Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

RunRevPlanet
Hi,

I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.

But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
make it happen.

Note, the blog won't be about First Person Shooters, or the next Need For Speed
clone as these do not play to the strengths of LiveCode.

More like "Indie" style games that keep things simple, to make them achievable.
With graphics in 2D, (or 2.5D?) and a retro, classic feel. Hey, some may not use
graphics (shock!) and be text based.

Are you interested in using LiveCode to make games?

I am just thinking about this, so any and all comments will be appreciated.
Comments either way, whether "that's interesting", or "you'll be wasting your
time" will be welcome and carefully tallied.

Scott.
--
RunRevPlanet.com
Components, Libraries, Tools and Resources for LiveCode

Scott McDonald
"Components, Controls, Tools and Resources for LiveCode"
www.runrevplanet.com

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

enderNafi
Scott,

*that’s interesting* ;-)

No, seriously, I don’t think it’s a waste of time.
Casual indie games are a promising play ground.
I’m surprised how many projects are coming to my office these days.
I even started to think switching to Corona, Marmalade, etc.

So, I’d like to see what others achieve with LiveCode.
As far as I know, Splash21’s Dog Tales looks promising especially in terms of sprite animations.

A dedicated blog would be a valuable source.

Best,

~ Ender Nafi

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Rick Harrison
Hi Scott,

I’m currently working on making a couple of games,
so please count me in as a yes!

Thanks,

Rick

JB

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

JB
I think there is good money potential in indie games and it would
be a boost for LiveCode if people are able to make them easy and
with the same professional look and feel that others have now.

-=>JB<=-

On Nov 4, 2013, at 3:50 AM, LiveCode Feeds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
> LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.
>
> But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
> level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
> make it happen.
>
> Note, the blog won't be about First Person Shooters, or the next Need For Speed
> clone as these do not play to the strengths of LiveCode.
>
> More like "Indie" style games that keep things simple, to make them achievable.
> With graphics in 2D, (or 2.5D?) and a retro, classic feel. Hey, some may not use
> graphics (shock!) and be text based.
>
> Are you interested in using LiveCode to make games?
>
> I am just thinking about this, so any and all comments will be appreciated.
> Comments either way, whether "that's interesting", or "you'll be wasting your
> time" will be welcome and carefully tallied.
>
> Scott.
> --
> RunRevPlanet.com
> Components, Libraries, Tools and Resources for LiveCode
> http://www.runrevplanet.com/

Play Movies in Background Layer?

Rick Harrison
Hi there,

I’m currently working on a game in which
I would like to be able to play a movie
in a player which is behind other graphics.

Whenever I tell the movie to play, LiveCode
automatically brings the player to the
top layer, thus defeating my purpose.

Can this be done at all?
If not are there any work arounds?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Marian Petrides, MD
Count me in. I haven’t used LiveCode (or done any programming for that matter) in quite a while. Maybe this will get me off my duff. ;-) If not, it should be interesting reading nonetheless.

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 3:50 AM, LiveCode Feeds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
>> LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.
>>
>> But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
>> level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
>> make it happen.
>>
>> Note, the blog won't be about First Person Shooters, or the next Need For Speed
>> clone as these do not play to the strengths of LiveCode.
>>
>> More like "Indie" style games that keep things simple, to make them achievable.
>> With graphics in 2D, (or 2.5D?) and a retro, classic feel. Hey, some may not use
>> graphics (shock!) and be text based.
>>
>> Are you interested in using LiveCode to make games?
>>
>> I am just thinking about this, so any and all comments will be appreciated.
>> Comments either way, whether "that's interesting", or "you'll be wasting your
>> time" will be welcome and carefully tallied.
>>
>> Scott.
>> --
>> RunRevPlanet.com
>> Components, Libraries, Tools and Resources for LiveCode
>> http://www.runrevplanet.com/

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Wprothero
I'm interested in educational games and simulations.
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Marian Petrides MD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Count me in. I haven’t used LiveCode (or done any programming for that matter) in quite a while. Maybe this will get me off my duff. ;-) If not, it should be interesting reading nonetheless.
>

>>> On Nov 4, 2013, at 3:50 AM, LiveCode Feeds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
>>> LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.
>>>
>>> But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
>>> level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
>>> make it happen.
>>>
>>> Note, the blog won't be about First Person Shooters, or the next Need For Speed
>>> clone as these do not play to the strengths of LiveCode.
>>>
>>> More like "Indie" style games that keep things simple, to make them achievable.
>>> With graphics in 2D, (or 2.5D?) and a retro, classic feel. Hey, some may not use
>>> graphics (shock!) and be text based.
>>>
>>> Are you interested in using LiveCode to make games?
>>>
>>> I am just thinking about this, so any and all comments will be appreciated.
>>> Comments either way, whether "that's interesting", or "you'll be wasting your
>>> time" will be welcome and carefully tallied.
>>>
>>> Scott.
>>> --
>>> RunRevPlanet.com
>>> Components, Libraries, Tools and Resources for LiveCode
>>> http://www.runrevplanet.com/

Http://es.earthednet.org

RE: [!! SPAM] Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Lynn Fredricks-2
> Are you interested in using LiveCode to make games?
>
> I am just thinking about this, so any and all comments will
> be appreciated.
> Comments either way, whether "that's interesting", or "you'll
> be wasting your time" will be welcome and carefully tallied.

I think its an excellent idea.

As LiveCode evolves, its going to become possible to make better and better
games (performance wise). A lot of people get into development because they
want to make games. Also, the LiveCode way of doing things is really good
for many types of games that aren't 3D real time types.

Im not knocking Franklin 3D by saying that, but just out of the box, I see
big advantages with using LiveCode for many 2D games vs others.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Scott wrote:

> I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
> LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.
>
> But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
> level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
> make it happen.

