Mobile development android vs ios

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Folks,

After 6+ years with LC I am just now starting some mobile development.

I don't currently own an ios device and would like to just carry on
development on android assuming that if I do a good and careful job my
application will work on ios when I finally make the builds.

I don't expect 100% first time flawlessness.  But is there anything I
should keep in mind as I do this?

My application is pretty straight forward.....app version of a
book.....jsut a pretty basic interface, livecloud.io integration via tsnet.

Is there anything different between touch commands on ios vs android?

Thanks

--
Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
After several years, I can say that if it works Android it will 'probably' work for iOS.

Not always the other way.

That is, after we get LC 9.6, as there are things now breaking on iOS, that work on Android. Also if you have friends with a iPhone, TestFlight will allow them to test the app.

BR



I don't expect 100% first time flawlessness.  But is there anything I
should keep in mind as I do this?
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thank you.... I will definitely test as soon as I am able to and definitely
before submission.



On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:32 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> After several years, I can say that if it works Android it will 'probably'
> work for iOS.
>
> Not always the other way.
>
> That is, after we get LC 9.6, as there are things now breaking on iOS,
> that work on Android. Also if you have friends with a iPhone, TestFlight
> will allow them to test the app.
>
> BR
>
>
>
> I don't expect 100% first time flawlessness.  But is there anything I
> should keep in mind as I do this?
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>


--
Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mark Wieder via use-livecode
On 11/9/19 6:32 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:
> I don't expect 100% first time flawlessness.  But is there anything I
> should keep in mind as I do this?

As Swami mentioned, if it works in Android it's likely to mostly work in
iOS too. But depending on your layout, you may need to design different
interfaces for each OS. Apple is a bit particular about that and will
reject an app that looks like an Android port. I'm not sure if Google
will do the same, they're more flexible, but Android users won't
appreciate an app that looks like it belongs on iOS.

So basically, your scripts probably won't need much alteration but the
appearance might. The location of navigation bars and other controls,
fonts, text alignment, button appearance, icons, and other visual
properties varies by OS. Each OS has its own standard appearance.

You can get around some of this by using only unique custom icons and
buttons sometimes. But title bar appearance and control placement are
pretty much expected. I found this link to be helpful:
<https://medium.com/@chunchuanlin/android-vs-ios-compare-20-ui-components-patterns-part-1-ad33c2418b45>


> My application is pretty straight forward.....app version of a
> book.....jsut a pretty basic interface, livecloud.io integration via tsnet.

If your app is just a book, Apple may not accept it into the App Store.
They want all books to go into the iBooks store and they may direct you
there when you submit.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
"Call me contrary". but the more I look at the Android UI the more I like the principles. I also seems that Apple likes it too. In iOS 13.2 they "finally" have a near 100% for delete an app, like Android.

If you went with Android UI, and use your own icons and widgets,
a) Apple won't complain,  (it doesn't emulate a "apple app")
b) I could be under-estimating users need for "ever has the same"
Though other may object, if you have "real" contents  -- I don't think the users will care how it work, as long as it works "well"

Just my two cents for someone who would rather work on building content, than on device alternative UI's.


BR






You can get around some of this by using only unique custom icons and
buttons sometimes. But title bar appearance and control placement are
pretty much expected. I found this link to be helpful:
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thanks to you both for your valublue input.

My plan was to use the same design for both using custom button controls vs
native ones.

The app does center around a book, but its not just that...there is a lot
of functionality around it for the student.

I'll try to make sure it looks unique enough to not look like android and
not look like ios :)  That should work.

Thanks,

Tom

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Call me contrary". but the more I look at the Android UI the more I like
> the principles. I also seems that Apple likes it too. In iOS 13.2 they
> "finally" have a near 100% for delete an app, like Android.
>
> If you went with Android UI, and use your own icons and widgets,
> a) Apple won't complain,  (it doesn't emulate a "apple app")
> b) I could be under-estimating users need for "ever has the same"
> Though other may object, if you have "real" contents  -- I don't think the
> users will care how it work, as long as it works "well"
>
> Just my two cents for someone who would rather work on building content,
> than on device alternative UI's.
>
>
> BR
>
>
>
>
>
>
> You can get around some of this by using only unique custom icons and
> buttons sometimes. But title bar appearance and control placement are
> pretty much expected. I found this link to be helpful:
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>


--
Tom Glod
Founder & Developer
MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
Office:226-706-9339
Mobile:226-706-9793
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
That should work. My current app has a header and footer that are
definitely Android Material design. To make the header like iOS I need to
center the text and use a chevron instead of an arrow. There are other
things like that, minor tweaks mostly, but if you have an original layout
you're probably in good shape. I followed the Material Design guidelines
strictly, right down to the pixel for size and placement.

Apple's submission guidelines state that an app that looks like "another
OS" is grounds for rejection but I don't know how much they enforce that.
It's been a while since I needed to submit to the App Store, but I'll be
finding out soon.

I have to agree with Swami that I prefer Android OS. I think Apple has lost
its way over the years.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com
On November 10, 2019 4:09:48 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks to you both for your valublue input.
>
> My plan was to use the same design for both using custom button controls vs
> native ones.
>
> The app does center around a book, but its not just that...there is a lot
> of functionality around it for the student.
>
> I'll try to make sure it looks unique enough to not look like android and
> not look like ios :)  That should work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:28 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> "Call me contrary". but the more I look at the Android UI the more I like
>> the principles. I also seems that Apple likes it too. In iOS 13.2 they
>> "finally" have a near 100% for delete an app, like Android.
>>
>> If you went with Android UI, and use your own icons and widgets,
>> a) Apple won't complain,  (it doesn't emulate a "apple app")
>> b) I could be under-estimating users need for "ever has the same"
>> Though other may object, if you have "real" contents  -- I don't think the
>> users will care how it work, as long as it works "well"
>>
>> Just my two cents for someone who would rather work on building content,
>> than on device alternative UI's.
>>
>>
>> BR
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> You can get around some of this by using only unique custom icons and
>> buttons sometimes. But title bar appearance and control placement are
>> pretty much expected. I found this link to be helpful:
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>>
>
>
> --
> Tom Glod
> Founder & Developer
> MakeShyft R.D.A (www.makeshyft.com)
> Office:226-706-9339
> Mobile:226-706-9793
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode




_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mobile development android vs ios

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
In reply to this post by Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'm still working on my first time flawless build! :-)

Bob S


> On Nov 9, 2019, at 16:32 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't expect 100% first time flawlessness.  But is there anything I
> should keep in mind as I do this?


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode