Quantcast

Maje numberFormst even better

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Very interesting discussion. Many thanks to all for deeper insight!

Here is a link for Excel cell formatting:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/264372/how-to-control-and-understand-settings-in-the-format-cells-dialog-box-in-excel

Millions of users know this formatting style. Why reinvent the wheel?
Numberformat could eventually be enhanced to this direction...

I still also wished to see it as a property-set of fields, but built in,
not "just" as a custom property. Dreaming...). It is a simple user wish,
not a recipe about how to do it. I understand that it is difficult to do.

Roland

Re: Maje numberFormst even better

Roland Huettmann wrote:

 > Here is a link for Excel cell formatting:

<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/264372/how-to-control-and-understand-settings-in-the-format-cells-dialog-box-in-excel>

Good guidance - thanks for including the link.

 > Millions of users know this formatting style. Why reinvent the wheel?
 > Numberformat could eventually be enhanced to this direction...
 >
 > I still also wished to see it as a property-set of fields, but built
 > in, not "just" as a custom property. Dreaming...). It is a simple
 > user wish, not a recipe about how to do it. I understand that it is
 > difficult to do.

Like Lagi says, "Everything is easy for the man who doesn't have to do
it himself." :)

Why not have both, "good" now and "best" later?

Even if the core team were in a position to drop other priorities to add
formatting to fields, they couldn't do it any faster than a scripter who
has the advantage of doing it in LiveCode itself.

There are many things only the engine team can do, and for those we have
no choice of what language they must be done in:  the engine is written
in C++, so it requires a C++ expert to work on engine features.

As a attractive as this proposal for field-level numeric formatting is,
there are many other tasks already in queue (it's been many years since
I was able to play a video in Linux, and others have their own lists of
preferred priorities as well).

So even the most optimistic projection of engine team availability for
this field enhancement would be months down the road.

But we could have this by this afternoon with a behavior script.

Why wait?

Sure, an engine-level version would execute faster, and it's worth doing
for language design and workflow reasons as well.

But a very useful behavior script could be crafted in an afternoon, and
it would not only provide immediate value to those using it, but help
with the design considerations that would have to go into an
engine-based property later on anyway.

So we could consider the behavior script a prototype, but even better it
can be used to provide immediate useful results.

Re: Maje numberFormst even better

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Richard,
I'd love to see the behavior script. Soon I'll be needing something like that. I can roll my own, but will save a lot of time if there is a shareable version.
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org