Quantcast

MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi All,

History - We use JAMF (Casper) as our MDM. Our math teachers have been using an app called Casper Focus which locks students into a particular web site for when they are giving  the students an assessment. JAMF no longer supports Casper Focus now that Apple has created the Classroom app. However, the Classroom app does not have the ability to lock students to a specific webs site, only to specific apps.

In comes LiveCode. I create a little secure web browser app that only goes to their, one,  math web site, and now teachers can use Apple Classroom and my app to secure students to  the app i created when giving their assessments.

Problem: I can upload the App just fine into JAMF and into the JAMF Self Service app. We use our Enterprise Apple Developer profile to create an iOS app in LiveCode. I then, because of past practice, create a folder and title it “Payload, “ drop the iOS app into the folder, compress the folder, and rename it my app.ipa.

A student iPad can see the app in their Self Service app, but when they go to install it reports it can’t download at this time.

Here is a little video demo:  https://youtu.be/--JJPUx3Zlg <https://youtu.be/--JJPUx3Zlg>

The app is not pretty, but it is functional. It is essentially a browser object with a little behind the scenes data gathering via mysql on its usage. The data is just for me to see how it’s being used.

Anybody distributed iOS apps via an MDM? Is there anything that has to be done beyond the Standalone Settings configuration window, i.e info.plist etc. etc?

If I can get this MDM distribution thing figured out, I hope to do more :)

Thank you!

Re: MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
On 4/5/17 5:17 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode wrote:
> A student iPad can see the app in their Self Service app, but when
> they go to install it reports it can’t download at this time.

I don't know if things are different with an Enterprise account, but in
my experience an app that partially downloads and then errors indicates
something wrong with the distribution profile.

Re: MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
I missed the start of this thread so I might be off target but the app needs to be server from a secure (https) server. If it isn’t and/or if your manifest file isn’t perfect then you will get that sort of message as well.

Terry...

On 6/04/2017 12:18 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On 4/5/17 5:17 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode wrote:
    > A student iPad can see the app in their Self Service app, but when
    > they go to install it reports it can’t download at this time.

    I don't know if things are different with an Enterprise account, but in
    my experience an app that partially downloads and then errors indicates
    something wrong with the distribution profile.

Re: MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
Thanks Terry and Jacqueline,

The file/app is being served via our MDM which is using https.

Terry, you mention that the manifest file has to be perfect, do you happen to know what that would look like? I have never tweaked the manifest file that gets created automatically.

I have been following Richard Miller’s challenges with getting his app into the regular app store so I know the info.plist file can be problematic, depending on what you are trying to do.  However, I’m not quite sure what a “perfect” plist file should look like. Someone else had mentioned being sure that I,…  "Call all the links on the plist and html with https,” but I’m not sure what that means.  It was pulled from this this stackoverflow conversation, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34820355/enterprise-app-installing-but-immediatelly-dissapears <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34820355/enterprise-app-installing-but-immediatelly-dissapears>, but I have  a hunch it is not the same problem as mine.

Let me know if I’ missing something in the plist file….

Thank you!

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I missed the start of this thread so I might be off target but the app needs to be server from a secure (https) server. If it isn’t and/or if your manifest file isn’t perfect then you will get that sort of message as well.
>
> Terry...
>
> On 6/04/2017 12:18 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    On 4/5/17 5:17 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode wrote:
>> A student iPad can see the app in their Self Service app, but when
>> they go to install it reports it can’t download at this time.
>
>    I don't know if things are different with an Enterprise account, but in
>    my experience an app that partially downloads and then errors indicates
>    something wrong with the distribution profile.
>
>    --
>    Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>    HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi All,

Since I don’t know what a proper manifest file (info.plist) should look like, other than what LiveCode creates via the standalone process, and I could not get my hands on one someone  is using for their apps in the JAMF MDM, I decided just to build an app in Xcode/Swift and extract its info.plist for comparison.

