Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
If I add files that are in the same folder as the stack file in the copy and then in the app (simulator or real device) if I ‘put the files’, then the added files are included in the listing. However, if the added files are in a different folder (e.g. “stuff/test.pdf”) then they don’t show up. Should they, or is there something that I’m missing?

LC 8.1.6 (rc1)

Terry...

Re: Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

On 7/15/17 8:05 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:
> If I add files that are in the same folder as the stack file in the copy and then in the app (simulator or real device) if I ‘put the files’, then the added files are included in the listing. However, if the added files are in a different folder (e.g. “stuff/test.pdf”) then they don’t show up. Should they, or is there something that I’m missing?
>
> LC 8.1.6 (rc1)

That's expected behavior, the files function isn't recursive. By
default, it returns only files in the default folder but you can specify
a different folder by adding an optional folder parameter.

Over the years a few people have posted recursive directory walk
scripts, but since you already know the folders included in the
standalone it's probably easier to just ask for each listing
individually if there aren't too many.

Re: Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Ok, so when adding files in the ‘copy files’ pane I can only include files that are in the same folder (on disk) as the stack file if I want them to end up in the engine/home folder? I though assuming that the paths that are listed in the ‘Non-stack files in the application’ represent the location of the original file but that when the standalone was built they are all be copied into the same folder in the app? I thought I’d added externals this way in the past and had them work for example.

Terry...

On 17/07/2017 5:27 am, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On 7/15/17 8:05 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:
    > If I add files that are in the same folder as the stack file in the copy and then in the app (simulator or real device) if I ‘put the files’, then the added files are included in the listing. However, if the added files are in a different folder (e.g. “stuff/test.pdf”) then they don’t show up. Should they, or is there something that I’m missing?
    >
    > LC 8.1.6 (rc1)

    That's expected behavior, the files function isn't recursive. By
    default, it returns only files in the default folder but you can specify
    a different folder by adding an optional folder parameter.

    Over the years a few people have posted recursive directory walk
    scripts, but since you already know the folders included in the
    standalone it's probably easier to just ask for each listing
    individually if there aren't too many.

Re: Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
The app structure respects the folder hierarchy you had during
development. For easiest access everywhere, put your folders inside the
one that holds the mainstack.

Then use specialFolderPath("resources") in your scripts to refer to the
subfolders. That function will return the mainstack's folder during
development, and the path to the subfolders in a standalone on any platform.

Macs no longer allow assets in the engine folder, so
specialFolderPath("resources") translates to the place where your
subfolders actually reside. That is, even if your script refers to the
engine folder, the function will look in the resources folder.

You don't need to create a resources folder on your hard drive, that is
done automatically when the standalone is built. Just make the other
folders sub-directories of the mainstack's folder and include them in
the copy files pane.

On 7/16/17 3:09 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:

> Ok, so when adding files in the ‘copy files’ pane I can only include files that are in the same folder (on disk) as the stack file if I want them to end up in the engine/home folder? I though assuming that the paths that are listed in the ‘Non-stack files in the application’ represent the location of the original file but that when the standalone was built they are all be copied into the same folder in the app? I thought I’d added externals this way in the past and had them work for example.
>
> Terry...
>
> On 17/07/2017 5:27 am, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>      On 7/15/17 8:05 PM, Terry Judd via use-livecode wrote:
>      > If I add files that are in the same folder as the stack file in the copy and then in the app (simulator or real device) if I ‘put the files’, then the added files are included in the listing. However, if the added files are in a different folder (e.g. “stuff/test.pdf”) then they don’t show up. Should they, or is there something that I’m missing?
>      >
>      > LC 8.1.6 (rc1)
>
>      That's expected behavior, the files function isn't recursive. By
>      default, it returns only files in the default folder but you can specify
>      a different folder by adding an optional folder parameter.
>
>      Over the years a few people have posted recursive directory walk
>      scripts, but since you already know the folders included in the
>      standalone it's probably easier to just ask for each listing
>      individually if there aren't too many.
>
>      --
>      Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>      HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: Mobile - missing? files added in copy files pane of standalone builder

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Thanks for the advice Jacqueline - I use the resources folder for writing/ reading files to/from all the time but haven't been in the habit of using the copy files pane for adding resources. I'll give all that a go.

Terry...

Sent from my iPhone