> on saveFile tURL,tStatus
>   answer "SAVEFILE MESSAGE RECEIVED"
> end saveFile

It should be:

   send "checkStatus tURL" to me in 50 milliseconds

This would explain the empty status results.

However, even with that error, I was still seeing the final message
answer dialog. I gather you're not seeing that. Can you let me know
if you're still having problems.

Cheers
Dave

Re: Load URL doesn't send message

Eric Chatonet
If I dare ;-)

send "checkStatus" && tURL to me in 50 milliseconds

Jacque, note that 50 milliseconds might appear a bit slow with light
files and fast connection.
My two cents.

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Dave Cragg wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2005, at 03:33, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I'm using libURL 1.1.3b1 (apparently what ships with 2.6) and can't
>> get a message when the URL is done. I'm trying:
>>
>>  load url tURL with message "myMsg"
>>
>> No message is sent. Is it just me?

Updated info: I went over to MetaCard and ran the same test stack. Now I
do get a message from libURL, so it looks like there is something in Rev
2.6 that is blocking it. Meanwhile, in MetaCard, I altered my status
handler a bit so that it only reports non-empty status and it exits if
status is empty, like this:

on checkStatus tURL
   put urlStatus(tURL) into tStatus
   if tStatus contains "loading" then
     set the endValue of sb "progress" to item 3 of tStatus
     set the thumbPos of sb "progress" to item 2 of tStatus
     put tStatus into fld "status"
   else
     if tStatus <> "" then put tStatus into fld "status"
   end if
   if tStatus is not among the items of "cached,error,timeout" \
      and tStatus <> ""
   then send "checkStatus" to me in 50 milliseconds
end checkStatus

What I saw in the "status" field was "contacted" and nothing else. The
progress bar did not update, although the "saveFile" custom message was
sent by libURL at the end. I tried on various files of different sizes.
In MetaCard I always do get a cached file though, unlike in Rev.

Can anyone repeat this behavior? Or is it still just me?