MetaCard Setup 2.0

J. Landman Gay
In the shadow of giants, I've updated MetaCard Setup to work with
LiveCode 4.5 or higher. This version will not work with engines less
than 4.5; if you need to install the older Rev engines into the IDE then
use the older MetaCard Setup 1.0.3. You can download the older version
from RevOnline or from the yahoo IDE group.

The new version is here:

<http://www.metacard.livecodejournal.com/files/other_plugins/metacard_setup_20.rev.gz>

Tested on OS X and Windows 7. If someone could run this in Linux that'd
be great. Let me know if there are any issues. If it seems to work okay
for everyone, I'll upload to the other locations.

Changes:

Rewritten to work with LiveCode 4.5 revised file structures.
Dropped support for Rev engines less than 4.5.
Dropped support for OS 9.
Updated download URLs.
Updated Help info.

Re: MetaCard Setup 2.0

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/29/2011 01:00 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> In the shadow of giants, I've updated MetaCard Setup to work with
> LiveCode 4.5 or higher. This version will not work with engines less
> than 4.5; if you need to install the older Rev engines into the IDE
> then use the older MetaCard Setup 1.0.3. You can download the older
> version from RevOnline or from the yahoo IDE group.
>
> The new version is here:
>
> <http://www.metacard.livecodejournal.com/files/other_plugins/metacard_setup_20.rev.gz>
>

> Tested on OS X and Windows 7. If someone could run this in Linux
> that'd be great. Let me know if there are any issues. If it seems to
> work okay for everyone, I'll upload to the other locations.
>
> Changes:
>
> Rewritten to work with LiveCode 4.5 revised file structures.
> Dropped support for Rev engines less than 4.5.
> Dropped support for OS 9.
> Updated download URLs.
> Updated Help info.

I wonder why 4.5-dp-4 is NOT recognised ????

Re: MetaCard Setup 2.0

J. Landman Gay
On 6/29/11 5:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> I wonder why 4.5-dp-4 is NOT recognised ????

Is this on Linux, where I didn't test? If so, thanks for trying it.
Could you tell me the full path to the application please?

Setup uses a very simplistic test to see if you've chosen a valid app.
It won't always work and it is pretty braindead. Basically it just
checks to see if "LiveCode" is in the path. This isn't a great way to do
it, but I couldn't think of a better one that would cover all operating
systems. On OS X I could read the plist file, and on Windows there might
be a way to check the registry (ugh), but on Linux I'm stumped. So the
test is more of a nudge than a definitive statement of validity.

I could allow the user to choose any app at all, but of course the
results could be inoperable. If you give me the name of the app on Linux
I'll alter the test to include that. I've got a fix for the bug Ken
found that I'll implement, so I'll be reuploading a corrected version
anyway.

If anyone knows how to check the version on Windows and Linux, I'll do
that instead.

Re: MetaCard Setup 2.0

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/29/2011 06:10 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 6/29/11 5:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
>> I wonder why 4.5-dp-4 is NOT recognised ????
>
> Is this on Linux, where I didn't test? If so, thanks for trying it.
> Could you tell me the full path to the application please?

Yes; on Linux: /home/richmond/R45Linux/45/reventerprise.x86

> Setup uses a very simplistic test to see if you've chosen a valid app.
> It won't always work and it is pretty braindead. Basically it just
> checks to see if "LiveCode" is in the path. This isn't a great way to
> do it, but I couldn't think of a better one that would cover all
> operating systems. On OS X I could read the plist file, and on Windows
> there might be a way to check the registry (ugh), but on Linux I'm
> stumped. So the test is more of a nudge than a definitive statement of
> validity.
>
> I could allow the user to choose any app at all, but of course the
> results could be inoperable. If you give me the name of the app on
> Linux I'll alter the test to include that. I've got a fix for the bug
> Ken found that I'll implement, so I'll be reuploading a corrected
> version anyway.
>
> If anyone knows how to check the version on Windows and Linux, I'll do
> that instead.

Re: MetaCard Setup 2.0

J. Landman Gay
On 6/29/11 11:31 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> On 06/29/2011 06:10 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>> On 6/29/11 5:32 AM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder why 4.5-dp-4 is NOT recognised ????
>>
>> Is this on Linux, where I didn't test? If so, thanks for trying it.
>> Could you tell me the full path to the application please?
>
> Yes; on Linux: /home/richmond/R45Linux/45/reventerprise.x86

Thanks. I've changed the test to read the actual version number on OS X
and Windows (thanks to Ken for his VBScript!) Unless someone knows how
to determine the version on Linux, I'll just put up a warning and let
the user beware.