Look and Feel, Metal texture -- Windows questions

Look and Feel, Metal texture -- Windows questions

Xplex
Hello!

I'm using Dreamcard in Windows XP, and have been trying the various  options
under "Look and Feel" in the "View" menu. I'm not sure what some of  the
options are supposed to look like, but I'm not really seeing much  difference after
choosing "Mac OS Platinum Emulated."

Am I not understanding what this menu option is supposed to do? Is it
supposed to cause my project to take on a Mac-like appearance, so I can make  sure
my cross-platform visual design bases are covered? The only difference I  see
is a slight 3D-ing of the edges of some of the controls. Does this sound
right? Shouldn't it be a much more drastic difference?

I'm also not clear on what the "Metal texture" checkbox in the stack
inspector is supposed to be doing -- it just flashes the project's window,  but
doesn't seem to change anything, that I can see. What effect is it supposed  to
have?

I've just started with Dreamcard for Windows, after having used  HyperCard
extensively many years ago, so many apologies if this is a dumb  newbie
question! :-)

Thanks!

CJ

Re: Look and Feel, Metal texture -- Windows questions

Sarah Reichelt
> I'm using Dreamcard in Windows XP, and have been trying the
> various  options
> under "Look and Feel" in the "View" menu. I'm not sure what some
> of  the
> options are supposed to look like, but I'm not really seeing much
> difference after
> choosing "Mac OS Platinum Emulated."
>
> Am I not understanding what this menu option is supposed to do? Is it
> supposed to cause my project to take on a Mac-like appearance, so I
> can make  sure
> my cross-platform visual design bases are covered? The only
> difference I  see
> is a slight 3D-ing of the edges of some of the controls. Does this
> sound
> right? Shouldn't it be a much more drastic difference?

This particular option is to make your stacks look as if they were
running under Mac OS 9 or earlier, not Mac OS X. You are right, it is
just to help you check the look when doing cross-platform
development, but it is not terribly useful. If possible, always check
your apps on the actual release platforms. If you can't get access to
the right sort of computer, ask the list for volunteers.

> I'm also not clear on what the "Metal texture" checkbox in the stack
> inspector is supposed to be doing -- it just flashes the project's
> window,  but
> doesn't seem to change anything, that I can see. What effect is it
> supposed  to
> have?
This is Mac OS X only, it has no effect on Windows, although I guess
setting it will redraw the window.

HTH,
Sarah