This also allowed me to check to make sure my cert and Enterprise Distribution  profile were correct. Apple has some FoodApp tutorials, I took one of their competed samples and compiled it into an app in Xcode with our Enterprise Developer profile. I was able to load it up into our JAMF MDM, assign it to a iPad in the MDM, and then download it from the Self Service app onto the targeted iPad. Apparently the profile is good.

When I look at the two info.list files, they were fairly similar, but it appears that LiveCode add a lot of keys that Xcode does when it compiles. I briefly tried to make the LiveCode info.plist appear more like the Xcode info.plist, and then try my app over with the new info.plist I modified. It still was not working for me. I was in a bit of a rush, so I will do it again with a little more care.

I have included both the info.plist from my app, and the info.plist from the Xcode “food app.”  Not sure if anything will jump out at anyone, but please let me know if so.

I am guessing that the LiveCode info.plist is what is fouling up the MDM delivery of my app.

Here they are:

MyOpenMath app info.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
        <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
        <string>English</string>
        <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
        <string>MyOpenMath</string>
        <key>CFBundleName</key>
        <string>MyOpenMath</string>
        <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
        <string>MyOpenMath</string>
        <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
        <string>com.sylvanapps.myopenmath</string>
        <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
        <string>6.0</string>
        <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
        <string>APPL</string>
        <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
        <string>????</string>

        <key>CFBundleSupportedPlatforms</key>
        <array>
                <string>iPhoneOS</string>
        </array>
        <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
        <string>1.0.2</string>
        <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
        <string>1.0.2</string>
        <key>CFBundleIconFiles</key>
        <array>
        </array>
        <key>UILaunchImages</key>
        <array>
                                <dict>
                        <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
                        <string>8.0</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
                        <string>Default-Portrait</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
                        <string>Portrait</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
                        <string>{768, 1024}</string>
                </dict>
                <dict>
                        <key>UILaunchImageMinimumOSVersion</key>
                        <string>8.0</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageName</key>
                        <string>Default-Landscape</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageOrientation</key>
                        <string>Landscape</string>
                        <key>UILaunchImageSize</key>
                        <string>{768, 1024}</string>
                </dict>

        </array>
        <key>DTCompiler</key>
        <string>com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0</string>
        <key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
        <string>12B411</string>
        <key>DTPlatformName</key>
        <string>iphoneos</string>
        <key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
        <string>8.1</string>
        <key>DTSDKBuild</key>
        <string>12B411</string>
        <key>DTSDKName</key>
        <string>iphoneos8.1</string>
        <key>DTXcode</key>
        <string>0610</string>
        <key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
        <string>6A1052c</string>
        <key>CFBundleDisplayName</key>
                <string>MyOpenMath</string>
        <key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
                <string>10.1</string>
        <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
        <array>
                <integer>2</integer>
        </array>

        <key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
        <dict>

        </dict>
        <key>UIRequiresPersistentWiFi</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIApplicationExitsOnSuspend</key>
                <true/>
        <key>UIInitialInterfaceOrientation</key>
                <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
        <key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations</key>
        <array>
                <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
        </array>
        <key>UIInitialInterfaceOrientation~ipad</key>
                <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
        <key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations~ipad</key>
        <array>
        </array>
        <key>UIBackgroundModes</key>
        <array>

        </array>
        <key>UIViewControllerBasedStatusBarAppearance</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIStatusBarHidden</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIStatusBarHidden~ipad</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIStatusBarStyle</key>
                <string>UIStatusBarStyleDefault</string>
        <key>com_livecode_StatusBarSolid</key>
                <false/>
        <key>com_livecode_UsesLocalNotifications</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIFileSharingEnabled</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIPrerenderedIcon</key>
                <false/>
        <key>UIAppFonts</key>
        <array>

