Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
I've been meaning to share this with the community for a while, but life
and work have been getting in the way. I haven't been able to work on it in
a while

I've been working on this widget for a while and it needs more work and
testing. Actually, this started off as a group of individual widgets, but
there was so much code overlap among them I decided to combine into one.
There are a number of fixes I still need to take care of and a number of
features I am still planning on adding. I am, however, already adding it to
programs with success. Going forward, I am working hard not to make
property or control changes that will break existing implementations (as
we've all done in the past), I already have a few systems in place to
prevent property calamities, so feel free to stat using if you like it.

Releasing under CC BY-SA 4.0 license.
This widget is a panel which can hold a variety of different kinds of
controls, each individually customizable. Any number of controls can be
added to the panel. Control types to date are:
-Button bar/grid: groups of buttons that can be used as action buttons
(posting a message), single selects (like radio buttons) or multiple
selects (similar to checkboxes)
-Button wheel: circular wheel with buttons and capabilities similar to the
button bar
-Switches: clicks a value true or false, animation pending, currently just
looks like a checkbox
-Sliders: you know, they slide and change a value
-Progress bars: essentially sliders with a handle to grasp
-Dialog/text box: one of those pesky little text displays telling you stuff
-Numeric Up/Down Adjusters: a value with 2 buttons that increment or
decrement said value
There are default properties for each control that will be used, however
each control (e.g. button, switch etc..) can be configured with its own
colors, icons, fonts and such.
Other features:
-"Bottom buttons" (a group of up to 3 buttons at the bottom of the widget
which can be used for "OK," "Cancel," and "Reset" type features. These
buttons post a message to be scripted by the user)
-Form backdrop  (essentially a set of labels on which you can add fields)
-Overlay mode (draws a box of a set size and then the rest of the widget is
transparent/translucent... when stretched across the entire card it forces
user input before anything else can be touched)
-Controls, color schemes and properties can be saved and loaded as "sets"
to allow one widget to quickly change what controls you are viewing
-SVG paths can be stored for use in controls

There are a plethora of other things I am working to add and enhance
including:
-allowing for a mix of control types in the same panel
-control pages with tabs to navigate through them
-Output display box, which can present some form of text, number,
calculation etc.. when there is interaction on the control panel
-need to find ways to optimize the code some more, especially in redrawing

The widget can be found here:
https://github.com/madpink/mp-livecode-controls

In addition to the source code, I have a packaged extension file and added
a "Control Test" stack which I've found helpful for trying to break things.

There is a wiki with instructions which I would also love feedback on. I've
already got a list of issues piling up as you will see. I have a planning
board that is full of my own idiosyncrasies and may not be intelligible to
normal people, so view at your own risk.

So far I have only tested this widget in MacOS and Windows applications, I
have not tried it out in Linux, Android or iOS apps.

You can find my
https://madpink.plutio.com/p/sgjnnwx7q7etcwpfg

Re: Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Greg

This sounds  great!   It could be something I could use so I wanted to try it out.  I downloaded the files and tried to install the packaged widget
pink.mad.controlpanelbeta.0.9.57.lce

It appeared to be installed in the tools palette but I can’t drag the widget to a stack nor install it with the menu item Object > New Widget > MPUberControlPanel”

I tried the stack ‘Control Test’ to see if that would load the widget or give an error saying it can’t find the widget.   The stack opened but clicking on the buttons on the left side of the stack only seem to open the script editor.

Perhaps I have not installed this correctly.  Are there other files that have to be installed or included?

Thanks

Martin

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 10:54 AM, Greg (Pink) Miller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The widget can be found here:
> https://github.com/madpink/mp-livecode-controls <https://github.com/madpink/mp-livecode-controls>
>
> In addition to the source code, I have a packaged extension file and added
> a "Control Test" stack which I've found helpful for trying to break things.

Re: Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode

> That is interesting. I use PowerTools instead of the built-in tool bar so
> I had never noticed that. (It works with PowerTools, a highly recommended
> plugin.) When I switch to the built-in toolbar, it does not drag over. For
> me, going through the New Widget menu did work on both Mac and Windoze.
>
> The ControlTester stack is used in conjunction with the extension builder.
> It looks for and configures the widget from the builder's test window. (I
> should probably write that in somewhere).
>
> I added a stack "Test After Installation.livecode" to Github which
> contains the widget, and has the same name as the builder test window, so
> it will work in conjunction with ControlTester for tinkering. Please let me
> know if that doesn't work in the meantime while I try and figure out the
> rest.
>
> Does anyone know why a widget wouldn't be draggable onto a stack from the
> toolbar?
>
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 2:17 PM Martin Koob <[hidden email]
> <//rogers.com/>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Greg
>>
>> This sounds  great!   It could be something I could use so I wanted to
>> try it out.  I downloaded the files and tried to install the packaged widget
>> pink.mad.controlpanelbeta.0.9.57.lce
>>
>> It appeared to be installed in the tools palette but I can’t drag the
>> widget to a stack nor install it with the menu item Object > New Widget >
>> MPUberControlPanel”
>>
>> I tried the stack ‘Control Test’ to see if that would load the widget or
>> give an error saying it can’t find the widget.   The stack opened but
>> clicking on the buttons on the left side of the stack only seem to open the
>> script editor.
>>
>> Perhaps I have not installed this correctly.  Are there other files that
>> have to be installed or included?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Martin

Re: Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
Hi Greg

Thanks for the tester stack.   Once I opened that then I could place widgets using the object menu > New Widget >  MPUberControlPanel.

I still can’t drag the icon from the built in tools palette  to a stack yet.  ( I have not tried with Power tools but thanks for that tip.  I am going to try it out.)

I have been poking around trying to figure out how it works.  I am interested in the ‘mixed controls’ option with buttons sliders etc. to create a horizontal tool bar.  I created a control with 5 columns and 5 controls but it seems that current all controls have to be the same size.   Are you thinking of have a width key in the Controls array so you could set some controls as wider i.e. a slider would be wider than a button.

I was trying to set the controls in the toolbar  to have different icons with some success. But entering the name of a different icon in the control’s array can result in syntax errors and the controls disappearing.  I know this is in beta state.  If I have time at some point to poke around more I will see if I can create with this widget.

Thanks for your work on this.

Regards,

Martin Koob

> On Jan 8, 2020, at 2:58 PM, Greg (Pink) Miller via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I added a stack "Test After Installation.livecode" to Github which
>> contains the widget, and has the same name as the builder test window, so
>> it will work in conjunction with ControlTester for tinkering. Please let me
>> know if that doesn't work in the meantime while I try and figure out the
>> rest.

Re: Mad Pink's Ultra Deluxe Control Panel Uber-Widget

Stephen Barncard via use-livecode
the mixed control set is most definitely still in progress... even when
configured correctly it has bugs in the way user input works

I hadn't thought of a width property, but it's a good idea

if you can give me a step by step of how you got errors with the icons, it
would be helpful  THANKS!