More cross-platform info needed - menus

Sarah Reichelt-2
Hi All,

I usually have the luxury of being completely Mac, but now I have an
application that has to be Mac, Windows & Linux, so you can expect a
few stupid questions while I struggle with this. Today's question is
about menus and what to call things.

Mac users expect a "Quit" with the shortcut Command-Q.
I think I am correct in thinking that Windows users expect "Exit". The
only shortcut seems to be Alt-F4. Is this a system thing or do I have
to trap the function keys and check for this?
What is the Linux quitting command called and what is it's shortcut?.

Preferences: Mac users use "Preferences", Windows programs seem to
have lots of different terms for this. Is there a preferred standard
or can I just use Preferences for both Mac & Windows? What do Linux
people expect this to be called?

One more question: what is a good Linux distribution to use for testing?

Thanks,
Sarah

Re: More cross-platform info needed - menus

Chris Kassopulo-2
On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:51:42 +1000, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I usually have the luxury of being completely Mac, but now I have an
> application that has to be Mac, Windows & Linux, so you can expect a
> few stupid questions while I struggle with this. Today's question is
> about menus and what to call things.
>
> Mac users expect a "Quit" with the shortcut Command-Q.
> I think I am correct in thinking that Windows users expect "Exit". The
> only shortcut seems to be Alt-F4. Is this a system thing or do I have
> to trap the function keys and check for this?
> What is the Linux quitting command called and what is it's shortcut?.
>
> Preferences: Mac users use "Preferences", Windows programs seem to
> have lots of different terms for this. Is there a preferred standard
> or can I just use Preferences for both Mac & Windows? What do Linux
> people expect this to be called?
>
> One more question: what is a good Linux distribution to use for testing?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Quit with Ctrl-Q.

As an aside, in the darker days, some os's used quit to
abandon changes and exit to file them.

Preferences is preferences.

Ubuntu is the hot distribution.  Easy install,
good software selection and easy to maintain.

Chris

RE: More cross-platform info needed - menus

Scott Kane-3
Hi Sarah,

> Mac users expect a "Quit" with the shortcut Command-Q.
> I think I am correct in thinking that Windows users expect "Exit".

Yes.  You are right.  Windows users do expect that.  There two
types of shortcuts though.  some programmers use alt + e and most
use alt + x.  The alt + F4 is a standard Windows sequence and applied
to any window (modal, document etc).  The system performs the
alt+F4 for you unless you code it to bypass this (not recommended).

> Preferences:

Preferences does fine.  Others used are "Program Settings", "User
Settings" -
heaps of them really.  I'd stick with Preferences...

I'm not a Linux person - though I found Mandrake (now Mandriva) to be
pretty
good for my purposes.

Scott

Re: More cross-platform info needed - menus

Sarah Reichelt-2
Thanks Chris & Scott. I'll struggle on with this, but expect more
confusion to come as I try to come to grips with all the little
differences :-)

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: More cross-platform info needed - menus

Alex Tweedly
Scott Kane wrote:

>Hi Sarah,
>

>>Mac users expect a "Quit" with the shortcut Command-Q.
>>I think I am correct in thinking that Windows users expect "Exit".
>>

>Yes.  You are right.  Windows users do expect that.  There two
>types of shortcuts though.  some programmers use alt + e and most
>use alt + x.

Not sure I would agree with that recommendation. As far as I know, on
Windows the Alt + char shortcuts should follow the Menu, so you would
(usually) have the first menu item be File, and the last entry within
that be Exit - and hence an exit shortcut would be most often Alt-F +
Alt-X but I think I have seen Alt-F + Alt-E.

If there are additional, single key shortcuts, they *usually* use the
Ctrl key. The MS GUI guidelines say that "CTRL+letter combinations and
function keys F!-F12 are usually the best choices". (see URL below);
there is no required or recommended shortcut for program exit. I most
often see Ctrl-Q, sometime Ctrl-E and never Ctrl-X (since that's the
standard shortcut for "Cut to clipboard").  There are some programs that
use single-letter Alt-char shortcuts, indeed some that use Alt-X or
Alt-E for exit, but I suspect those are ports from other systems - but
the guidelines recommend against it.

MS has an excellent document about this - worth taking an hour or two to
read it -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnacc/html/ATG_KeyboardShortcuts.asp

>The alt + F4 is a standard Windows sequence and applied
>to any window (modal, document etc).  The system performs the
>alt+F4 for you unless you code it to bypass this (not recommended).

