Made with . . .

Hi Richmond,

Some years ago, Alex Tweedly recommended this book
to learn C. I bought this for US$ 30 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Illustrating-C-Ansi-Iso-Version/dp/0521468213

More recently, another developer recommended this 2015 book:
https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Absolute-Beginners-Guide-3rd/dp/0789751984/

Al

Re: Made with . . .

Reading the comments on amazon for the 2nd book i read something about a computer science course of Harvard called CS50.
A little search gave me this URL which let you take this course for free.
http://cs50.tv/2016/fall/ <http://cs50.tv/2016/fall/>

The about section at that page says: Even if you are not a student at Harvard, you are welcome to "take" this course via cs50.tv by following along via the Internet. (The course's own website is at cs50.harvard.edu <http://cs50.harvard.edu/>.) Available at right are videos of lectures, walkthroughs, and seminars along with PDFs of all handouts. Also available at right are the course's problem sets.

Maybe this is of interest for one or the other.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 03.08.2017 um 00:43 schrieb Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Richmond,
>
> Some years ago, Alex Tweedly recommended this book
> to learn C. I bought this for US$ 30 on Amazon:
> https://www.amazon.com/Illustrating-C-Ansi-Iso-Version/dp/0521468213 <https://www.amazon.com/Illustrating-C-Ansi-Iso-Version/dp/0521468213>
>
> More recently, another developer recommended this 2015 book:
> https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Absolute-Beginners-Guide-3rd/dp/0789751984/ <https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Absolute-Beginners-Guide-3rd/dp/0789751984/>
>
> Al

Re: Made with . . .

I'm not sure the learning of C and its relatively difficulty was the point here.

Find me a book on C which teaches you how to create a window, show a button and have that button pop up a modal dialog which says 'hello world' on Android, HTML5, iOS, Linux, Mac and Windows then *that* would be interesting (if only to show how ridiculous using C to write user facing applications is!)

Oh, and also, they have to be 'bare OS metal' - ie from scratch - only core libraries on all platforms allowed (so no wxWidgets, QT or whatever!) and also they need to teach enough to be able to get you to understand enough to do a great deal more than that trivial case.

Only when you consider it from that point of view does the true power - relative to C - of LiveCode (and very high level languages) become apparent.

Ah - and you'll also need to write the (shell) scripts to build your app and run it!

Having books which 'teach you' a language is one thing - having books which could teach you to do what LiveCode does for you would actually be a library. LiveCode does a lot of stuff for you so you can actually focus on what you are wanting to achieve.

After all there's a huge gap between being able to write English; and being able to write a novel in English which someone would want to buy.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. I didn't write the above to dispute your point - merely to use it to hint at a deeper truth... Which Richmond's pupil realised and hence bought chocolates as a result :)

Sent from my iPhone

> On 3 Aug 2017, at 00:43, Alejandro Tejada via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Richmond,
>
> Some years ago, Alex Tweedly recommended this book
> to learn C. I bought this for US$ 30 on Amazon:
> https://www.amazon.com/Illustrating-C-Ansi-Iso-Version/dp/0521468213
>
> More recently, another developer recommended this 2015 book:
> https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Absolute-Beginners-Guide-3rd/dp/0789751984/
>
> Al

Re: Made with . . .

Shouldn't you be getting the chocolates? ;-)

Bob S

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 16:47 , Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.
>
> P.S. I didn't write the above to dispute your point - merely to use it to hint at a deeper truth... Which Richmond's pupil realised and hence bought chocolates as a result :)
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Made with . . .

If Waddingham is getting only chocolates it's time he changed his job.

I hope that Kevin is also giving him flowers!

Richmond.