We can expect that the audience for LiveCode today is very different,
and no doubt smaller by orders of magnitude, than the audience just a
few years from now.

While there's always a risk with undertaking any new venture, the return
on your investment will likely be high over time as the audience grows.

Take it slow if you like, adding new stuff even just as time permits.
But even with that, the long-term SEO value will become self-evident
soon enough.

This absolutely mind-blowingly useful compendium of game-related algos
may be inspiring:
<http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html>

  Fourth World
  Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Wprothero
Richard,
Thanks for this posting. A wealth of information about game creation.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Nov 4, 2013, at 8:03 AM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Scott wrote:
>
>> I am thinking about starting a regular blog that will focus on making games with
>> LiveCode. If I go ahead, it would be partially just for my own satisfaction.
>>
>> But it will probably be more work than I imagine, and so I am wondering what
>> level of interest there is? If there is lots then I am more likely to try and
>> make it happen.
>
> We can expect that the audience for LiveCode today is very different, and no doubt smaller by orders of magnitude, than the audience just a few years from now.
>
> While there's always a risk with undertaking any new venture, the return on your investment will likely be high over time as the audience grows.
>
> Take it slow if you like, adding new stuff even just as time permits. But even with that, the long-term SEO value will become self-evident soon enough.
>
> This absolutely mind-blowingly useful compendium of game-related algos may be inspiring:
> <http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html>
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World
> LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
> Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
> Follow me on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/FourthWorldSys

Http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

mwieder
Richard-

Monday, November 4, 2013, 8:03:19 AM, you wrote:

> This absolutely mind-blowingly useful compendium of game-related algos
> may be inspiring:
> <http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html>

Thanks!

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Play Movies in Background Layer?

J. Landman Gay
On 11/4/13 8:39 AM, Rick Harrison wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I’m currently working on a game in which
> I would like to be able to play a movie
> in a player which is behind other graphics.
>
> Whenever I tell the movie to play, LiveCode
> automatically brings the player to the
> top layer, thus defeating my purpose.
>
> Can this be done at all?
> If not are there any work arounds?

See "alwaysBuffer" in the dictionary. If the alwaysBuffer of player is
true you can place other objects on top of it. But there are side
effects and won't work on Windows if you aren't using QuickTime.

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

tbodine
Ditto. Educational games.
-- Tom Bodine

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Alejandro Tejada
Yes, I am interested in your LiveCode's Games blog.
Could you allow to translate your pages? :D

Have a nice week!

Al

Re: Play Movies in Background Layer?

Rick Harrison
Hi Jacque,

Wow, alwaysBuffer worked just fine for this!
Talk about an obscure feature this imparts.
How would one even guess at that property?

Thanks!

Rick

On 11/5/13 1:19 PM, Rick Harrison wrote:
> Hi Jacque,
>
> Wow, alwaysBuffer worked just fine for this!
> Talk about an obscure feature this imparts.
> How would one even guess at that property?

I guess you'd have to ask on the mailing list. :) Of course, a true geek
would read the dictionary cover to cover like a novel, but people make
fun of you when you do that.

Re: Play Movies in Background Layer?

enderNafi
Jacque: "a true geek would read the dictionary cover to cover like a novel”

The dictionary performs its search only within the keywords.
If it could search within the *context*, I mean the description area, life would be easier.

I’ve offered this to Neil, once;
of course, I didn’t know about quality’runrev’com and enhancement requests, back then.

I don’t know whether it’s a hard task or the team has any time for this kind of minor, collateral tasks.

Anyhow, it's one of the features of DreamCode.
Yes, I’m making a list named DreamCode; a dreamy LiveCode ;-)
If only I’d be a C++ guru or had enough money to gather lots of C++ guru’s :)

~ Ender Nafi

Mac OS X 10.9.1 • LiveCode 6.5.1 & xCode 5.0.1

Re: Play Movies in Background Layer?

Peter Haworth
Try Bjornke's BvG Docu 2 plugin, much better than the dictionary.

Pete
lcSQL Software
On Nov 5, 2013 4:41 PM, "Ender Nafi Elekcioglu" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jacque: "a true geek would read the dictionary cover to cover like a novel”
>

> The dictionary performs its search only within the keywords.
> If it could search within the *context*, I mean the description area, life
> would be easier.
>
> I’ve offered this to Neil, once;
> of course, I didn’t know about quality’runrev’com and enhancement
> requests, back then.
>
> I don’t know whether it’s a hard task or the team has any time for this
> kind of minor, collateral tasks.
>
> Anyhow, it's one of the features of DreamCode.
> Yes, I’m making a list named DreamCode; a dreamy LiveCode ;-)
> If only I’d be a C++ guru or had enough money to gather lots of C++ guru’s
> :)
>

> ~ Ender Nafi

Re: Play Movies in Background Layer?

Björnke von Gierke
So much love for my stack recently :)

On 06.11.2013, at 03:25, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try Bjornke's BvG Docu 2 plugin, much better than the dictionary.

--

Use an alternative Dictionary viewer:
http://bjoernke.com/bvgdocu/

Chat with other RunRev developers:
http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/

Sri

Re: Making Games with LiveCode Blog?

Sri
Scott:

Thank you for your initiative. Yes, I would be very interested.

My wife works with children with hearing loss (to help them to listen and speak - no signing). She uses her Mac and iPad a great deal and games are a major component of her therapy. She uses ScratchBoard, Lego WeDo, Arduino, etc.

I have been trying to develop a few customized games, some to use with Makey-Makey board, but most of them sound and language based games. (Of course, a major dampener is that I can't make a game for iPad - with the Community edition-, and iPad is what every parent seems to have at home!).

I expect your blog to be very useful to an amateur programmer like me.

Regards,
Sri.