I second that.

>>Preferences:
>>

>Preferences does fine.  Others used are "Program Settings", "User
>Settings" -
>heaps of them really.  I'd stick with Preferences...

Option is more common Win than Preferences -

--
Alex Tweedly       http://www.tweedly.net

Re: More cross-platform info needed - menus

Thomas McGrath III
Sarah,

It is my experience that if a preference area holds selection options
for a particular tool or aspect of a document then "Options" is used
as a preference menu item. Microsoft Word uses a "Properties" menu
for the document properties and an "Options" menu for Tool settings.

Revolution uses Edit Menu - Preferences

Both MS Office and Revolution use File - Exit and not Quit.

I have seen many other configurations but these seem standard.

Tom

On May 15, 2006, at 4:17 AM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Thanks Chris & Scott. I'll struggle on with this, but expect more
> confusion to come as I try to come to grips with all the little
> differences :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Thomas J McGrath III
[hidden email]

Lazy River Software - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com

Lazy River Metal Artâ„¢ - http://www.lazyriversoftware.com/metal.html

Meeting Wear - http://www.cafepress.com/meetingwear

Semantic Compaction Systems - http://www.minspeak.com

SCIconics, LLC - http://www.sciconics.com/sciindex.html

set cursor

Russ McBride-2

Can't do any cursor control on 2.7.1 (Mac 10.4.6)

on mouseMove x, y
          set the cursor to watch           #doesn't do anything
          #really want to set the cursor to the double i-beam though,
but can't compile this line
        set the  cursor to (the id of img "vdividecursorgif" of stack
"revMacCursors")
end mousMove

any tips appreciated.

--russ

Russ McBride
Programmer/Analyst
The Scholar's Workstation
University of California at Berkeley
510-643-6853

Re: set cursor

Dar Scott

On May 15, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Russ McBride wrote:

> on mouseMove x, y
>          set the cursor to watch           #doesn't do anything

I tried it and I can't get the watch to go away.

Dar Scott

Re: set cursor

xtalkprogrammer
Probably, the cursor changes back to default, before you see the
watch. Try this to test:

on mouseUp
   set the cursor to watch
   wait 5 seconds
end mouseUp

I'm not sure what is wrong with the last line of your script. I see
an additional space in that line which is probably something else,
maybe a tab or non-breaking space, maybe something else. I'd delete
that line and type it again.

Best,

Mark

--

Economy-x-Talk
Consultancy and Software Engineering

www.salery.biz/salery.html

Op 16-mei-2006, om 2:07 heeft Russ McBride het volgende geschreven:

> Can't do any cursor control on 2.7.1 (Mac 10.4.6)
>
> on mouseMove x, y
>          set the cursor to watch           #doesn't do anything
>          #really want to set the cursor to the double i-beam
> though, but can't compile this line
>        set the  cursor to (the id of img "vdividecursorgif" of
> stack "revMacCursors")
> end mousMove
>

> any tips appreciated.
>
> --russ

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: set cursor

Brian Yennie
If you want the cursor to "stick" - you may need to look into the
lockCursor property. Otherwise, it is reset on idle.

HTH,
- Brian

> Can't do any cursor control on 2.7.1 (Mac 10.4.6)
>
> on mouseMove x, y
>          set the cursor to watch           #doesn't do anything
>          #really want to set the cursor to the double i-beam though,
> but can't compile this line
>        set the  cursor to (the id of img "vdividecursorgif" of stack
> "revMacCursors")
> end mousMove
>

> any tips appreciated.
>
> --russ
>

> Russ McBride
> Programmer/Analyst
> The Scholar's Workstation
> University of California at Berkeley
> 510-643-6853

Re: set cursor

J. Landman Gay
Russ McBride wrote:

> Can't do any cursor control on 2.7.1 (Mac 10.4.6)
>
> on mouseMove x, y
>          set the cursor to watch           #doesn't do anything
>          #really want to set the cursor to the double i-beam though, but
> can't compile this line
>        set the  cursor to (the id of img "vdividecursorgif" of stack
> "revMacCursors")
> end mousMove

It's built-in:

    set the cursor to 31

I suspect your Mac is fast enough that the the cursor is set back to
default before you even see the vertical divider. If you only need the
cursor when the pointer is inside a particular object, you can "lock
cursor" in a mouseEnter handler and unlock it in a mouseLeave handler to
fix it.