Managing substacks - best way?

Jim Bufalini
Hi all,

Lets say you create a substack or someone shares a stack with a library or
other type of substack that you want to incorporate in other projects.
What's the best way to separate out that substack from the original Main
stack (without actually separating it from the original project by setting
it's main stack to itself) and then, adding it to another project?

I've been setting the substack to a main stack of itself. Saving the
substack. Closing the original main stack without save. Opening a new main
stack. Opening what was the substack. Setting the main stack of the opened
former substack to the new main stack. Kind of a PITA (Pain In The A__).
Isn't there a better way?

Jim

Re: Managing substacks - best way?

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jim,

1. Clone the substack (it will be a mainstack named copy of <substack
name>)
2. set it as a substack of another mainStack
3. Change its name (be careful with conflicts when 2 stacks/substacks
have the same name)

Hope this helps.

Le 6 juil. 05 à 16:54, Jim Bufalini a écrit :

> Lets say you create a substack or someone shares a stack with a
> library or
> other type of substack that you want to incorporate in other projects.
> What's the best way to separate out that substack from the original
> Main
> stack (without actually separating it from the original project by
> setting
> it's main stack to itself) and then, adding it to another project?
>
> I've been setting the substack to a main stack of itself. Saving the
> substack. Closing the original main stack without save. Opening a
> new main
> stack. Opening what was the substack. Setting the main stack of the
> opened
> former substack to the new main stack. Kind of a PITA (Pain In The
> A__).
> Isn't there a better way?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

RE: Managing substacks - best way?

MisterX
Hi Jim,

> Hi all,
>
> Lets say you create a substack or someone shares a stack with
> a library or other type of substack that you want to
> incorporate in other projects.
> What's the best way to separate out that substack from the
> original Main stack (without actually separating it from the
> original project by setting it's main stack to itself) and
> then, adding it to another project?

Just open the substack, and clone it (you dont need to open it actually but
it might save a couple errors trying to clone the thing.

After that, it's important to change the name. All your images have changed
IDs too (if im correct).

And save...

> I've been setting the substack to a main stack of itself.
> Saving the substack. Closing the original main stack without
> save. Opening a new main stack. Opening what was the
> substack. Setting the main stack of the opened former
> substack to the new main stack. Kind of a PITA (Pain In The A__).
> Isn't there a better way?
>
> Jim

Re: Managing substacks - best way?

Bob Hartley
Quoting Jim Bufalini <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> Lets say you create a substack or someone shares a stack with a library or
> other type of substack that you want to incorporate in other projects.
> What's the best way to separate out that substack from the original Main
> stack (without actually separating it from the original project by setting
> it's main stack to itself) and then, adding it to another project?

I clone a substack of a .exe using this script.

global tStackName, tFileName
on doFileNew
  ask file "Name new database file:" with "MyDatabase.abd"
  if it is empty then exit to top
  put it into tFileName
  if char -4 to -1 of tFileName is not ".abd" then put ".abd" after tFileName
  set the itemDelimiter to "/"
  put last item of tFileName into tStackName

--Puts the filename you created into a variable that can be used to name the
stack later

  set the visible of stack "Master Database" to false
  clone stack "Master database"

-- so you dont see it popup on cloning

  set the name of stack it to tStackName
  set the title of stack tStackName to (char 1 to -5 of tStackName)
  set the minWidth of stack tStackName to 800
  set the minHeight of stack tStackName to 600
  set the fileName of stack tStackName to tFileName
  -- "tFileName" is the full pathname of the file the user named earlier.
  set the visible of stack "Master Database" to true
  put the stackFileType into tSaveStackFileType
  set the stackFileType to "RevoABD_"
  save stack tStackName
  set the stackFileType to tSaveStackFileType
  show stack tStackName
  toplevel stack tStackName
end doFileNew

I'm sure you can canibalise bits of this. I think I originally canibalised this
one from the list or bits from the employee database that came with earlier
versions of runrev.

hope ot is of use.

cheers
bob

> I've been setting the substack to a main stack of itself. Saving the
> substack. Closing the original main stack without save. Opening a new main
> stack. Opening what was the substack. Setting the main stack of the opened
> former substack to the new main stack. Kind of a PITA (Pain In The A__).
> Isn't there a better way?
>
> Jim

RE: Managing substacks - best way?

Jim Bufalini
Hi Eric,

Can't find in the IDE clone a substack. Do you mean write a script?

Jim

1. Clone the substack (it will be a mainstack named copy of <substack
name>)
2. set it as a substack of another mainStack
3. Change its name (be careful with conflicts when 2 stacks/substacks
have the same name)

Hope this helps.

Le 6 juil. 05 à 16:54, Jim Bufalini a écrit :

> Lets say you create a substack or someone shares a stack with a
> library or
> other type of substack that you want to incorporate in other projects.
> What's the best way to separate out that substack from the original
> Main
> stack (without actually separating it from the original project by
> setting
> it's main stack to itself) and then, adding it to another project?
>
> I've been setting the substack to a main stack of itself. Saving the
> substack. Closing the original main stack without save. Opening a
> new main
> stack. Opening what was the substack. Setting the main stack of the
> opened
> former substack to the new main stack. Kind of a PITA (Pain In The
> A__).
> Isn't there a better way?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Managing substacks - best way?

Eric Chatonet
Hi Jim,

Have a look at the clone command in the docs:

Duplicates an object.

clone the selectedObject
clone player "Hard Day's Night"
clone this card
clone stack <substack name> (A substack is a stack too)

If the object is a stack, the newly created stack is opened. It is
named "Copy of" and the stack's name.
The clone command places the long id property of the newly created
object in the it variable.

You can type it in the message box (or do it script :-)

Le 6 juil. 05 à 17:38, Jim Bufalini a écrit :

> Hi Eric,
>
> Can't find in the IDE clone a substack. Do you mean write a script?
>
> Jim

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Re: Managing substacks - best way?

Chipp Walters
Jim,

If you're doing this in the IDE, there's a very simple way to do it.

Open up the Main stack with the substack you want to 'move'.

Open up the stack you want to 'move it to.'

Open the prop editor for the substack to be moved. Select the new stack
as the Main stack. Save the new stack. Now QUIT Rev (don't save the orig
Main stack) and relaunch, open the new stack and you will see the
substack there. By quitting Rev, you won't have problems with namespace
conflicts or the IDE getting 'confused' over which stack is where.

HTH,

Chipp