        </array>
        <key>NSBluetoothPeripheralUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to Bluetooth</string>
        <key>NSCalendarsUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to the device's calendar</string>
        <key>NSCameraUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to the device's camera</string>
        <key>NSContactsUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to your Contacts</string>
        <key>NSMicrophoneUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to the device's microphone</string>
        <key>NSMotionUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to the device's accelerometer</string>
        <key>NSRemindersUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to your Reminders</string>
        <key>NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription</key>
        <string>This application requires access to Photo Library</string>
</dict>
</plist>

——————————————————————

Xcode Food App info.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>
    <string>FoodTracker</string>
    <key>DTXcode</key>
    <string>0820</string>
    <key>DTSDKName</key>
    <string>iphoneos10.2</string>
    <key>UILaunchStoryboardName</key>
    <string>LaunchScreen</string>
    <key>DTSDKBuild</key>
    <string>14C89</string>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>en</string>
    <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
    <string>1</string>
    <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
    <string>16E195</string>
    <key>DTPlatformName</key>
    <string>iphoneos</string>
    <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
    <string>APPL</string>
    <key>UIMainStoryboardFile</key>
    <string>Main</string>
    <key>CFBundleSupportedPlatforms</key>
    <array>
      <string>iPhoneOS</string>
    </array>
    <key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
    <string>1.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
    <array>
      <string>armv7</string>
    </array>
    <key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
    <string>FoodTracker</string>
    <key>DTCompiler</key>
    <string>com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0</string>
    <key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations~ipad</key>
    <array>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortraitUpsideDown</string>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>
    </array>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.sylvanapps.FoodTracker</string>
    <key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
    <string>10.0</string>
    <key>DTXcodeBuild</key>
    <string>8C38</string>
    <key>DTPlatformVersion</key>
    <string>10.2</string>
    <key>LSRequiresIPhoneOS</key>
    <true/>
    <key>UISupportedInterfaceOrientations</key>
    <array>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationPortrait</string>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeLeft</string>
      <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>
    </array>
    <key>UIDeviceFamily</key>
    <array>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <integer>2</integer>
    </array>
    <key>DTPlatformBuild</key>
    <string>14C89</string>
  </dict>
</plist>

Thank you!

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 8:28 AM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Terry and Jacqueline,
>
> The file/app is being served via our MDM which is using https.
>
> Terry, you mention that the manifest file has to be perfect, do you happen to know what that would look like? I have never tweaked the manifest file that gets created automatically.
>
> I have been following Richard Miller’s challenges with getting his app into the regular app store so I know the info.plist file can be problematic, depending on what you are trying to do.  However, I’m not quite sure what a “perfect” plist file should look like. Someone else had mentioned being sure that I,…  "Call all the links on the plist and html with https,” but I’m not sure what that means.  It was pulled from this this stackoverflow conversation, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34820355/enterprise-app-installing-but-immediatelly-dissapears <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34820355/enterprise-app-installing-but-immediatelly-dissapears>, but I have  a hunch it is not the same problem as mine.
>
> Let me know if I’ missing something in the plist file….
>

> Thank you!
>

>> On Apr 5, 2017, at 7:35 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I missed the start of this thread so I might be off target but the app needs to be server from a secure (https) server. If it isn’t and/or if your manifest file isn’t perfect then you will get that sort of message as well.
>>
>> Terry...
>>
>> On 6/04/2017 12:18 pm, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>   On 4/5/17 5:17 PM, JOHN PATTEN via use-livecode wrote:
>>> A student iPad can see the app in their Self Service app, but when
>>> they go to install it reports it can’t download at this time.
>>
>>   I don't know if things are different with an Enterprise account, but in
>>   my experience an app that partially downloads and then errors indicates
>>   something wrong with the distribution profile.
>>
>>   --
>>   Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>   HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: MDM and App deployment <little of topic>

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi John – it’s really just about making sure that all your urls are correct and match up in the html and manifest files. If that’s all ok (and you’re serving the files via https) then it’s more likely to be a provisioning problem.

Terry...