Map Widget"

I found this link on the LC site.
https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>

Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Map Widget"

I do not believe you can have a google map not in a browser. That is to say, you cannot have a google INTERACTIVE map. You can certainly drop screenshots in as graphics.

Bob S

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 19:31 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I found this link on the LC site.
> https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
>
> Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Map Widget"

What I'm thinking about is a map that I can control location and magnification of a google map from livecode, do an image capture, and draw symbols on that capture. I would need to be able to recover the latitude and longitude of the displayed map boundaries.

I remember some discussions about whether image capture works with browser windows.

If anybody has wisdom on whether this will work, before I spend a bunch of time researching this, I'd be grateful. There is, I think, an API to google Earth, which might be something to look into.

Thanks,
Bill P

William Prothero
http://es.earthednet.org

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I do not believe you can have a google map not in a browser. That is to say, you cannot have a google INTERACTIVE map. You can certainly drop screenshots in as graphics.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Apr 26, 2017, at 19:31 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I found this link on the LC site.
>> https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
>>
>> Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
>> Bill
>>
>> William A. Prothero
>> http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Map Widget"

Folks:
On another aspect of this question, was a Map Widget, advertised on the site I linked to below, ever created?
https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

>>> I found this link on the LC site.
>>> https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
>>>
>>> Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
>>> Bill

Re: Map Widget"

I use maps in the browser widget extensively for Augmented Earth. It works great.

You could hypothetically export the image data from the HTML canvas object, export the lat/lng boundaries, and present all of that through a LiveCode image object. Be prepared to do a bit of math, but I think it would work.

Many of the map apis allow you to put both markers and polygons on a map with JavaScript, which might give you better performance.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 11:26 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What I'm thinking about is a map that I can control location and magnification of a google map from livecode, do an image capture, and draw symbols on that capture. I would need to be able to recover the latitude and longitude of the displayed map boundaries.
>
> I remember some discussions about whether image capture works with browser windows.
>
> If anybody has wisdom on whether this will work, before I spend a bunch of time researching this, I'd be grateful. There is, I think, an API to google Earth, which might be something to look into.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill P
>
> William Prothero
> http://es.earthednet.org
>
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I do not believe you can have a google map not in a browser. That is to say, you cannot have a google INTERACTIVE map. You can certainly drop screenshots in as graphics.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Apr 26, 2017, at 19:31 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I found this link on the LC site.
>>> https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
>>>
>>> Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> William A. Prothero
>>> http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Map Widget"

Jonathon:
It looks like a Google Earth plugin is needed for Augmented Earth. True? Does that give you installation issues? Does the Map Widget behave well with plugins?
Bill

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use maps in the browser widget extensively for Augmented Earth. It works great.
>
> You could hypothetically export the image data from the HTML canvas object, export the lat/lng boundaries, and present all of that through a LiveCode image object. Be prepared to do a bit of math, but I think it would work.
>
> Many of the map apis allow you to put both markers and polygons on a map with JavaScript, which might give you better performance.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 11:26 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What I'm thinking about is a map that I can control location and magnification of a google map from livecode, do an image capture, and draw symbols on that capture. I would need to be able to recover the latitude and longitude of the displayed map boundaries.
>>
>> I remember some discussions about whether image capture works with browser windows.
>>
>> If anybody has wisdom on whether this will work, before I spend a bunch of time researching this, I'd be grateful. There is, I think, an API to google Earth, which might be something to look into.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill P
>>
>> William Prothero
>> http://es.earthednet.org
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not believe you can have a google map not in a browser. That is to say, you cannot have a google INTERACTIVE map. You can certainly drop screenshots in as graphics.
>>>
>>> Bob S

Re: Map Widget"

Bill,

Have you checked the mergMK extension referred to in the post? To my knowledge the widget referred ton in the post has not yet been created.

To take another tack—have you looked at the Google Static Map API? If you’re comfortable using RESTful API’s in LiveCode you can get a pretty serviceable map display in your stack. The API just returns image data, so it’s pretty straightforward to display the map in an image object.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/static-maps/?csw=1

HTH

Devin

On Apr 27, 2017, at 10:01 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Folks:
On another aspect of this question, was a Map Widget, advertised on the site I linked to below, ever created?
https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

I found this link on the LC site.
https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/ <https://livecode.com/map-widget-coming-to-livecode/>

Is there a map widget? Anybody working with google maps, not in a browser? If so, could you point me to a URL for a starter
Bill

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: Map Widget"

No - I don't even use google. I use bing maps, bing geocoding, and webglearth for 3D.

Google's TOS and reputation scares me.

I just use the browser widget, no other plugin.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:26 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jonathon:
> It looks like a Google Earth plugin is needed for Augmented Earth. True? Does that give you installation issues? Does the Map Widget behave well with plugins?
> Bill
>
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I use maps in the browser widget extensively for Augmented Earth. It works great.
>>
>> You could hypothetically export the image data from the HTML canvas object, export the lat/lng boundaries, and present all of that through a LiveCode image object. Be prepared to do a bit of math, but I think it would work.
>>
>> Many of the map apis allow you to put both markers and polygons on a map with JavaScript, which might give you better performance.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 11:26 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> What I'm thinking about is a map that I can control location and magnification of a google map from livecode, do an image capture, and draw symbols on that capture. I would need to be able to recover the latitude and longitude of the displayed map boundaries.
>>>
>>> I remember some discussions about whether image capture works with browser windows.
>>>
>>> If anybody has wisdom on whether this will work, before I spend a bunch of time researching this, I'd be grateful. There is, I think, an API to google Earth, which might be something to look into.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill P
>>>
>>> William Prothero
>>> http://es.earthednet.org

Re: Map Widget"

Actually, I use tsnet for getting geocoding data from bing. Neither the put URL command nor using a separate communication browser widget worked for that.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> No - I don't even use google. I use bing maps, bing geocoding, and webglearth for 3D.
>
> Google's TOS and reputation scares me.
>
> I just use the browser widget, no other plugin.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:26 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Jonathon:
>> It looks like a Google Earth plugin is needed for Augmented Earth. True? Does that give you installation issues? Does the Map Widget behave well with plugins?
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:09 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use maps in the browser widget extensively for Augmented Earth. It works great.
>>>
>>> You could hypothetically export the image data from the HTML canvas object, export the lat/lng boundaries, and present all of that through a LiveCode image object. Be prepared to do a bit of math, but I think it would work.
>>>
>>> Many of the map apis allow you to put both markers and polygons on a map with JavaScript, which might give you better performance.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: Map Widget"

Thanks for the info, Jonathon.
I’ll post what I find out.
Best,
Bill P

> On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:54 AM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually, I use tsnet for getting geocoding data from bing. Neither the put URL command nor using a separate communication browser widget worked for that.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> No - I don't even use google. I use bing maps, bing geocoding, and webglearth for 3D.
>>
>> Google's TOS and reputation scares me.
>>
>> I just use the browser widget, no other plugin.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Apr 27, 2017, at 12:26 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Jonathon:
>>> It looks like a Google Earth plugin is needed for Augmented Earth. True? Does that give you installation issues? Does the Map Widget behave well with plugins?
>>> Bill

Re: Map Widget"

Devin:
Looking at the dictionary, it only works on iOS. I need Mac and Windows platforms, and iOS is good, but limited. But, this external looks like it would do what I want, as it is described. It looks like it will take map data and make and image which I could then modify as I want.

Alas, no dice on the desktop. A cross platform Map widget that does this would be pretty useful.
Best,
Bill P