Managing maximized windows on MacOS

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Hi guys,
from MacOS Mojave and on when you maximize a window (clicking on “+” button on windows main bar) the system maximize the window on the entire screen hiding all the system bars and moving the window on a different “virtual” space.

Is there a way using LC to manage this window status?
It’s possible to detect the window maximization (I.E. in a message) and manage the actions to activate when the window goes to this status or go back to the normal status?

Thank you in advance for your tips!

Regards

Re: Managing maximized windows on MacOS

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I'd like to know this too. I'd love to see a way to better control
maximizing a window. the windowBoundingRect is a little out of date.

1) It only applies to the primary monitor (any platform) and I am
finding a lot more of our customers have multiple monitors these days
(usually a laptop with a larger desktop monitor). However, with Catalina
allowing iPads to be extra monitors for a macOS system, we're only
likely to have more situations where desktop apps need to be multiple
monitor aware

2) I am not sure it works any more on the latest versions of macOS

On 11/4/2019 1:58 PM, Giovanni via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi guys,
> from MacOS Mojave and on when you maximize a window (clicking on “+” button on windows main bar) the system maximize the window on the entire screen hiding all the system bars and moving the window on a different “virtual” space.
>
> Is there a way using LC to manage this window status?
> It’s possible to detect the window maximization (I.E. in a message) and manage the actions to activate when the window goes to this status or go back to the normal status?
>
> Thank you in advance for your tips!
>
> Regards

Re: Managing maximized windows on MacOS

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Did you already see the new
https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/mchlp2469/mac

Such "features" override LC settings (on MacOS 10.14/10.15).

Re: Managing maximized windows on MacOS

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
Thanks for that link hh... I had researched this a while back and actually
looked at the source code.  I knew about the modifier key, but didn't know
about the double click.

So, you can hold the option key down when hovering over the green dot to
get the maximize "+" action.  You can also double click the title bar to
maximize the window.  If you just click the green dot, you get the full
screen mode.

I would go one step further... this is the way the OS works now and other
apps work that way too.  Trying to make your LC app work like a previous
version of the OS may not be the best course of action.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM hh via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you already see the new
> https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/mchlp2469/mac
>
> Such "features" override LC settings (on MacOS 10.14/10.15).

Re: Managing maximized windows on MacOS

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I ran into this myself recently. LiveCode sends a resizeStack message when
you click the maximize "zoom box" button which you can intercept, but
there's no way to verify that it was the fullscreen zoom button that
generated the message. It would be nice if LC had the opposite of it's
iconifyStack
/ uniconifyStack messages for maximize, maybe "fullscreenify" or something
like that. It would also be nice if it played nice with LiveCode's
non-native fullScreen modes, as it is now the stack automatically gets
resized to the current screen's sized putting all the contents to the upper
left (0,0) origin point.
I have played around a bit with a separate LiveCode builder implementation
macOS native fullscreen that seems to behave a bit differently, if you lock
the resizable attributes it centers your stack on the screen without the
resizing. It's part of this LCB library here:
https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/LiveCode-LCB-macOSTools